Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Waiting on a Mayo decision  (Read 7163 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Waiting on a Mayo decision
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »
Waiting on a Mayo decision

Buzz Williams said Tuesday that he'd know soon whether Todd Mayo's grades were good enough for the sophomore guard to be academically eligible to play basketball.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/184013961.html

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Waiting on a Mayo decision
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »
Hunt, see paint touches tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/281149781278093312

Jamil Wilson told PT that Mayo has practiced with the team the last two days.  If he is still ineligible, I believe that would be an ncaa violation.

So I think the question of Mayo's eligiblity has been answer (yes he is).  So the question is if Buzz wants him back.  Well after two months of Mayo busting his hump in school and now practicing I think we also know the answer.

Michael, you do good work but your last two posts about Mayo have been awful.

Previous Mayo post http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34807.0

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
"they need to be sure he won't be a distraction"  Please....... Distraction to what, his attempts at qualifying through academic means.  Why end the article with that...  Why not state "lets hope it works out for the kid"

Buzz meeting with his family to ensure they realize what the university/basketball program is expecting from him.  I would presume hardly any other coach would actually have a face to face with both the athlete and his family.  Good for him.

Lets hope it all works out for the kid.  There........

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »

Jamil Wilson told PT that Mayo has practiced with the team the last two days.  If he is still ineligible, I believe that would be an ncaa violation.

So I think the question of Mayo's eligiblity has been answer (yes he is).  So the question is if Buzz wants him back.  Well after two months of Mayo busting his hump in school and now practicing I think we also know the answer.

Did you even read the article? Buzz didn't say he was back on the team, and said he wanted to meet with Todd and his family before anything is decided.

I assume Todd is NCAA eligible (given he was at practice), but that doesn't make him "Buzz eligible".

Hunt's article was fine.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

Why would it be an NCAA violation?  The original suspension was instituted by Marquette, not by the NCAA. 

JD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
"they need to be sure he won't be a distraction"  Please....... Distraction to what, his attempts at qualifying through academic means.  Why end the article with that...  Why not state "lets hope it works out for the kid"

Buzz meeting with his family to ensure they realize what the university/basketball program is expecting from him.  I would presume hardly any other coach would actually have a face to face with both the athlete and his family.  Good for him.

I agree NYG, i didn't understand the "Need to make sure he's not a distraction"

I know when i played sports there was nothing more distracting to me than a teamate who might not have done enough academically to be allowed on the team.  Damn did that get to me and hold me back from my potential.  All his fault.  I should be playing professionally if it wasn't for that one teammate.  ::)

Signed: Andrew Bynums kid.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »
Did you even read the article? Buzz didn't say he was back on the team, and said he wanted to meet with Todd and his family before anything is decided.

I assume Todd is NCAA eligible (given he was at practice), but that doesn't make him "Buzz eligible".

Hunt's article was fine.

I get that Mayo still has to be Buzz Eligible'  But do you believe for a second  Buzz watched him get his grades in order for two months, allowed him back into practice, have his parents fly in from WV to say "get the hell out of here?"  Buzz is not that Crass.

Of course Mayo is back but Buzz wants Mayo and his parents in the room to make it perfectly clearly, no more second chances.  Nothing wrong with that.

Mayo is back and plays tomorrow night.  His parents travel to Green Bay with the team to watch.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »
Why would it be an NCAA violation?  The original suspension was instituted by Marquette, not by the NCAA. 

Technically we don't know because MU never said for sure.  But it is widely assumed that Mayo dropped a class that made him ineligible per NCAA rules.  By passing his remaining fall classes and signing up for enough spring semester credits, he has met the eligibility requirements again.  The Spring semester technically started yesterday (Dec 17) which is why he was able to practice with the team the last two days.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »
Who cares about Mayo??? I finished with a 4.0 this semester!!! ....... but seriously, this is good news. We NEED another offensive weapon out there, as Lockett has more than struggled to carry the offensive load we expected.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
Todd could not practice or play because he was not eligible under Marquette's rules.  He now is practicing and therefore he must be eligible under Marquette's rules.   Why would anyone think otherwise?

If he is eligible (and, again, he must be), please explain to why Buzz would not allow him to rejoin the team.   Please.   I don't understand.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »
If he is eligible (and, again, he must be), please explain to why Buzz would not allow him to rejoin the team.   Please.   I don't understand.

Todd struggles last year.  Barely maintains eligibility.  Buzz sends him home for the second half of the summer to reflect, and he comes back to school and does the same exact stuff that caused Buzz to send him away in the first place.  Not only does he hurt himself, but he hurts the team and doesn't take the lesson that Buzz is trying to teach him to heart.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »
Ok, I do understand that - the lessons not previously learned and Buzz's frustration and that of the team.  But he is practicing (I am assuming the post on this point is accurate).  Why let him practice and be back with the team unless he was really back with the team?   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
Technically we don't know because MU never said for sure.  But it is widely assumed that Mayo dropped a class that made him ineligible per NCAA rules.  By passing his remaining fall classes and signing up for enough spring semester credits, he has met the eligibility requirements again.  The Spring semester technically started yesterday (Dec 17) which is why he was able to practice with the team the last two days.

+1

I can assure you guys have made this more complicated than it is.  But Buzz' 'doghouse' is a whole 'nuther matter.  And in a careful and thoughtful read of Mike's blog he accurately describes what I believe are coaches feelings.  Namely, how do I do my duty as a mentor to keep Todd on the straight and narrow academically; something waaay more important than basketball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
Ok, I do understand that - the lessons not previously learned and Buzz's frustration and that of the team.  But he is practicing (I am assuming the post on this point is accurate).  Why let him practice and be back with the team unless he was really back with the team?   

It's not uncommon for coaches to let guys practice but not play them in games.

I'm not saying that is happening here, but I think it's easy to see a situation where Todd is going to have to earn his time and the trust of his coach and teammates.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
I understand that too (there are all sorts of reasons that a coach doesn't play someone).  But he would be on the team.  Maybe sitting on the bench.   Maybe still earning his way out of the doghouse.  But on the team.   

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »

Because he has to earn it. He can't do that without being around the team. One of the things we have to remember about Buzz, you have to earn EVERYTHING. Marquette players aren't even given practice gear. You have to earn it by making it through boot camp. Just being able to practice is a reward for work done. So Todd is being rewarded for getting himself eligible again. But putting on a Marquette uniform? Getting a place on the bench? And getting into a game? Those are all much bigger rewards that require much more work.

We know that Todd struggled last year. Buzz tried counseling him and finding a way to support him through it. And after all that, Todd went and got himself ineligible within a few weeks of returning to school. Which means getting eligible may be only the beginning of earning his way back onto this team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:21:48 PM »
Ok- thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.  I appreciate it.  And I hope Todd worked hard enough on his class work the rest of the semester that he is on the way to (soon) earning his way back. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:28 PM »
I understand that too (there are all sorts of reasons that a coach doesn't play someone).  But he would be on the team.  Maybe sitting on the bench.   Maybe still earning his way out of the doghouse.  But on the team.   

+1

Two issues.  He is eligible and back on the team.  That question seems to be yes.

Will he get off the bench?  We'll see starting tomorrow ....

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »

Felt the need to jump in here, but Mayo was ineligible per NCAA minimum requirements. That is known.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
Felt the need to jump in here, but Mayo was ineligible per NCAA minimum requirements. That is known.

Thanks Strotty

So he must be eligible again, if not then MU would be violating NCAA rules by allowing him to practice again.  Correct?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 07:50:56 AM »

Sometimes I think people look for reasons to be outraged at the MJS.

He was distant from Williams, aloof with his teammates, and didn't take his school work very seriously.  Therefore he was a distraction.  Is it that too hard to comprehend?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
We will be Mayo watching tonight at Green Bay!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
Having just read the MJS post, I'll be surpirsed to see Mayo in Green Bay.  Seems as if Buzz wants to discuss with family face to face before Todd takes any further steps with respect to the team.  It is now in coach's court, in consultation with the family, in my estimation.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:24:24 AM by jsglow »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
Having just read the MJS post, I'll be surpirsed to see Mayo in Green Bay.  Seems as if Buzz wants to discuss with family face to face before Todd takes any further steps with respect to the team.  It is now in coach's court, in consultation with the family, in my estimation.

He will not be there. I would not be suprised if Buzz does not let him back. He sent him packing once before. I hope he returns, but Buzz is looking for more than passing grades.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »

He will not be there. I would not be suprised if Buzz does not let him back. He sent him packing once before. I hope he returns, but Buzz is looking for more than passing grades.

If by "sent him packing" you're referencing his summer sabbatical, let's not forget that Buzz did the same thing with Jae Crowder. Seemed to work out okay.