[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What a shock at Madison...  (Read 6154 times)

ecompt

• All American
What a shock at Madison...
« on: August 06, 2007, 07:26:35 PM »
Wisconsin running back Lance Smith, who was charged with battery and disorderly conduct last month, was reinstated to the team Monday just before the first practice of the season.
The sophomore was suspended after being arrested by Madison police after an alleged dispute with his girlfriend on July 14. Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez lifted the ban an hour before practice.
Smith has pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanor charges that he pushed down his girlfriend during an argument over a cab fare, refused to let her leave his apartment and took her money and shoes.
If convicted, Smith faces up to nine months in prison and a $10,000 fine on the battery charge and up to 90 days in prison and a $1,000 fine on the disorderly conduct charge.

Glad to see the university take a stand. That suspension really mattered.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: What a shock at Madison...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:21:26 PM »
this is the same dude that hit his girlfriend and stole her shoes over a $5 cab ride---and had the whole incident caught on videotape.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:07:05 PM »
gotta love the MAD-town athletic dept.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:15:51 PM »
I know the left-wing nuts over there will scream about "due process" but this stuff has happened too many times.  Of course, this is a school where a professor claims the U.S. blew up the World Trade Center... 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »
Speaking of trouble on campus ...

ND's Hand arrested on solicitation charge

Derrell Hand, 20, a University of Notre Dame defensive end/nose tackle, was arrested and jailed Thursday afternoon for allegedly propositioning a prostitute.

Hand, who was suspended indefinitely from the team Friday, was released from the St. Joseph County Jail on $250 bond Thursday.

Hand, a junior from Philadelphia, was expected to compete for a starting spot or to be a key reserve at defensive end, even though he had not seen action during his first two seasons at ND.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/Sports/708050350/1021/Sports

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 08:24:31 AM »
this is the same dude that hit his girlfriend and stole her shoes over a $5 cab ride---and had the whole incident caught on videotape.

There's a videotape? Seriously, I have to see that. Domestic violence is absolutely despicable, but there is something funny about the fact that he took her shoes so she couldn't leave. That's like something my brothers and sisters would have done when we were 6 years old.
We Are Marquette

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
Key difference between ND and Madison is that Hand is suspended indefinitely and will most likely never wear an ND uniform again in his life, while this guy and others at Madison serve their joke suspensions and are reinstated.

I know most of you detest ND, but they don't mess around with discipline for their athletes.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 09:20:24 AM »

There's a videotape? Seriously, I have to see that. Domestic violence is absolutely despicable, but there is something funny about the fact that he took her shoes so she couldn't leave. That's like something my brothers and sisters would have done when we were 6 years old.

Of course domestic violence is despicable, but this hardly sounds like "violence." It sounds like a typical college-age dispute between a couple of immature kids. I'm not condoning pushing people and I do not do it myself, but it's not "violence."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:59:36 AM »

Of course domestic violence is despicable, but this hardly sounds like "violence." It sounds like a typical college-age dispute between a couple of immature kids. I'm not condoning pushing people and I do not do it myself, but it's not "violence."

A D-1 football player hitting and shoving his girlfriend is not violence??????

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »

Where does it say he hit her? And if you can define the difference between a "shove," "push," and "nudge," I'm all ears.

You realize this is a misdemeanor, right?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 10:26:12 AM »
The point is, this happens at Madison all the time, and nothing is ever done about it. He faces 10 1/2 months of jail time and the university says it's perfectly OK to play football.

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 10:45:48 AM »
I am guessing that if MU had an additional 100 or so athletes on campus, you would see some more incidents.  Just more likely to have problems the more people you have.  Now, the timing of lifting the suspension is a tad convenient for the team, now isn't it?  Especially considering there is no word as to whether Clay will be eligible come fall.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 12:29:01 PM »

Where does it say he hit her? And if you can define the difference between a "shove," "push," and "nudge," I'm all ears.

You realize this is a misdemeanor, right?

Here's the original article from when it happened.

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/tct/2007/07/18/0707180220.php

"push to the ground" and "batter" don't sound to me like a love tap or playful wrestling that got out of hand.  The dude was drunk and he hit his girlfriend and knocked her down.  That's not cool in my book.  Misdemeanor, felony, citation or nothing.

But I'm not surprised at all that you are defending a wifebeater. 

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 12:35:10 PM »
Key difference between ND and Madison is that Hand is suspended indefinitely and will most likely never wear an ND uniform again in his life, while this guy and others at Madison serve their joke suspensions and are reinstated.

I know most of you detest ND, but they don't mess around with discipline for their athletes.

That's because they are a school founded on morals and like to keep up their snobby reputation by kicking out anyone that stains the schools rep...which is good, but i still despise ND.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
really didn't see prn defending a wifebeater..., rather trying to get facts of the incident straight.  I agree about the convenient suspensions at uw- goes back to sam okey and his 2 preseason game suspension for pot under dick bennett.  the toughest the school has ever been was when the ncaa was involved in the shoe scandal..., and then they were allowed to stagger the suspensions, so as not to have all the guilty players gone at the same time.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 12:59:21 PM »
But I'm not surprised at all that you are defending a wifebeater. 

Great comment. The validity of your opinions certainly grows by leaps and bounds.

No where does it say that he pushed her to the ground. And I could be charged with battery for bumping into somebody in line at a concession stand. Especially if the "victim" was by a delicate sort...such as ZiggysFryBoy.

I repeat for the reading impaired, I'm not condoning pushing people. This kid was in the wrong and was punished and embarrassed. But there's a HUGE difference between a push and "violence."

I suspect goofball knows this, but is simply arguing for the sake of bashing Madison.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 01:45:16 PM »
Point taken, PRN. The only words I would argue are "punished and embarrassed." Punished how, exactly? What was the punishment? Suspension from the team during a period when nothing is happening? Now that's a deterrent.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 02:48:13 PM »
lets keep our minds on the subject at hand, madison is way too lax on it's athletes, don't need to make it a personal issue between members on this board.

romey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »

Derrell Hand, 20, a University of Notre Dame defensive end/nose tackle, was arrested and jailed Thursday afternoon for allegedly propositioning a prostitute.

Hand, who was suspended indefinitely from the team Friday, was released from the St. Joseph County Jail on $250 bond Thursday.

Hand, a junior from Philadelphia, was expected to compete for a starting spot or to be a key reserve at defensive end, even though he had not seen action during his first two seasons at ND.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/Sports/708050350/1021/Sports

There's a joke here about a guy named "hand" propositioning a prostitute, but I won't go there.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 09:41:10 PM »

There's a joke here about a guy named "hand" propositioning a prostitute, but I won't go there.

Man, did Hand ever get jobbed.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »

That's because they are a school founded on morals and like to keep up their snobby reputation by kicking out anyone that stains the schools rep...which is good, but i still despise ND.

didn't ND have one of their hoops starters busted with grass, and played later in the season?
now THAT's discipline.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
You are completely incorrect regarding Kyle McAlarney and ND.  He was busted for pot, KICKED OUT OF SCHOOL for the semester, and reapplied this summer and was readmitted.

I know the rush to knock ND is strong here, but let's get our facts straight.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 08:13:45 AM »

so how are the mcalarney/hand situations different in terms of discipline at ND?
you said hand will most likely never play at nd again.
yet kyle is dismissed FOR A SEMESTER???? 'reapplies' and returns?

that's messing around with athletic discipline, imo.
regardless of the 'severity' of the illegal activity.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
How is that messing around with academic discipline?  McAlarney was expelled from the University with the provision that he could re-apply for admission at the next term.  This is exactly the same punishment that would have occurred for any ND student under ND's code of conduct, which is known as Du Lac.  ND students who are caught with drugs go before a disciplinary panel and are subject to expulsion from the university for a semester.  McAlarney was treated the same as any ND student.

Somehow I doubt that Madison would have treated an ordinary student who physically assaulted his girlfriend in the same manner as they treat a football player. 

I don't think that Hand will play again for ND because of the Rashon Powers-Neal precedent.  RPN was the starting fullback for ND in 2005 and was busted for a DUI while at home on fall break.  He was suspended by ND for the remainder of the season.  Hand has been suspended indefinitely, and he will most likely be kicked out of school as well.

Regardless of how one feels about ND, ND does make a much stronger effort to discipline athletes than Madison, or other state schools.  I am sure that Marquette would not tolerate criminal behavior from athletes either.  At least I sure hope we wouldn't.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 09:24:35 AM »
Ozmetal,

You are correct, ND does it right.  When the MacArlaney situation occurred, ND was criticized for taking too severe an action.  Its a shame Wisconsin doesn't take a similar approach.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson