'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ACC schools say they're united  (Read 5315 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
ACC schools say they're united
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
The lady doth protest too much, methinks

ACC schools say they're united

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8721127/atlantic-coast-conference-speculation-more-defections-totally-false

The Atlantic Coast Conference presidents said Thursday any speculation about additional member schools leaving the league is "totally false."

Because of nonstop speculation concerning ACC members moving to other leagues, the ACC's 15 presidents issued a statement reaffirming their commitment.

The statement was initiated by the presidents of Florida State (Eric Barron), Clemson (James Barker), Georgia Tech (Bud Peterson), North Carolina (Holden Thorp) and Virginia Tech (Charles Steger) -- whose schools have been the most speculated targets of the Big Ten or Big 12 conferences.

All 15 presidents, including future members Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Louisville, unanimously agreed on issuing the statement and the language of it.

The ACC's vow of solidarity comes a month after Maryland announced it was leaving the ACC for the Big Ten. Maryland officials have said they don't feel they have to pay the full $52 million exit fee, a stance that Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman agreed with Wednesday.

Perlman said Wednesday he thought the exit fee was "not enforceable."

However, the ACC has filed a lawsuit against Maryland to ensure it pays the full exit fee.

Also on Wednesday, Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis said there were advantages to the Big Ten expanding even more, from 14 schools to 16.

Hollis would not name specific candidates, but acknowledged they would not be in the Big Ten's current footprint. The most speculated targets of the Big Ten have been ACC schools Georgia Tech, Virginia and North Carolina, while Florida State and Clemson have been speculated as Big 12 targets.

Asked about future expansion Thursday, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said 14 teams is good for the conference, saying the league was "inactive but alert."

The full text of the ACC's statement was as follows:

"We, the undersigned presidents of the Atlantic Coast Conference, wish to express our commitment to preserve and protect the future of our outstanding league.  We want to be clear that the speculation about ACC schools in negotiations or considering alternatives to the ACC are totally false.  The presidents of the ACC are united in our commitment to a strong and enduring conference.  The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically, and the constitution of our existing and future member schools will maintain the ACC's position as one of the nation's premier conferences."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: ACC schools say they're united
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »
The Big East was united also.........

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
The Big East was united also.........

When? The early 80's?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:03:48 PM »
"We are united in this awesome conference until some awesomer conference offers one of us more money.  Then we bolt as fast as we can before the awesomer conference changes its mind."
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »
This smacks of the dreaded vote of confidence. I'm sure they're united in public, while to a school having conversations in private to improve their situation asap.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:33:57 PM »
When? The early 80's?

After Syracuse, West Virginia, and Pitt left the remaining schools said they were united. After Notre Dame left everyone was still united.

Rutgers and Louisville were united with us both times.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
I would be very, very surprised if any ACC schools left anytime soon.  In fact, I don't think anything major will be happening for awhile on the conference reallignment front.  

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
After Syracuse, West Virginia, and Pitt left the remaining schools said they were united. After Notre Dame left everyone was still united.

Rutgers and Louisville were united with us both times.

And the conference was united up until the Penn State vote, too. Then they were re-united shortly thereafter. Then dishevel erupted when the five football schools were added in the early 90's before being united again. Then Miami hated Temple and convinced the other football schools to hate them as well. Then BC, Miami and SU were accepted into the ACC with VTech swapping spots with SU. Then everyone was united. Then Temple got Temple'd before everyone was united once again.... Then the football schools reluctantly accepted DePaul and MU before being united... Then everyone defected. And nobody knows who is even in the conference anymore. It's like a Double Jeopardy Daily Double question.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:24:30 PM »
I would be very, very surprised if any ACC schools left anytime soon.  In fact, I don't think anything major will be happening for awhile on the conference reallignment front.  

I do not think anything will happen until the Maryland buyout is settled. $52 million, if it is enforced will stop the other teams from leaving. However, I do not think the $52 million is unreasonable and it will be reduced to a lower amount. The question is how much?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »

You realize everyone said that after the Syracuse and Pitt situation settled, right before ND left? And again after ND left and before Maryland and Rutgers jumped their respective ships? No offense intended, but that's maybe the most naive statement I feel you've ever made on any of these forums.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
I never thought it was fully settled...until now.  Maryland was desperate to leave for a number of reasons.  They matched them up with Rutgers because they also would jump instantly.  The other ACC schools aren't near that desperate. 

For the ACC schools to publicly put their names on that statement, only to turn around and bolt in a few months, makes absolutely no sense.  The Big East schools never put their names on the line like that. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:10 PM »
I never thought it was fully settled...until now.  Maryland was desperate to leave for a number of reasons.  They matched them up with Rutgers because they also would jump instantly.  The other ACC schools aren't near that desperate.  

For the ACC schools to publicly put their names on that statement, only to turn around and bolt in a few months, makes absolutely no sense.  The Big East schools never put their names on the line like that.  

Big East commissioner John Marinatto says members are committed
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/09/big-east-united-nations-conference-realignment/1

September 21, 2011

In a statement released by the league and crafted by the members in attendance, Marinatto said, "We are committed as a conference to recruit top level BCS caliber institutions." However, in a 14-minute interview with news reporters, he took that level of commitment one step forward.

"Our schools basically went around the table and pledged to each other that they are committed to move forward together. The fact that all of our schools in less than 24 hours notice came here to New York to meet with us showed that they are committed to move forward together and they want to hear what we have to say in order to keep us together."

... after this statement, ND, Rutgers and Louisville left

----

Marinatto: Notre Dame 'really committed' to Big East

October 18, 2011

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-18/sports/chi-marinatto-notre-dame-really-committed-to-big-east-20111018_1_john-marinatto-football-independence-notre-dame

If the Big East implodes, apparently it won't be for a lack of trying on Notre Dame's part.

That's the picture commissioner John Marinatto painted Tuesday of the school's role in keeping the embattled league afloat, effusively praising Notre Dame's efforts to keep the Big East viable as the conference announced its intentions to expand to 12 football teams.

----
Irish committed in Olympic sports
May 23, 2012

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/7963413/notre-dame-fighting-irish-committed-big-east-olympic-s%20ports-jack-swarbrick-says

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Wednesday that the school remains committed to the Big East for its Olympic sports, despite a recent report indicating that Texas AD DeLoss Dodds has reached out to gauge the program's interest in joining the Big 12.

"It's a mistake to treat this as some sort of pitch by DeLoss," Swarbrick said, dismissing the report. "We're two people who talk frequently and talk about where we think this business is headed and who's doing what. We've talked about playing each other more, scheduling each other in other sports. It's a conversation that's had all of those elements to it.

"No one should have an impression where there was a point in time where DeLoss was making a pitch to Notre Dame. It's been a more collaborative, collegial discussion about the two schools and how we can do more together."

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:55:25 PM by AnotherMU84 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/09/big-east-united-nations-conference-realignment/1

September 21, 2011

In a statement released by the league and crafted by the members in attendance, Marinatto said, "We are committed as a conference to recruit top level BCS caliber institutions." However, in a 14-minute interview with news reporters, he took that level of commitment one step forward.

"Our schools basically went around the table and pledged to each other that they are committed to move forward together. The fact that all of our schools in less than 24 hours notice came here to New York to meet with us showed that they are committed to move forward together and they want to hear what we have to say in order to keep us together."

You creatively snipped the article:

"One official in the Big East who requested anonymity said that was not an accurate assessment of the sentiment in the room. The official said league schools are committed to recruiting more schools but did not make any pledge to remaining in the league until it's clear what the league will look like."

I have yet to hear anything about this from the ACC...perhaps we will.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »

September 21, 2011

----

Marinatto: Notre Dame 'really committed' to Big East

October 18, 2011

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-18/sports/chi-marinatto-notre-dame-really-committed-to-big-east-20111018_1_john-marinatto-football-independence-notre-dame

If the Big East implodes, apparently it won't be for a lack of trying on Notre Dame's part.

That's the picture commissioner John Marinatto painted Tuesday of the school's role in keeping the embattled league afloat, effusively praising Notre Dame's efforts to keep the Big East viable as the conference announced its intentions to expand to 12 football teams.

Well, they were committed for a whole year, which is eternity. I think most people were talking about a few months.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
The Big 12 even had all their members swear loyalty to the Big 12.

Soooooooo, yeah...
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
The Big 12 even had all their members swear loyalty to the Big 12.

Soooooooo, yeah...

In face of Big Ten expansion threat, Big 12 may get pledge of loyalty from its members

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20100602-In-face-of-Big-Ten-expansion-9849.ece

03 June 2010

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Having lived in the mid-Atlantic for a few years and having a ton of ACC friends, I am leaning towards the ACC surviving over the B12. Maryland fans all hate the B10 move....and they are the most "northern" school in the conference. I simply cant imagine any of the other schools leaving for the B10. No way. Major cultural clash. Dont f* with southern tradition. The ACC at least has a cultural connection among the core schools. The B12 seems like its built on nothing more than a tv contract and some GoR agreement. Handshakes are worth something in the south; I dont think paper is worth anything in the prairies (unless we're talking about grain futures).

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
Did Florida State explain why it voted against the new exit fee?  They and Maryland were the only ones to do so.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »
Did Florida State explain why it voted against the new exit fee?  They and Maryland were the only ones to do so.

No, they didnt explain why. However, it is well documented that they experience a budget shortfall every year. The new contract that includes ND should help them break even. If they are looking to join the B12, the exit fee (whatever it may be) plus the added B12 travel costs, plus the backseat they will take to Texas and Okie wont be offset by the additional revenue the B12 schools receive. Actually, I think its only a marginal increase. Why join a conference that they wont ever win for only a small sum of money. If FSU can get the right coaching in place, they should steamroll the ACC and be a national power again. They wont ever be a national power behind UT and OU in the B12. Do they want to cash checks like A&M, Colorado, Utah, Rutgers, Maryland and Mizzou, or do they want championships? And yes, I still believe an undefeated ACC team with a strong out of conference schedule can win.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »
My head is spinning. This is all getting confusing and ridiculous. I'm going to start drinking now. Wake me when it's all settled.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »
My head is spinning. This is all getting confusing and ridiculous. I'm going to start drinking now. Wake me when it's all settled.

It's probably going to be awhile..............

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
In face of Big Ten expansion threat, Big 12 may get pledge of loyalty from its members

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20100602-In-face-of-Big-Ten-expansion-9849.ece

03 June 2010

Again....not the same thing.  Look, I may be wrong, but I simply don't think this is going to happen.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »

They didn't explain it, but it makes sense why they didn't.  Both schools didn't want to limit their options. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »
Having lived in the mid-Atlantic for a few years and having a ton of ACC friends, I am leaning towards the ACC surviving over the B12. Maryland fans all hate the B10 move....and they are the most "northern" school in the conference. I simply cant imagine any of the other schools leaving for the B10. No way. Major cultural clash. Dont f* with southern tradition. The ACC at least has a cultural connection among the core schools. The B12 seems like its built on nothing more than a tv contract and some GoR agreement. Handshakes are worth something in the south; I dont think paper is worth anything in the prairies (unless we're talking about grain futures).
Three reasons to leave for Big 10.
1. More money
2. More conference stability
3. Better football conference
Make it four-better basketall conference

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
Having lived in the mid-Atlantic for a few years and having a ton of ACC friends, I am leaning towards the ACC surviving over the B12. Maryland fans all hate the B10 move....and they are the most "northern" school in the conference. I simply cant imagine any of the other schools leaving for the B10. No way. Major cultural clash. Dont f* with southern tradition. The ACC at least has a cultural connection among the core schools. T

You are 100% correct... until somebody offers them big $.

Chris Rock once said it: A man is basically as faithful as his options.

AD's and school presidents are the same way. Faithful until somebody offers them BIG CASH, and then they will be out the door.

feedback