Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Mayo decision pushed back  (Read 8977 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Mayo decision pushed back
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
Mayo decision pushed back

Coach Buzz Williams said Wednesday he will try to meet with Todd Mayo's mother Thursday.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/184116051.html

chapman

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Mayo decision pushed back
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
Interesting.  Appears it's completely a team & academic commitment issue at this point, not an eligibility issue.  Kudos to Buzz for making sure it's really the right thing to reinstate, even if the NCAA and MU minimum requirements give an all clear.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »
This is exactly why I'm not counting on Mayo just yet. Maybe he's allowed to play in the LSU game, but I think Buzz needs more of a show of faith than simply "I passed my classes" to earn his way back on to the bench. Considering how much importance Buzz puts on non-con games, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Mayo didn't see time until the Georgetown game, just to make sure his commitment and dedication isn't wavering.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JD

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »
So....Mayo needs to sit down with Dad and say "yes i'm sorry, i worked hard on my classes, it won't happen again, please forgive me, i'm ready to work hard"  just to play?

I don't understand why mom has to be there, either he's going to do the work or he isn't.  Words don't mean a thing...

Really don't see the point in this run-around, why make her fly to milwaukee.  What' the difference if it's a conference call? If Buzz really wanted to show he cares about the kids and families why doesn't Buzz take the private jet there?  Just childish if you ask me, either Todd works and earns his spot or not, i don't think a family meeting is necessary.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
I think you make a commitment to the parents at the same time you make a commitment to the kids. It is good to have an understanding with the parents, so they do not blame you for not taking care of their son.

pumata

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
Mayo decision pushed back

Coach Buzz Williams said Wednesday he will try to meet with Todd Mayo's mother Thursday.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/184116051.html

I like and trust this man. I believe Mr Williams knows the value of family commitment. Bringing Mr Mayo's mother into the solution will solidify the young man's commitment to the team. I met Alisha a few years back and she is a force to be reckoned with. Make no mistake in that one of her great disappointments was in her son OJ not getting a sheepskin. She will ensure young Mr Mayo tends to business. There is no force more powerful than a loving African American mother and Todd will do well to abide.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »
What?  Other Moms are a less powerful force?  Wish you had met mine.

pumata

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
What?  Other Moms are a less powerful force?  Wish you had met mine.

The love of a mother knows no race, color, creed, or religion. Jewish colleagues in my law firm believe they have the market cornered in this regard and there is a strong body of evidence in literature, cinema, and other media to support this. While there is merit to their belief but I would still pit my mother against all comers. Bottom line is that every mother wants the best for their children. I have done some work for Derrick Thomas' mother Edith who raised him as a war widow. His induction into the Hall of Fame was second only to his graduating from college.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
Then you take back your earlier statement that African American mothers are the most powerful force?  Do me a favor.  No response is necessary.  However, stating that one race's mothers are superior does sound biased and makes you sound like Rob Parker who accused RG III of not being black enough.  Did they not teach students at MU not to make sweeping generalizations?  Again, rhetorical question not requiring your response.

pumata

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Then you take back your earlier statement that African American mothers are the most powerful force?  Do me a favor.  No response is necessary.  However, stating that one race's mothers are superior does sound biased and makes you sound like Rob Parker who accused RG III of not being black enough.  Did they not teach students at MU not to make sweeping generalizations?  Again, rhetorical question not requiring your response.

Please see my other post. As a son of Africa I have considerable respect for the African American woman who struggles, often alone, to raise a child against steep odds. In my personal view she is an incredible tribute to love, devotion, and strength. Most powerful force is a bit of hyperbole but she is certainly a most powerful force.

I had the pleasure of reading Frank McCourt's works. In particular I was very moved by his Pulitzer winning work, Angela's Ashes. This work is nothing if not a compelling testament to the strength and courage of a loving Irish mother. There were passages that moved me to tears. Literally. Mr McCourt's ultimate triumph against almost insurmountable odds really does rest on the shoulders of his mother Angela. What an incredible story.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
So....Mayo needs to sit down with Dad and say "yes i'm sorry, i worked hard on my classes, it won't happen again, please forgive me, i'm ready to work hard"  just to play?

I don't understand why mom has to be there, either he's going to do the work or he isn't.  Words don't mean a thing...

Really don't see the point in this run-around, why make her fly to milwaukee.  What' the difference if it's a conference call? If Buzz really wanted to show he cares about the kids and families why doesn't Buzz take the private jet there?  Just childish if you ask me, either Todd works and earns his spot or not, i don't think a family meeting is necessary.

It's not Buzz's fault that Todd's mom has to fly in for a meeting. Todd appears to been given several chances to get his situation squared away, and now it's come to this.

My principle called my parents in for a meeting one time. I can assure you that my dad wasn't blaming the principle for having to take the afternoon off.

I have to assume that this is a "come to Jesus" type meeting where everything gets aired out and the exact expectations are laid out (again). Everybody needs to look each other in the eye and understand what is happening.

Hard to execute over a conference call or email. Nice to do it in person so this hopefully gets settled.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »
It's not Buzz's fault that Todd's mom has to fly in for a meeting. Todd appears to been given several chances to get his situation squared away, and now it's come to this.

My principle called my parents in for a meeting one time. I can assure you that my dad wasn't blaming the principle for having to take the afternoon off.

I have to assume that this is a "come to Jesus" type meeting where everything gets aired out and the exact expectations are laid out (again). Everybody needs to look each other in the eye and understand what is happening.

Hard to execute over a conference call or email. Nice to do it in person so this hopefully gets settled.

How old is Todd though?  Isn't he old enough to be treated as a grown-up and not have to get his parents involved with his problems?  Maybe i see things different because I am a university instructor and i am quite sick of dealing with parents when 18-21 yr olds should be able to deal with their own issues. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
How old is Todd though?  Isn't he old enough to be treated as a grown-up and not have to get his parents involved with his problems?  Maybe i see things different because I am a university instructor and i am quite sick of dealing with parents when 18-21 yr olds should be able to deal with their own issues. 

Well, I would guess that Buzz was trying to give Todd the appropriate hint when he sent him home.

Apparently that didn't work, so now he's calling in the big guns, Todd's Mom.

Your point is well taken, but I like that a coach is involving the parents at this point.

JD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »

I see what you're saying Ammo, but why make Todd's mom pay for a flight here?  I figured Buzz would fly to WV to square the situation away.  I know her other son is in the NBA and probably has no income issues, but i thought it would have been a nice gesture for Buzz to fly to her home with Todd.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

I see what you're saying Ammo, but why make Todd's mom pay for a flight here?  I figured Buzz would fly to WV to square the situation away.  I know her other son is in the NBA and probably has no income issues, but i thought it would have been a nice gesture for Buzz to fly to her home with Todd.

I think that there is some likelihood that that would have sent the wrong message, i.e. Todd comes first, then the team.  That's why Buzz is leaving the team in mid-season to get the team's savior (Todd) back into the fold.

We're fortunate that MU has a coach who realizes that MU is providing Todd with an opportunity, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:53:57 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
it's not a fair comparison.  he's obviously not acting like a grown up, and buzz must feel he can do todd some good by talking with he and his mother.  imagine yourself as the educator that you are, and you work with only ~15 students all day, every day.  you see them more than you see your own kids, and they are all great students.  they are freakishly smart, gifted/talented, but that level of intelligence means that they have struggled socially and continue to make mistakes outsde of the classroom that put their potential at risk.  you want them to remain in your class, you know they have the potential to do big things, yet because of their social struggles they just can't get over the hump.  you made a promise to their mother that you would do everything you could to help her extremely gifted child take advantage of his gifts by ensuring that he developes beyond just academics.  

i think buzz has every right to have the mother at the table...the man doesn't need to fly to WV, and he doesn't need to deal with the parents, but he wants to because he feels it could help the kid, and probably because it is follow through from what he explained during the recruiting process.  thank you buzz for using every tool you have available to help todd grow up so his gifts aren't wasted.  i hope todd's mom is smart enough to see it the same way.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
it's not a fair comparison.  he's obviously not acting like a grown up, and buzz must feel he can do todd some good by talking with he and his mother.  imagine yourself as the educator that you are, and you work with only ~15 students all day, every day.  you see them more than you see your own kids, and they are all great students.  they are freakishly smart, gifted/talented, but that level of intelligence means that they have struggled socially and continue to make mistakes outsde of the classroom that put their potential at risk.  you want them to remain in your class, you know they have the potential to do big things, yet because of their social struggles they just can't get over the hump.  you made a promise to their mother that you would do everything you could to help her extremely gifted child take advantage of his gifts by ensuring that he developes beyond just academics.  

I definitely recognize that it isn't a fair comparison.  Like i said, I am biased because of my own experiences.  That said, no educator (or employer for that matter) is going to call someone's parents when they aren't performing.  You just fail the class (or get fired).  I have had MANY students who are very smart, gifted, and talented, but have failed for a variety of reasons (e.g., not motivated, learning disabilities, burnt out from their jobs, or just simply don't get the material).  And I am definitely willing to work with these people as much as I possibly can, assuming that they are willing to put in the work.  That said, I don't deal with parents because they need to become autonomous and deal with their own problems, simply because they can't always rely on their parents to help them.

Now, i recognize that a team is a very different situation, especially because a coach spends a great deal of time with a family during the recruiting process, which you note.  That said, at some point, a person needs to become autonomous, and college is usually the point when that happens.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
As a son of Africa...

Oh, son of Africa, how are your roommates warthogdriver, forgiven, unforgiven, and Parsighian?  Or do they just share your wi-fi...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
Oh, son of Africa, how are your roommates warthogdriver, forgiven, unforgiven, and Parsighian?  Or do they just share your wi-fi...

Oh boy, here we go again..........Nice. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »

I see what you're saying Ammo, but why make Todd's mom pay for a flight here?  I figured Buzz would fly to WV to square the situation away.  I know her other son is in the NBA and probably has no income issues, but i thought it would have been a nice gesture for Buzz to fly to her home with Todd.

Again, if she wants to be mad at anybody, she can be mad at Todd.

A school principle isn't going to go to somebody's house... he's going to ask the parents come to school.

Also, for all we know, Buzz made it an option for her to come, and she is exercising that option.

My only point is, Todd created this situation, not Buzz, or the MU administration. Everybody should remember that. I don't say this to be anti-Todd, I hope he becomes eligible and gets his degree.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
What the hell happened to good old Warty?  I miss him...these other personas are complete sh!t.  Come back to us Warty...unless you got banned. 

The Process

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »

Relax. Respect the Process.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
What the hell happened to good old Warty?  I miss him...these other personas are complete sh!t.  Come back to us Warty...unless you got banned. 

He's not banned.  Dude's just trying too hard......

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »

Last time I answered that question I was told I don't respect the military enough.

But I will say this, while this was pretty clever, I am finding warts decent to wierdness to be oddly troubling.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 08:21:35 PM »

Last time I answered that question I was told I don't respect the military enough.

But I will say this, while this was pretty clever, I am finding warts decent to wierdness to be oddly troubling.

I miss Warthog's haikus  :(

I want haikus!
Relax. Respect the Process.

feedback