Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If....  (Read 2876 times)

tower912

• All American
If....
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
....Clark's shot had not fallen for Butler, and Jake's shot had fallen against UWGB, would we still be saying how disappointed in (fill in the whipping boy of the day here)?     Because if those two shots go the other way, chances are we are on the fringe of the rankings.    I confess that I am disappointed in the play of a couple of players on the team.   I am not sure how I would feel if we were a one-loss team right now, which isn't actually that far away. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: If....
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
Well Buzz's victory over LSU yesterday was his first non-preseason tournament SEC win!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
Hopefully, we can get couple breaks in BE play to make for those shots.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »
....Clark's shot had not fallen for Butler, and Jake's shot had fallen against UWGB, would we still be saying how disappointed in (fill in the whipping boy of the day here)?     Because if those two shots go the other way, chances are we are on the fringe of the rankings.    I confess that I am disappointed in the play of a couple of players on the team.   I am not sure how I would feel if we were a one-loss team right now, which isn't actually that far away. 

Beating Butler doesn't guarantee wins over UNC and Illinois - we might  have 2 losses (instead of 3 or 1). That said, with 1 or 2 or maybe 3 more "good wins" and 1 or 2 fewer losses we'd all probably feel at least a little better about our team.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
Beating Butler doesn't guarantee wins over UNC and Illinois - we might  have 2 losses (instead of 3 or 1). That said, with 1 or 2 or maybe 3 more "good wins" and 1 or 2 fewer losses we'd all probably feel at least a little better about our team.

I agree.  This team is still coming together.  We got to have a heart-breaker against Butler (who is now ranked), and 2 more wins.  That really might be the best possible outcome for the team.

Obviously it would have been nice to win it all, but I don't think this team has it quite together yet for that to have happened.

I think this team will be a lot like the Acker/Cubilan team.  They will come together late to get a spot in the tourney.  Once in the tourney I would hate to be the team opposite us.

I know it is unlikely, but I could see this team being the type of team that if they make it to the tournament makes a cinderella run from the 10-12 seed to the final 4.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
For me, it's not entirely 'bout the W/L record. The manner in which they win or lose as well as the general overall impression one gets when observing this team that makes me uneasy. That said, I come to view the non-conference portion of the schedule in a different way. Kinda like exhibition baseball before the start of the regular season.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
This post is stupid there's always a million what ifs.  In 09-10 IF FSU, WVU, Nova, Notre Dame and Washington all don't make a shot in the last seconds of the game then we are one of the top teams in the nation and probably go to the sweet 16.  But they did and its the same as this year because jake Thomas missed Rotnei Clarke hit it.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:33:48 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »
The team probably is exactly where they belong in regard to record. Honestly me BE expecations are low. This team is a work in process and nothing surprises me anymore. Not sure about the rest of you but this has been the longest NC season to me. a ton has happened on and off court and no ready to see some better ball.

Tony Two Times

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »
If ya Mother had balls she'd be ya Dad. She'd by ya Dad.

What ifs aint gonna getcha on the subway to Queens.

MU_LOL

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
For me, it's not entirely 'bout the W/L record. The manner in which they win or lose as well as the general overall impression one gets when observing this team that makes me uneasy. That said, I come to view the non-conference portion of the schedule in a different way. Kinda like exhibition baseball before the start of the regular season.

I suppose this is true to some extent, but I think our Ws and Ls would matter more than the overall impression come tourney time.

Unless this thread is all about the feels; in which case, disregard.
I'm Ron Burgundy?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »

Good points

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »
Yeah, and if Jimmy Butler hadn't made all those buzzer-beaters a few years ago, we wouldn't have had a successful season. And if Junior hadn't come out of nowhere in the Big East tourney a couple years ago, we wouldn't have made the tournament. And if ...

There are a gazillion ways to play the "if" game. Clark did make his shot. Jake didn't. Can't change that. Especially can't change the fact that the Green Bay game came down to a final shot by somebody who is a borderline D-I player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback