[Today at 12:40:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Comparing Cadougan’s Novembers  (Read 2170 times)

PaintTouchesSays

[PaintTouches]Comparing Cadougan’s Novembers
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »
Comparing Cadougan’s Novembers

Written by: Andrei Greska

Much like the analysis of Vander Blue from a few weeks ago, this topic began with a simple question: What’s wrong with Junior Cadougan? Let me rephrase that. Why does it seem that Junior is regressing instead of taking a … Continue reading →

http://painttouches.com/2012/12/05/comparing-cadougans-novembers/

MU82

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Comparing Cadougan’s Novembers
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
Nice piece. Spot-on conclusion: Junior needs to play better because he is the team's most important player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
Assists are less a sign of a single player's effectiveness but more a sign of the effectiveness of a team's offense.

Players who drive and score won't put assists in the PG's stat line.

Shooters who miss won't put assists on that stat line either.

Inside players who get their shots blocked or throw up bad shots won't help the line much either.

Floor generals are only as good as their guys they pass to and only then if the offensive scheme is designed to favor them.

Get the other four guys on the floor in synch and Cadougan's assist line takes care of itself.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
exactly, caddy can't put the ball in the hoop for other guys. he'll only be as good as the players around him. he/we need Wilson and Lockett to start scoring more consistently.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
No, Caddy can't put the ball in the hoop for the other guys, but it would be nice if Caddy occasionally put the ball in the hoop for himself. Also would be nice if he cut down on his turnovers.

He HAS to be this team's leader, based on his position and his seniority.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
The best thing about Junior is that is a senior, can not wait to see a point that can score, Duane Wilson can not get here soon enough. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
Good article, but you need to look more in-depth at Junior's turnovers.

The three games MU has had against cupcakes (Colgate, SE Louisiana, UMBC) he has 1 turnover total.

Against better competition, the Maui games and Florida, he is averaging 3.5 turnovers a game. Not good.

JD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
This shouldn't be new news to anybody.  Junior always has struggled against par to above par teams.  He can fill the stat lines with easier Non Confrence opponents, but time and time again I watch him struggle with teams that pressure him and have decent guard play.  I'm not here to bring Cadougan down, I just don't see him providing much more than 4pts, 3assist per game this year. 

I too am looking forward to D Will, i hope he gets more minutes throughout the season.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Boone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »
RJax and JDuquaine make great points...Junior feeds on the cupcakes on our schedule and fasts vs. BCS-type teams.

Also, unlike rebounds and baskets made, assists can be a very subjective stat that's purely up to the discretion of the person keeping the books. I think Junior benefits from a benevolent MU stats crew. He seems to gets a lot of homecooking from them.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:29:45 PM by Boone »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »
Junior only had 1 turnover in 25 minutes while playing a huge positive role in Marquette's defeat of Syracuse in the '11 NCAAs. Also 15 points 5 assists 1 TO in BE tourney game against West Virginia that likely got us into the NCAAs that year.

6 assists 1 TO against Washington last year. 6 assists 1 TO in last year's BE opener vs Nova (before we knew Nova sucked). 5 assists 1 TO against Cinci. 4 assists 1 TO in NCAA win vs. Murray State. 7 assists 1 TO against Duke his soph year.

Yes, I had to look pretty closely to find Junior's good games against good competition. But he has had them, meaning he should be able to do it again -- especially now that he's a senior leader.

What I am getting sick of hearing is dopey announcers saying that Buzz "wouldn't trade Junior for any point guard in the country." That's absolutely ridiculous. Even if Buzz himself said it to make Junior feel good.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 04:14:52 PM »
Without actually doing a detailed analysis, it would seem to me that Cadougan was more likely to get an assist with DJO at the 2g vs having Vander at the 2g. Since I see most of Locketts baskets coming off rebounds he does not create assist opportunities for Cadougan either. Cadougan's assists are down because DJO and Crowder are gone.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
Without actually doing a detailed analysis, it would seem to me that Cadougan was more likely to get an assist with DJO at the 2g vs having Vander at the 2g. Since I see most of Locketts baskets coming off rebounds he does not create assist opportunities for Cadougan either. Cadougan's assists are down because DJO and Crowder are gone.

That's fair. But it still doesn't explain his many silly turnovers. Throwing the ball out of bounds or right to a defender, for example.

I don't mean to pick on Junior, but he simply is too important to the team to be doing that stuff.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
Another player struggling with the transition from supporting role player to leader.    Like JWilson.   They need to improve.    I am pretty sure Buzz is telling them that this week. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback