[June 09, 2024, 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: When will we know Mayo's situation?  (Read 15297 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: When will we know Mayo's situation?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 08:21:53 AM »
Ok, if not reinstated, then is he expected to sit in an empty apartment building through the holidays as his former teammates are busy with practice and games while everyone else on campus is gone?  I would think he would still leave for a month and possibly never return.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Our hope is that Mayo will be reinstated and ready to go by Wednesday. But if his file needs to be reviewed by an academic board, some of whom may be out of town for the holidays or may want to take time deliberating or may want to follow up with Todd, his instructors, and his tutors, it could take longer. It's also possible that Todd isn't the only student at Marquette whose status needs to be determined. What process does a board use to determine whose cases they review first? Maybe they don't even get to him until next week.

Maybe he's eligible Wednesday. Maybe he's eligible Saturday. Maybe he's not eligible until after the New Year. However long it takes for the review to determine that he has done everything he needs to do to be eligible by both NCAA and Marquette standards.

As far as what Mayo does in the interim, that really isn't the review board's concern, is it? When you apply for a job, does an employer speed up the hiring process based on your circumstance? No. They do it based on their timetable and once they have evaluated everything they feel needs to be evaluated. I would imagine this process will be hired in a similar fashion.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:19 AM »
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Our hope is that Mayo will be reinstated and ready to go by Wednesday. But if his file needs to be reviewed by an academic board, some of whom may be out of town for the holidays or may want to take time deliberating or may want to follow up with Todd, his instructors, and his tutors, it could take longer. It's also possible that Todd isn't the only student at Marquette whose status needs to be determined. What process does a board use to determine whose cases they review first? Maybe they don't even get to him until next week.

Maybe he's eligible Wednesday. Maybe he's eligible Saturday. Maybe he's not eligible until after the New Year. However long it takes for the review to determine that he has done everything he needs to do to be eligible by both NCAA and Marquette standards.

As far as what Mayo does in the interim, that really isn't the review board's concern, is it? When you apply for a job, does an employer speed up the hiring process based on your circumstance? No. They do it based on their timetable and once they have evaluated everything they feel needs to be evaluated. I would imagine this process will be hired in a similar fashion.

I'm guessing that special consideration will be given in Todd's situation and his case will be the first or one of the first looked at.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »
It probably will. I'm just saying that there's no reason to panic if we don't see him Wednesday, and it's safe to say we can't put a firm date on when we will or won't know. We've gotten by without him for the first 6 weeks of the season. Hopefully we won't have to wait much longer, but there are a lot more factors that could go into this than simply rubber-stamping it and throwing him in the lineup.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 08:43:11 AM »
This is all assumption, but if he is reinstated, he will not play until at least the New Year. I think that he would be in Buzz's  proverbial "dog house." Especially not practicing with the team for the past month or two, I can't see him getting any minutes until at least conference play. 
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Our hope is that Mayo will be reinstated and ready to go by Wednesday. But if his file needs to be reviewed by an academic board, some of whom may be out of town for the holidays or may want to take time deliberating or may want to follow up with Todd, his instructors, and his tutors, it could take longer.

Man I hope this is not the case.  If Todd has to sit because someone is on holiday and he has to wait until they return.  Then that person needs to be fired for not taking their responsibility seriously.

Also, this should not be a process that BEGINS today.  He should have been monitored and counseled all long and the process should END TODAY.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »
When you apply for a job, does an employer speed up the hiring process based on your circumstance? No. They do it based on their timetable and once they have evaluated everything they feel needs to be evaluated. I would imagine this process will be hired in a similar fashion.

I've been both hired by others and I hired people now and this is 100% wrong.  Yes, you consider the timetable of the applicant, both good and bad.  Only the Government proceeds at its bureaucratic pace unaffected by the applicants needs.  And you get Government outcomes.

In this case the applicant is Mayo and his timetable is today and tomorrow.  The goal should be to make the decision now, not to jerk him around for days or weeks.  Yes or no, now is the proper way to handle it.  You start the process when you have to to end with a decision today or tomorrow.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:56 AM »
This is all assumption, but if he is reinstated, he will not play until at least the New Year. I think that he would be in Buzz's  proverbial "dog house." Especially not practicing with the team for the past month or two, I can't see him getting any minutes until at least conference play. 

I agree if he is reinstated we may not see him on the court for a while.  But to get out of Buzz's doghouse, he needs to practice and interact with his team to show he has changed.  He cannot do that sitting in Humphrey by himself watching day-time TV and waiting for some administrator to return from Holiday to begin the process of reviewing his file.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
I agree if he is reinstated we may not see him on the court for a while.  But to get out of Buzz's doghouse, he needs to practice and interact with his team to show he has changed.  He cannot do that sitting in Humphrey by himself watching day-time TV and waiting for some administrator to return from Holiday to begin the process of reviewing his file.

He wouldn't have to do that if he was passing his classes.

He's not a victim here. He made his bed, and now he has to go through the process... however long that takes.

He should be at the top of the pile, and that's fine... but he's not an innocent victim of some sort of inane bureaucracy.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
*Sigh*

I think there is a failure to realize something in this thread. Marquette is NOT a basketball program. Marquette is a university that has a basketball program. The priority for Marquette as an institution is to ensure that their students are progressing towards a degree. Nothing any review board does will hinder Todd's ability to do that. He will be able to take classes over the winter break. He will be able to take classes in the Spring semester. Playing basketball is a privilege, not a right.

As far as the "that person needs to be fired for not taking their responsibility seriously" comment, give me a break. I don't know who would make up the review board. But if this is a faculty member that is accustomed to being off over the holidays and had tickets bought to either go out of town or possibly even out of country during this time period, they are supposed to put their life on hold for the good of the basketball program? Again, nothing this board determines will impact Todd's ability to progress as a student, which is the primary reason for Marquette's existence. Making sure he's back for Green Bay or LSU should have no bearing on how the instructors and review groups handle their affairs, both at work and at home.

Because these people are NOT government workers, they are allowed to have lives outside of Marquette's campus. And if that impacts how long it takes for Todd to get back, so be it. I'm not going to fault them for having other responsibilities, especially at this time of year.

As far as how the process is handled, that really has nothing to do with us. Hopefully it is handled quickly for the sake of the basketball program, but again, that is maybe a tertiary concern. First and foremost is the good of the student and second should be a thorough and proper review.

There are things more important than basketball. There are factors that may (or may not) go into this that none of us here understand or are aware of. If it's done today, great. If not, acting as though Marquette is somehow in the wrong is something none of us can say one way or the other. If Todd had shown up for an passed all his classes, this never would have been an issue. However, if a review is hastily and sloppily completed and he's allowed back on the court without due diligence, that WILL be an issue. So let's relax, be patient, and hope for the best.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »
Brew,

I think you're turning a very simple arithmetic problem into quantum physics, a true/false test into an essay test in an upper division Philosophy class. There are benchmarks Todd had to reach in order to regain eligibility - I would think that a review board of PHDs could figure out whether those benchmarks were attained in about 30 seconds.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:00:35 AM by Lennys Tap »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »
The school is closed for winter break.  Mayo is not on the team right now.  If he is not reinstated today or tomorrow, with school over, he has to leave Humphrey, no?  Students not on teams in season cannot stay in the dorms over winter break, correct?

That is why I say he has to be reinstated now.  Otherwise he has to leave Milwaukee for a month, presumably going back to West Virginia.  If so, he will probably never return.

First, the University isn't closed.

Second, you again keep shifting the goalposts.  You twist everything to the point that you eventually will be "right" apparently.

Third, if MU doesn't approve Mayo, it won't be some bureaucrat's fault.  It will be Todd Mayo's fault for not taking academics seriously enough.  Despite what happened in the spring, and despite being sent home, he still didn't care enough to do the simple things necessary to maintain eligibility.  If you want to blame someone for him sitting in Humphrey watching daytime TV, blame Todd Mayo.

And finally, I fully anticipate that this issue will be resolved this week regardless of the Wednesday deadline that you pulled out of your ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 09:41:30 AM »
He wouldn't have to do that if he was passing his classes.

He's not a victim here. He made his bed, and now he has to go through the process... however long that takes.

He should be at the top of the pile, and that's fine... but he's not an innocent victim of some sort of inane bureaucracy.

I don't think Another suggests that Todd was a victim in the original ineligibility/academic probation situation - only that a decision as to his reinstatement or dismissal is more time sensitive than that of an ordinary student.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »
I don't think Another suggests that Todd was a victim in the original ineligibility/academic probation situation - only that a decision as to his reinstatement or dismissal is more time sensitive than that of an ordinary student.

I get it, and I'm cool with him being at the top of the pile, but the suggesting that an administrator should be fired if he doesn't make an extra effort to get Todd eligible is over the top.

Todd is ineligible because of Todd... not because of a delay in paperwork.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
I get it, and I'm cool with him being at the top of the pile, but the suggesting that an administrator should be fired if he doesn't make an extra effort to get Todd eligible is over the top.

Todd is ineligible because of Todd... not because of a delay in paperwork.

So, you and Another agree that:
1. Todd is ineligible because of Todd
and
2.His paperwork determining his status should go to the top of the pile.

If it doesn't, Another thinks someone should get fired and you don't - that's your only disagreement. I happen to agree with you, but I wish you would argue your differences and not things you agree on.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
So, you and Another agree that:
1. Todd is ineligible because of Todd
and
2.His paperwork determining his status should go to the top of the pile.

If it doesn't, Another thinks someone should get fired and you don't - that's your only disagreement. I happen to agree with you, but I wish you would argue your differences and not things you agree on.
You're correct. I just think Another is painting him a little too much as a victim.

I'm sure MU will expedite in a reasonable manner, but I don't think extraordinary effort is required.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:26:47 AM by Guns n Ammo »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
Brew,

I think you're turning a very simple arithmetic problem into quantum physics, a true/false test into an essay test in an upper division Philosophy class. There are benchmarks Todd had to reach in order to regain eligibility - I would think that a review board of PHDs could figure out whether those benchmarks were attained in about 30 seconds.

I'm saying that I don't know what will go into the academic review, but I get the impression it's not as simple as a rubber stamp. Maybe Todd is reinstated. Maybe he isn't. Maybe it's beyond our control and none of us truly know what it will take on either side. But to indicate people should get fired over something no one here fully understands is simply ludicrous. As is the idea that somehow Todd's eligibility as a basketball player trumps Marquette's duty as an academic institution.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
Wow.  I'm glad my kids don't get this level of scrutiny (except from me).

Let's remember a few facts here.  Todd became academically ineligible for a very specific reason.  Marquette took no specific action and he is not 'suspended'.  Technically, he probably could have remained eligible longer than he did last Fall but chose a course of action that allowed him to focus on other academic issues.

Todd also believes that he did well on Finals in his classes.  I'll give him total props for that.  Every student continually EARNS the right though his/her own actions to a quality Marquette education.  Given the pricetag, it is never a guarantee.  Grades come out at 5p tomorrow and then he'll know for sure.  I'm assuming the university already knows his status come Wednesday morning and that no formal process is necessary.  You're either eligible or ineligible; on probation or not.

Getting off the end of Buzz' bench is another matter.  That'll be his next challenge until school starts up again in January at which time Raynor library 'seat time' factors back in to the equation.  I'm confident he understands.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »

I'm sure MU will expedite in a reasonable manner, but I don't think extraordinary effort is required.

I would hope whatever "process" Todd has to go through wouldn't require "extraordinary effort". The board could have left a contingency ruling (if this, thumbs up, if that thumbs down) or make themselve available for a 10 minute conference call. Bringing them back from vacation seems unnecessary - either Todd has the numbers or he doesn't, and those numbers won't change between tomorrow and the resumption of classes/return of the faculty.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
I would hope whatever "process" Todd has to go through wouldn't require "extraordinary effort". The board could have left a contingency ruling (if this, thumbs up, if that thumbs down) or make themselve available for a 10 minute conference call. Bringing them back from vacation seems unnecessary - either Todd has the numbers or he doesn't, and those numbers won't change between tomorrow and the resumption of classes/return of the faculty.

Unless he's really good at sweet talking teachers.  I'm sure many of you were able to get a grade changed through some skillful begging.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
Unless he's really good at sweet talking teachers.  I'm sure many of you were able to get a grade changed through some skillful begging.

Never once.  It disgusted me.  Probably also why I didn't get awesome grades in college. :)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »

Yea, that sounds like a reasonable accommodation. I'm cool with that.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »

Heck, how do you think most of us got a BA?

Part of being successful in the world after college (that's the real world for you academics!) is knowing how to conform and how to sell yourself.

If you never "sweet-talked" and sold yourself, then you didn't go to college. I shudder to think how you've done in the "real world."

The only exception might be engineers and they live in their own world. It's not the earth the rest of us live on.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »

Part of being successful in the world after college (that's the real world for you academics!) is knowing how to conform and how to sell yourself.

If you never "sweet-talked" and sold yourself, then you didn't go to college. I shudder to think how you've done in the "real world."

The only exception might be engineers and they live in their own world. It's not the earth the rest of us live on.

TT34 would cry in engineering professor's offices for better grades.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »

I guess that's why I got a BS...I never heard of or saw any engineering professors changing grades based on "selling".

reinko

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »
TT34 would cry in engineering professor's offices for better grades.

I thought he would scream his head of, "Do you know who I am?  I am GOLD N. unnatural carnal knowledgeIN' EAGLE.  And don't you unnatural carnal knowledgein' forget it.  And if this grade doesn't get changed, don't ever unnatural carnal knowledgein' think for a split goddamn second you might ever get a free Papa Johns pizza at a game."

feedback