Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pitt SOTG  (Read 10334 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Pitt SOTG
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
Gotta be Vander! DG is unreal though.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
Blue. Not even close, really.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
OK, I'm going to say this about Derrick Wilson, and I know I'm going to get roasted here.

Derrick Wilson was fine.  And yeah he had only one turnover.  But he also had only one point...and one assist.  He passed the ball around efficiently, but doesn't break down a defense in any manner.  I think he was solid, but not SOTG worthy.

I'm with you Sultan.  D Wilson was huge but not SOTG.  His growth challenge for next year will to become a modest, but real, offensive threat.  That's what he can do to make everyone else better around him.  But no complaints.  We asked a Sophomore to manage the team on the road.  He did a fine job.

connie

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »
Vander.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »
Vander Blue and its not close. Was good from start to finish.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
13lue for sure.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Billybob

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »
JWilson, stop getting your hand caught in the cookie jar.

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
Vander. Dwil was great, but Vander tipped the scales. Best player on the court today

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »
I don't think you can say it was Vander and no one else was close. Gardner was a machine and masked a lkt of half court weaknesses. In fact I'd lkke to see the value add, I bet it's pretty even between the two if not a slight edge to Gardner. If a couple of JWilson's in and out Js went down he'd have a strong case too. Really hope he starts putting up those kind of shots at that kind of volume with regularity.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
How in the world could everyone be adamant that Lockett couldn't win because of a foul on a 3.  But people will boast about how awesome Gardner was in a game where he struggled.  He threw the ball into the upper deck and lost a easy rebound on a key late FT, both of which easily could have lost us the game.

I'd go with Mayo, making FTs down the stretch and handling the ball, since you couldn't risk Wilson having the rock (55% FT shooter).

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
Jamil
I don't think you can say it was Vander and no one else was close. Gardner was a machine and masked a lkt of half court weaknesses. In fact I'd lkke to see the value add, I bet it's pretty even between the two if not a slight edge to Gardner. If a couple of JWilson's in and out Js went down he'd have a strong case too. Really hope he starts putting up those kind of shots at that kind of volume with regularity.

Jamil can create his own shot and a lot of the time they look great until they rim out or simply miss. If he can hit those more consistently this team will have another reliable weapon. He's been a slight disappointment thus far

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
Vander Blue hands down.  C'mon.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
Cadougans mom.... Or vander.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »
VBlue.  Though I did like how JWil stepped up and hit some shots today.  Good all around game except the last 1.2 or regulation.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »
How in the world could everyone be adamant that Lockett couldn't win because of a foul on a 3.  But people will boast about how awesome Gardner was in a game where he struggled.  He threw the ball into the upper deck and lost a easy rebound on a key late FT, both of which easily could have lost us the game.

I'd go with Mayo, making FTs down the stretch and handling the ball, since you couldn't risk Wilson having the rock (55% FT shooter).

Mayo's FTs were hit when the game was already won.  His first FT was with :53 left in OT and stretched MU's lead from 6 to 7.  He didn't even enter the game in OT until Jamil fouled out.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »
Blue, has has really stepped up and been the player we need.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
Blue, but Gardner is bringing it game after game.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
Anyone who voted for Gardner this week after not voting for Trent last week is being a hypocrite. Gardner trying to make the long pass instead of bottling up the ball and taking the foul (as our best FT shooter) was just as dire as Lockett's mistake last week. It allowed the game to stay at 1 possession which allowed that 3 PT to bring us to OT.

That said:

Blue
DG
Anderson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
I can understand the love for Derrick and I'm a big fan of rewarding the guy who does all the "little things." But ...

Vander made what would have been the game's biggest basket late in regulation (had we not screwed up and let them tie), and then he was clutch in OT.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »

Huh?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »
Anyone who voted for Gardner this week after not voting for Trent last week is being a hypocrite. Gardner trying to make the long pass instead of bottling up the ball and taking the foul (as our best FT shooter) was just as dire as Lockett's mistake last week. It allowed the game to stay at 1 possession which allowed that 3 PT to bring us to OT.

That said:
Blue
DG
Anderson
Agreed.  Gardner made way too many mistakes late in the game to be considered in my opinion.  1) gave up the big OR on a FT!! leading to a Pitt bucket, 2) got back late on D leading to a wide open Pitt bucket, 3)the bizarre "fast break"-throw the ball 8 rows into the stands which ultimately led to the 3 to tie the game.

But, he scores, and we know that's all that matters.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
Its so obviously my boy Vander Blue.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2013, 05:44:26 PM »
Gotta go with Blue.

We would have a lot less stressful games if we had that type of clutch shooting down the stretch on a regular basis.

Kikito MU89

• Walk-On
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »
VB
Watched the game from the Ucker seats at the PEC. Great game, but it's never easy for the Warriors.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
I think you have to consider that Wilson left the court after banging heads hard enough to give the other player a concussion. One might assume Wilson played the rest of this game with a headache. What he brings to the floor is toughness, which probably encourages, by leadership, the other MU players to play tough.

feedback