'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU is ranked 25 on AP This Week. What If ...  (Read 6219 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: MU is ranked 25 on AP This Week. What If ...
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 06:19:41 PM »
I agree w/ the majority of your post, but if all you're worried aobut is MU's score showing up in the scroll, you will get your wish this week. We are 25 in ESPN poll and 28 in the Coaches Poll. While neither mean anything, the ESPN is the more important one because your highlights show up on ESPN, your score is shown on the front page of the ESPN CBBALL page and your score is on the scroll at the bottom of all ESPN channels.

More importantly, what will Fox1 use for their rankings?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
I agree w/ the majority of your post, but if all you're worried aobut is MU's score showing up in the scroll, you will get your wish this week. We are 25 in ESPN poll and 28 in the Coaches Poll. While neither mean anything, the ESPN is the more important one because your highlights show up on ESPN, your score is shown on the front page of the ESPN CBBALL page and your score is on the scroll at the bottom of all ESPN channels.

+1 ... and this is why the little number next to your name doesn't really matter, as long you have a little number next to your name.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »

Well, maybe now I'm confused ...

On the rankings on espn.com, they list only 2 polls: AP and USA Today Coaches. We are 25 on AP and "others receiving" on USA Today. For some reason, I thought USA Today was in cahoots with ESPN, but maybe they use AP rankings for the crawl at the bottom of the screen. If so, that would be delightful. (They also have something called the ESPN.com Power Rankings, and we aren't in the top 25 there, either.)

Most of my earlier diatribe is valid, though. Lots of the voters in the coaches' poll aren't coaches and they are clueless.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 08:34:33 PM »

Well, maybe now I'm confused ...

On the rankings on espn.com, they list only 2 polls: AP and USA Today Coaches. We are 25 on AP and "others receiving" on USA Today. For some reason, I thought USA Today was in cahoots with ESPN, but maybe they use AP rankings for the crawl at the bottom of the screen. If so, that would be delightful. (They also have something called the ESPN.com Power Rankings, and we aren't in the top 25 there, either.)

Most of my earlier diatribe is valid, though. Lots of the voters in the coaches' poll aren't coaches and they are clueless.

The USA Today poll is also the Coaches Poll which is not affiliated with ESPN, at least I don't think so. ESPN definitely uses the AP rankings for all ranking denotations on the internet, tv, etc.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
The USA Today poll is also the Coaches Poll which is not affiliated with ESPN, at least I don't think so. ESPN definitely uses the AP rankings for all ranking denotations on the internet, tv, etc.

OK. Then, as Emily Litella used to say ... never mind!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »
Also Boise seemed like 90% Utah State fans when we played them in 2009.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 07:35:53 AM »
OK. Then, as Emily Litella used to say ... never mind!

When it comes to rankings, 'It just goes to show ya   there's always something'

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »

Prior to this year, it was affiliated.  The official name of the poll was the "USA Today/ESPN Top 25 Men's College Basketball Poll."

ESPN did not use the AP rankings in their ticker (or just about anywhere on the network, for that matter) up until this year, but now that's all changed.  Not sure what happened -- if it was a controversial thing like the football poll, or perhaps simply the non-renewal of an expired contract -- but apparently Mickey doesn't read the USA Today anymore.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
I have a better what if...

What if...

• Marquette beats Seton Hall and upsets Cincy this week? I'm guessing up to #22.
  • Marquette beats Providence at home the next Saturday? I'm guessing up to #19 on attrition.
  • Marquette beats USF and then shocks #1 Louisville at the Yum! for their first Big East loss? I'm guessing up to #13.
  • Marquette beats USF and DePaul? I'm guessing up to #11.
  • Marquette completes the sweep of Georgetown and Pittsburgh? I'm guessing up to #8.
  • Marquette beats Seton Hall and Nova on the road? I'm guessing up to #6.
  • Marquette beats ranked Syracuse and Notre Dame teams at home in the same week? I'm guessing up to #4.
  • Marquette finishes the regular season beating Rutgers and St. John's on the road to finish the Big East season 18-0? I'm guessing up to #2.
  • Marquette wins the Big East Tournament? I think we go into the NCAAs as the #1 team in the land and 1-seed in the Midwest.
Granted, I'd only give that all only about a 50% chance of happening (either it does or doesn't, only 2 options, so 50% ;D) but I'll take those odds  8-)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »

What if...

• Marquette beats Seton Hall and upsets Cincy this week? I'm guessing up to #22.
  • Marquette beats Providence at home the next Saturday? I'm guessing up to #19 on attrition.
  • Marquette beats USF and then shocks #1 Louisville at the Yum! for their first Big East loss? I'm guessing up to #13.
  • Marquette completes the sweep of Georgetown and Pittsburgh? I'm guessing up to #8.
  • Marquette beats ranked Syracuse and Notre Dame teams at home in the same week? I'm guessing up to #4.
  • Marquette finishes the regular season beating Rutgers and St. John's on the road to finish the Big East season 18-0? I'm guessing up to #2.
  • Marquette wins the Big East Tournament? I think we go into the NCAAs as the #1 team in the land and 1-seed in the Midwest.
Granted, I'd only give that all only about a 50% chance of happening (either it does or doesn't, only 2 options, so 50% ;D) but I'll take those odds  8-)

I really hope that we can win our next 3 at home and Cincy on the road. Buzz has 6 days to prepare for Louisville. I like our chances to be first in the Big East after 8 games if the boys can take care of Cincy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »

What if...

Granted, I'd only give that all only about a 50% chance of happening (either it does or doesn't, only 2 options, so 50% ;D) but I'll take those odds  8-)

You are da optimistic man, brew!

Me? I'd settle for not getting upset by Seton Hall!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
You are da optimistic man, brew!

Me? I'd settle for not getting upset by Seton Hall!

Well...what if doesn't mean I think it will happen ;)

But one can dream. Of course, I would follow that up with Marquette beating 16-seed Green Bay, beating 8-seed Kentucky to get to the Sweet 16, beating 4-seed Butler to get to the Elite 8, beating 2-seed Kansas to get to the Final Four, beating Iscariot Wing Syracuse to get to the Final, and beating Tom Crean and Indiana in the Final.

Final record: 36-3 (18-0), Big East Tourney champs, National Champs. And everyone comes back for next year, including Otule who wins the lottery and pays his own way and Marquette enters the year with the #1 ranking en route to a wire-to-wire 40-0 record.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »
I can smell-l-l-l-l what the brew is cookin!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »
Is it too early to say I'm nervous about Feb. 6 at South Florida?

Our last two games there we have a 1 point win and a 1 point loss, with both games in the 50s.  This year we play there 9 days after we get them at home and 3 days after playing at Louisville.  Definitely a trap game.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »

Our last two games there we have a 1 point win and a 1 point loss, with both games in the 50s.  This year we play there 9 days after we get them at home and 3 days after playing at Louisville.  Definitely a trap game.

All right, all right, all right.  Time to bust out some Admiral Ackbar....
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »

When this league goes kaput, that's one team I won't be at all disappointed to see off the schedule. That place has been a house of horrors for us. That is a dangerous game, my hope is that we don't blow the doors off them the first time. If they can stay close in Milwaukee, say within 10, I think we'll take them seriously. If not, it could be another to-the-wire finish in Tampa.

Though if we're going to look ahead, the last two at Rutgers and St. John's are starting to look a bit more dangerous.

feedback