Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas 3 Point Shooting  (Read 15884 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Jake Thomas 3 Point Shooting
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I certainly expected Jake to shoot better from the 3 than Vander - but as thrilled as we've been with Vander's performance this year...they are virtually identical from the 3 - Jake is 9 of 29, Vander 10 of 30.  

Certainly would like both Vander and Jake to step up their 3 points shooting percentages as it would bode well for the team moving forward.  Interesting to look at Jake, Vander, Trent and Junior side by side in all categories:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=junior-cadougan&p1=jake-thomas&p2=vander-blue&p3=trent-lockett
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »

If you go back and look at his statistics, he had one good year as a 3 point shooter.  His freshman year where he played limited minutes.  (44%).  His last year at USD he shot about 35%, which is roughly Jae's percentage from last year and JFB's from the year before.  So while that was a threat, that is hardly a top level three point threat.

Now that he has stepped up in class, it isn't rocket science to see why his percentage has dropped even further.

He played the same amount of minutes his freshman and sophomore years at 33MPG. He is two shots made away from being an above average trey shooter percentage wise this season. The part where I agree is that with the TJT and Todd situations, he became the primary 2G off the bench which does not fit his ability at this level.  He is a talented situational--a zone stretcher, a end of half shot from deep, if down double digits put him in to launch.  He has been forced to play roles for the good of the team...and he has done it efficiently. Not only has his FG% suffered so has his FT%...he is forcing it as he adapts.  Remember DJO's slow shooting starts?  Jake will be fine as Todd returns to form. Have appreciated his team contributions to date.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/jake-thomas
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:55:56 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »
He played the same amount of minutes his freshman and sophomore years at 33MPG. He is two shots made away from being an above average trey shooter percentage wise this season. The part where I agree is that with the TJT and Todd situations, he became the primary 2G off the bench which does not fit his ability at this level.  He is a talented situational--a zone stretcher, a end of half shot from deep, if down double digits put him in to launch.  He has been forced to play roles for the good of the team...and he has done it efficiently. Not only has his FG% suffered so has his FT%...he is forcing it as he adapts.  Remember DJO's slow shooting starts?  Jake will be fine as Todd returns to form. Have appreciated his team contributions to date.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/marquette/jake-thomas

Thanks for the correction on the minutes....I also got the percentages off a bit.  Blah...

But I agree with your synopsis about his role and how he should be utilized moving forward.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »
I think Buzz's offense encourages always looking for the player with a better shot. Whether true or not I can see Thomas getting the ball and thinking about whether he should pass it before he shoots it. At South Dakota I suspect he was thinking shoot first, pass second. Having to think first about passing results in less shots and therefore in theory hinders a rhythm shooter from getting in rhythm. Having watched him many times in the pro am, I have seen him miss several shots in a row and then all of sudden he goes off hits three threes in less than a minute. He is definitely a rhythm shooter, who just might not ever get enough shots to get in rhythm during an actual game.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
Thomas is of no use if he's not making deep jumpers. At this point, he's not even a threat to pump fake and every defense knows it.

If people truly believe Thomas is a worthy role player and has earned credits with his "defense" and/or "rebounding", it shows just how low the bar has dropped relative to team expectations.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 09:38:32 AM »
Thomas is of no use if he's not making deep jumpers. At this point, he's not even a threat to pump fake and every defense knows it.

If people truly believe Thomas is a worthy role player and has earned credits with his "defense" and/or "rebounding", it shows just how low the bar has dropped relative to team expectations.
Well we will all see how much time Thomas's playing time drops with the return of Mayo and start of Big East. Buzz knows more than any of us. My prediction is that his court time does not fall greatly from the time we were playing without Mayo.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
Sultan,

You're not being unfair, I just want to make sure we are accurate with what we are talking about.

A high-volume shooter with a decent % could probably be more efficient in a reduced role, so going strictly by the % isn't telling Jake's whole story. We also have to account for better competition, which I think we have.

Mayo and Thomas have nothing to do with each other... I only bring it up because some posters love Mayo as a "shooter", but then on the same message board, people claim that Jake Thomas isn't much of a "shooter".

Todd's ability to put the ball on the floor makes him a far better player, but I'm skeptical of him as a "shooter".
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:04:55 AM by Guns n Ammo »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »

I think what most folks are saying is that IF Jake can be a 35%+ guy from 3 that his defense/rebounding is 'good enough' to warrant a few minutes in specific match-up situations.  I think most here recognize that he's a walk-on and has to date been asked to play a role above his ability level.  We're simply hopeful that a reduced role will help his shot.  If he can't hit at least 35%, then he'll revert to end of the bench walk-on status in BEast play.  Of course everyone agrees that Vander/JWil/Mayo at 30-32% are FAR superior options.  But if Jake could hit 40%.... Say adios to the 2/3 zone.

An analogous argument (albeit at a totally different level) was DG's offensive prowess offset (at least in prior years) by his defensive liability.  The latter has markedly improved this year so what we only really worry about now is how many minutes he can be effective.  We'd all love it if that number could go from 20 to 25 without a dropoff.  So Jake could earn 8-10 a game depending on the situation or zero.  We'll see.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 10:33:03 AM »
Sultan,

You're not being unfair, I just want to make sure we are accurate with what we are talking about.

A high-volume shooter with a decent % could probably be more efficient in a reduced role, so going strictly by the % isn't telling Jake's whole story. We also have to account for better competition, which I think we have.

Mayo and Thomas have nothing to do with each other... I only bring it up because some posters love Mayo as a "shooter", but then on the same message board, people claim that Jake Thomas isn't much of a "shooter".

Todd's ability to put the ball on the floor makes him a far better player, but I'm skeptical of him as a "shooter".

OK, agreed on all of this.

IMO this isn't about Jake as it is about Scooper's unrealistic expectations.

feedback