[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Elizabeth Edwards, Shut up.  (Read 10810 times)

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
Elizabeth Edwards, Shut up.
« on: August 08, 2007, 09:43:12 AM »
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

I know Chico's and Murff aren't particularly found of John Edwards, but I was wondering what everyone thinks of all this.  Am I the only one that thinks his wife is overstepping her role in his campaign and should just shut up?  I am certainly no extreme liberal, but I am most certainly left-leaning on most things.  As such, I've considered Edwards as a solid candidate, but I'm just getting sick of hearing about his wife.  Between this, her spat with Ann Coulter on Hardball, and... I forgot, I could swear she did something else in recent weeks, am I the only one that's getting sick of her and thinks that she is hurting his campaign?

Let's try to keep this thread free of haircut jokes too.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:44:55 AM by eaglewarrior08 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Elizabeth Edwards, Shut up.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
I'm not an Edwards supporter, first.

I don't have a problem with most of these incidents, including this one.  Some candidate's spouses are in the background, others are not, for whatever reason.   What she said there was pretty true.  The media are in love with Clinton and Obama for a variety of reasons, their gender and race included.

Hillary can schlep out her spouse and get headlines instantly.  The Edwards campaign thinks Elizabeth helps their campaign and so lets her loose, and directs her to do this stuff.  No way she calls Coulter on her own for sh1ts and giggles.  -- Bottom line .. even if he's the smartest guy in the country and has got the best plan for America .. they've gotta get media attention or they are dead meat.  Elizabeth Edwards helps that cause.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:14:25 AM »
Yes, I think she has overstepped.

Second, I don't see why people pay this guy 2 cents of attention.  What has he done?  The guy wasn't even going to win re-election as a Senator in his own state which is why he didn't re-run.  He seems brutally naive and his two Americas would go down a lot easier if he wasn't such a hypocrite on that issue.

I agree with Hilltopper, I'm cynical that they are using her because of her medical condition to exploit folks...the woman should be trying to get well in my opinion.

I can't believe we have another year of this stuff.  Hillary has the nomination and it's just a matter of who goes on the ticket with her, which I suspect 99% it will be Barak Obama.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:43:19 AM »
Gee - why cant all wives be like George Bush's wife - what is her name?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »
Gee - why cant all wives be like George Bush's wife - what is her name?

Nothing wrong with sitting in the background when your spouse is the one running for office or currently in office - not you.  This is especially true when the majority of what has come from the spouse's mouth in this case is incessent whining about something - Ann Coulter being mean, her husband not getting enough attention, etc.  Let the one running for office take care of things on their own.  If they feel some sort of injustice is taking place against them, let the candidate be the one to step up and do something about it.  That shows leadership and responsibility.  Saying "Hey honey, call up Hardball to argue with Ann Coulter about something that happened years ago and then tell the media that I'm not getting attention because I'm not black or a woman so that I can get some attention" does not show leadership.  It shows cowardice.  Take your campaign attention into your own hands.  The candidates are all going to have to act like big boys and girls if they hope to run the country.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:58:43 AM by eaglewarrior08 »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:03:07 AM »
Nothing wrong with a Strong wife either - cant stand those wimpy girls. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:01 AM »
I think you're all right, in a way.  Strong wives are great, but not always vocal or obvious.  The incessant whining is distracting at best, and horribly irritating at worst.  Some strong spouses just make a lot of noise and do nothing (hillary and her health care committee) and others don't make much noise and do a lot (barbara bush, elizabeth dole, etc.).  I guess what underlies all of it is a germ of truth; edwards doesn't get the press of obama and hillary, because he is a white male, but also (my opinion) because he is unqualified.  I hope to ignore all of it for at lease another 6 months, when the crap floats to the top. 

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 11:48:02 AM »

Mrs. Bush is very strong in what she does but doesn't try and jump in the media to get more press for GW. She's done a lot of philanthropy and stuff along that lines.  'speak softly and carry a big stick'

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 12:56:46 PM »

No problem here with strong women but could they be right once in awhile?   ;D

I'd take a Maggie Thatcher, Jeanne Kirkpatrick in a heartbeat right now, sorry but Liz Edwards doesn't cut for me (nor does Liz Dole for that matter).

mviale

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 01:25:18 PM »
Chicos - I could definitely see you with those gals.  Kirkpatrick & maggie.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 02:51:23 PM »

Mrs. Bush is very strong in what she does but doesn't try and jump in the media to get more press for GW. She's done a lot of philanthropy and stuff along that lines.  'speak softly and carry a big stick'

Well lets say a law firm associate may have more to say than a librarian. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 02:55:14 PM »

Well lets say a law firm associate may have more to say than a librarian. 

Doubtful, the law firm associate is too busy shredding documents and covering up.  I'll take the honest librarian, more sexy anyway.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 03:00:43 PM »
Mviale - No one was bashing the fact that Elizabeth Edwards is a strong woman.  She most certainly is and is also very successful at her job.  The issue we all seem to have with her though, is that her husband is the one running for President, not her.  If Mr. Edwards has issues with his media attention, well then maybe he would try to do something about it instead of having his wife attempt to do the dirty work.  My guess is that this little tactic is doing more hurt than help to his campaign.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 03:06:40 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »
eagle - your explanation says it all.  Out here in the bay area, we have a different perspective. 

Another day in paradise!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 06:59:08 PM »
eagle - your explanation says it all.  Out here in the bay area, we have a different perspective. 

Another day in paradise!

From Philadelphia to San Francisco.   Ah, a liberal wet dream and a journey you soon won't forget. 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 08:00:18 PM »
On balance I think Edward's wife hurts him when she speaks out-----she's obviously extremely biased so why would anyone be swayed by anything she says-------by speaking out IMO she oversteps her bounds-----wifes help candidates by staying in the background and saying the correct things in a low key non controversial way when asked in interviews.

Stepping into the controverseries and offering opinions are self defeating----Kerry's wife is a good example----lately Fred Thompson has been criticized for his wife steeping forward n his campaign.

A good doctor never operates on a relative because he's emotionally tied to that person!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 10:33:25 PM »
I think Bill Clinton helps Hillary - is this a gender issue for yall?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 12:10:42 AM »

Absolutely true....I mean she couldn't stand up to her own husband and will be reminded of that every day of the campaign, but she's supposed to stand up to the world's dictators.   ::)

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 07:57:53 AM »

I agree that Bill helps Hillary, but it's a completely different scenario.  Bill has for the most part sit in the background of Hillary's campaign.  I haven't heard him complaining to the media about their view of his wife or anything else.  The only times I have even heard Bill mentioned is when Hillary gets asked about the role she would have him play if she was elected to office.  Much different than Elizabeth Edwards who is calling into TV shows to argue with a noted psycho conservative who is hated by even most republicans.  Let things that happened years ago be.  No need to bring them up in hopes of getting your husband some limelight.  I agree that what Coulter said about Edwards and his son was horrible, but act like the bigger person in the situation.

It's ironic that you are attempting to make my views and the views of others who have agreed with me on this situation out to be a discriminatory issue when that's the EXACT thing that Edwards has done - John isn't getting the attention because he isn't black and isn't a woman.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 08:42:25 AM »
When a marriage involves 2 lawyers or individuals advanced in prestigious careers, the rules change a bit for the spouses.  Now if a Librarian overshadowed a former governor of Texas, I agree that would be wierd.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 08:57:37 AM »
When a marriage involves 2 lawyers or individuals advanced in prestigious careers, the rules change a bit for the spouses.  Now if a Librarian overshadowed a former governor of Texas, I agree that would be wierd.

No one is asking her not to be a strong woman and openly show her support for John.  The problem is that she seems to do so in a complaining/whining sort of way to the media.  I just don't see how that helps John's campaign.

Do the rules change when the spouse is a former President?  I would think so, but you don't see Bill throwing himself to the media every other day.

Agree to disagree.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »
I didnt interpret that blog as whining.  I agree that Hillary and Barak get more media coverage as they are potention firsts.

This is truth, not whining.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 12:07:35 PM »

Is Bill still a lawyer after his disbarment?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 10:06:36 PM »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 11:07:33 PM »
what you mean 'we'?, kimo sabe?