[Today at 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[Today at 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: When will we know Mayo's situation?  (Read 15296 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: When will we know Mayo's situation?
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
If it doesn't, Another thinks someone should get fired and you don't - that's your only disagreement. I happen to agree with you, but I wish you would argue your differences and not things you agree on.

No ...

Brew said the file might sit on someone's desk because they bought tickets to go on Holiday.  In other words, "I'm sorry Mr. Mayo and Mr. Williams the issue of reinstating Mr. Mayo to the basketball team will have to wait until I return from my week in Arizona but I promise to get to it as soon as I get back.  Merry Christmas Mr. Williams and I'll see you in the New Year."

Brew insisted twice this might be a possibility.  If this, and only this, is the reason that holds up Mayo, that is outrageous and suggests some is not taking their job responsibility seriously.  So, yes if this were to happen someone should get fired.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:25:27 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
I would hope whatever "process" Todd has to go through wouldn't require "extraordinary effort". The board could have left a contingency ruling (if this, thumbs up, if that thumbs down) or make themselve available for a 10 minute conference call. Bringing them back from vacation seems unnecessary - either Todd has the numbers or he doesn't, and those numbers won't change between tomorrow and the resumption of classes/return of the faculty.

Bingo!

My point is either Todd has done enough to be eligible and it should be announced today/tomorrow.  Or, he has not and that should be announced today/tomorrow.  To string this out over several more days, or a few weeks, is completely unnecessary. 

Yes or No on eligibility, just make the decision and move on.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
Just to clarify my comments from the original thread... I also posted the following:
There are a number of factors that could delay (or expedite) an announcement:

1) Reporting of grades
2) Availability of someone to put out a press release over the weekend (16th is a Sunday)
3) Coach-, AD-, or institution-imposed suspension or similar measure following re-attainment of NCAA eligibility
4) Possibility of Todd being NCAA-eligible on 12/17 but not MU-eligible until a later date
5) Privacy issues

I don't think there are any date restrictions on when an announcement can be made... MU simply may not make an announcement at all regardless of circumstance and we don't know until we either see him on the court or the media asks the question.  (However, one would have to assume that good news would be announced.)

If we don't see Todd on the court 12/19 and Hunt, Strotty, and Goodman (metaphorically speaking) don't have the skinny by then, then I would start making assumptions.  Until then, we wait.

Most of the above has already been mentioned throughout the current thread, implicitly or explicitly; however, the bottom line remains that while Todd may be NCAA-eligible and MU-eligible at this very moment, he may not be Buzz-eligible.  Just because we don't see any sign of Todd practicing with the team should not be any cause for alarm at this point.

If Todd isn't in a uniform on Wednesday, the topic will likely be addressed in Buzz's post-game comments, and drawing any conclusions before then is an exercise in futility.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »
Wow, care to put any more words in my mouth? People assume because of Todd FB post that he has done everything he needs to do. People assume this is a rubber-stamp, black or white issue. But none of you KNOW this is the case. It's entirely possible there's more to this review than checking a box. If that's the case and this needs more time and due diligence than a rubber-stamp, then I sincerely hope Marquette's academic boards take that time.

And Another, again, the responsibility of Marquette is academics over athletics. Do you dispute that? Because as long as those responsible for the review are making sure Todd can continue as a student they are doing their job. It was his responsibility not to get into this position in the first place. You don't know their circumstances, but acting like Todd's athletic (extra-curricular) career is more important than their lives is silly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
Wow, care to put any more words in my mouth?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34918.msg429159#msg429159
But if his file needs to be reviewed by an academic board, some of whom may be out of town for the holidays or may want to take time deliberating or may want to follow up with Todd, his instructors, and his tutors, it could take longer.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34918.msg429184#msg429184
But if this is a faculty member that is accustomed to being off over the holidays and had tickets bought to either go out of town or possibly even out of country during this time period, they are supposed to put their life on hold for the good of the basketball program?

----

You did a pretty good job of putting the words in your own mouth.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
You are assuming this is an open and shut case. I am not. Until he's reinstated, we have no idea which is the truth and thus have no idea how long this could take.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »
You are assuming this is an open and shut case. I am not. Until he's reinstated, we have no idea which is the truth and thus have no idea how long this could take.

Everything they need to make the decision already happened.  His classes are done and his grades are in.  Their is no information left to wait on (beyond official grades due by tomorrow).  So, not it is not open and shut.  But, unlike what you're suggesting, this was not starting today.  It started a long-time ago.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »
If Todd isn't in a uniform on Wednesday, the topic will likely be addressed in Buzz's post-game comments, and drawing any conclusions before then is an exercise in futility.

I agree with this.  If their is not an announcement today/tomorrow, Buzz will be asked and address this Wednesday.

And hopefully the answer is not the administrator that makes the decision called Buzz from Disneyland with the family on vacation and promises it will be the first file they get to when they get back to the office on January 7.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
Can we change this discussion to Todd's new profile picture?

1.) He's with Junior!
2.) Is it a Xmas Party?
3.) What does the bow-tie mean?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
Factors that could influence this:

• Simply passing may not be enough.
  • Going part-time in Fall may have put Todd off-track for his degree and he may need to pass mid-semester class(es) to get back on track.
  • The review board may need to interview Todd's tutors and/or faculty.
  • Someone instrumental in the review process may have been planning the holidays to visit a dying family member.
  • Someone instrumental in the review process may have scheduled a c-section during the holidays to spend time with their newborn.
If it's a simple "yes, he has the grades, he's eligible" or "no, he doesn't have the grades, he's ineligible" situation then I hope they expedite the process. But none of us know that is the case. So acting like the sky is falling because we don't know yet is silly, just it will be at any point before the actual Spring semester starts. Maybe it's easier for me because I accepted the most likely scenario back in November that Todd Mayo would never play a minute of basketball for Marquette again and anything more than that would be gravy. Bottom line, none of us know how this is going to go, and throwing all your toys out of the pram isn't going to magically make Todd's academic issues go away.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »
Everything they need to make the decision already happened.  His classes are done and his grades are in.  Their is no information left to wait on (beyond official grades due by tomorrow).  So, not it is not open and shut.  But, unlike what you're suggesting, this was not starting today.  It started a long-time ago.

You do not know this for a fact. You could say you do, but you would be lying.

Only the people in charge of Todd's academics and possibly Todd know this for certain. Just because he's optimistic doesn't mean a decision is imminent, or even that it will go in his favor.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
Factors that could influence this:

• Someone instrumental in the review process may have been planning the holidays to visit a dying family member.
  • Someone instrumental in the review process may have scheduled a c-section during the holidays to spend time with their newborn.

Brew, you keep insisting this.  Do you know something specific about this or are you speculating?

These are way too specific for you to make up out of thin air.  So, what do you know?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
I don't know anything. Which is why I'm not taking anything for granted.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
Brew,

I think you're turning a very simple arithmetic problem into quantum physics, a true/false test into an essay test in an upper division Philosophy class. There are benchmarks Todd had to reach in order to regain eligibility - I would think that a review board of PHDs could figure out whether those benchmarks were attained in about 30 seconds.

+1

Todd's issue isn't very complicated from what I understand.  No one should expect that he somehow needs to appear before the assembled professors in a scene analogous to Rodney Dangerfield's oral Final in "Back to School'.  (SAY IT, SAY IT!!!!!)

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
Does anyone outside of Todd, Buzz and MU admin actually know why Todd was suspended.  I have not heard any of the specific details except for the canned response. 

So, why are we making statements that today, tomorrow or Wednesday is "the day" that we find out what happens to Todd? I hope we are not basing this off of Todd's facebook message that was rather cryptic.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Does anyone outside of Todd, Buzz and MU admin actually know why Todd was suspended.  I have not heard any of the specific details except for the canned response. 

So, why are we making statements that today, tomorrow or Wednesday is "the day" that we find out what happens to Todd? I hope we are not basing this off of Todd's facebook message that was rather cryptic.

No am I not certain, but I was told by insiders that he just simply did not have enough credits (dropped class). He only took two last semester. I don't think this is any news to the board though.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
No am I not certain, but I was told by insiders that he just simply did not have enough credits (dropped class). He only took two last semester. I don't think this is any news to the board though.
That was what I was thinking happened. However, if that was the case I do not see how he could be eligible at the semester. You need to have a full load defined as 12 credits or more and that he could met by signing up for 12 credits in the second sememster. However, I believe he needs to have completed 36 credits by the end of the first semester of sophomore year. He went to Africa this summer, so he was not here to take extra credits to get ahead of the credits needed. He also was not able to come in early his freshmen year to get some credits under his belt. I just find it hard to believe that he had more than 24 credits coming into this year. Given that, if he was short the first semester he would have to be short of the 36 hours and would not be eligible. The only logical thing was Buzz was projecting based on progress reports he was not going to be eligible at the end of the first semester and suspended him so he could spend all his time on school work.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »
That was what I was thinking happened. However, if that was the case I do not see how he could be eligible at the semester. You need to have a full load defined as 12 credits or more and that he could met by signing up for 12 credits in the second sememster. However, I believe he needs to have completed 36 credits by the end of the first semester of sophomore year. He went to Africa this summer, so he was not here to take extra credits to get ahead of the credits needed. He also was not able to come in early his freshmen year to get some credits under his belt. I just find it hard to believe that he had more than 24 credits coming into this year. Given that, if he was short the first semester he would have to be short of the 36 hours and would not be eligible. The only logical thing was Buzz was projecting based on progress reports he was not going to be eligible at the end of the first semester and suspended him so he could spend all his time on school work.

Not sure if any of your post even matters in regards to Marquette's eligibility rules, but Mayo took classes the first summer session.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
Everything they need to make the decision already happened.

I don't think this is quite the math problem you're making it out to be. It's not just black and white...there's a lot of grey.

I'm not sure it's the exact same process (or that I should be talking about it), but I was a student-member of the review board for a semester. It involved a letter from the student explaining the circumstances of their ... failure to meet expectations ... as well as student discussion with members of the board.

It was Cura Personalis — they didn't just want the student to meet their obligations, but wanted to understand how the university could help prevent it in the future.

Maybe this is a totally different scenario, but I can definitely see it not being completely black and white.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
Not sure if any of your post even matters in regards to Marquette's eligibility rules, but Mayo took classes the first summer session.
Yes, but he was ineligible until he completed the class. So that just got him up to snuff for his frreshmen year.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »
TT34 would cry in engineering professor's offices for better grades.

You're thinking of Jason.

I'm the guy who would drop the class and retake it over the summer with an easier professor.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
You're thinking of Jason.

I'm the guy who would drop the class and retake it over the summer with an easier professor.

Thelen?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
Just to clarify my comments from the original thread... I also posted the following:
Most of the above has already been mentioned throughout the current thread, implicitly or explicitly; however, the bottom line remains that while Todd may be NCAA-eligible and MU-eligible at this very moment, he may not be Buzz-eligible.  Just because we don't see any sign of Todd practicing with the team should not be any cause for alarm at this point.

And therefore, is well within the jurisdiction of MUScoop.

Here's the short answer to the question asked in the thread title; we'll know when we know, and not before.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »

Just to clarify, Todd wasn't suspended this fall.  He became academically ineligible based on NCAA regulations.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
Just to clarify, Todd wasn't suspended this fall.  He became academically ineligible based on NCAA regulations.
That was said, but never verified.

feedback