collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bieleima to Arkansas  (Read 30948 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Bieleima to Arkansas
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »
Don't read too much into that.  There is so much misinformation and stuff going on behind the scenes, who knows what has been said by this point.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
So who is their new coach going to be?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »
I don't know but sure funny watching the meltdown on the badger boards.  Never seen a more ridiculous bunch of posters.    My view - Barry has his man, he is playing the game.

Average Badger Fan -  from previously thinking Barry is a god to
 - what the hell is he doing
 - everyone is turning him down
 - why is he waiting so long
 - why does no one want the Badger job
 - Barry's ego is in the way,
 - Brad Childress is coming back...

and if another idiot points out the mandatory state waiting period, i think ETR's head will explode...

holy crap, what a bunch of pansies on those board..   man up - barry will do this right.

So who is their new coach going to be?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
Yeah, and ETR is flat out wrong.  Alvarez got in trouble for the Bielema search.  I think you are right...he has his guy but can't announce it until the end of next week....or until the head coach of another school finishes the bowl game.

If I were to bet, and I would still put long odds on this, I would guess Mel Tucker.  The current Jags DC.  He was in Alvarez's first recruiting class and they apparently talk all of the time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »
Yeah, and ETR is flat out wrong.  Alvarez got in trouble for the Bielema search.  I think you are right...he has his guy but can't announce it until the end of next week....or until the head coach of another school finishes the bowl game.

If I were to bet, and I would still put long odds on this, I would guess Mel Tucker.  The current Jags DC.  He was in Alvarez's first recruiting class and they apparently talk all of the time.

Mel Tucker would be a fantastic hire.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
Gary Anderson looking to be the guy.

Hope for their fans' sake Barry is just floating his name to make his real pick look like a home run.    Edit: Looks like they floated some dude named Clawson earlier.  Andersen it really is.

http://wisconsin.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1450750
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:43:42 PM by Stone Cold »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
Utah State...home of coaching legends

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
   ;D

I just wanted to bash UW but this coach may be, dare you say, legendary.    He's got a good rep.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
Might be a good hire. They certainly had a good year this year and should have beaten the Badgers.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2012, 06:46:12 AM »
The problem is that this isn't the splash that UW wanted to make.  The way this looks is that UW is not the destination job they think it is.  BB made it look like a stepping stone job, and the hire of Utah State's head coach confirms it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:33 AM »
The problem is that this isn't the splash that UW wanted to make.  The way this looks is that UW is not the destination job they think it is.  BB made it look like a stepping stone job, and the hire of Utah State's head coach confirms it.

It all depends.  If the guy stays 15-20 years and succeeds, then it becomes a "destination job" again right?  That's why labels like these are kind of dumb.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:14 AM »

It all depends.  If the guy stays 15-20 years and succeeds, then it becomes a "destination job" again right?  That's why labels like these are kind of dumb.

+1.

"destination job" and "stepping stone" are labels that are quickly tossed out by fans and lazy journalists/columnists.

In the major conferences, the right job can be a destination for any coach. Wisconsin wasn't an elite program when Barry took the job, but he has stayed forever. It become a destination for him.

With this said, any UW fan who thought UW was a top echelon job was delirious. There are a handful of uber elite jobs, and then everybody else. UW is in the 2nd or 3rd tier of "everybody else".

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »

No.  I think a lot of people don't get what a destination job is... Or they falsely think UW is one.

That is all I am really saying.

I don't hate the hire, but I'm going to take a wait and see approach... I'm naturally pessimistic about coaching hires in general. :-P

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »
No.  I think a lot of people don't get what a destination job is...

The point is that "destination job" is what any individual wants to make of it.  The entire phrase makes no sense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »

The point is that "destination job" is what any individual wants to make of it.  The entire phrase makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense.  A destination job is somewhere you choose as your final coaching destination.  Ideally, you retire there and are not fired.  IMO there are only a couple of those around.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2012, 12:30:17 PM »
It makes perfect sense.  A destination job is somewhere you choose as your final coaching destination.  Ideally, you retire there and are not fired.  IMO there are only a couple of those around.

So Wisconsin was a "destination job" when Alvarez had it, but not anymore???  Is Wisconsin a "destination job" for basketball since Ryan is likely going to choose it as his final coaching destination???  Does it stop becoming a "destination job" after his successor is hired?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »

So Wisconsin was a "destination job" when Alvarez had it, but not anymore???  Is Wisconsin a "destination job" for basketball since Ryan is likely going to choose it as his final coaching destination???  Does it stop becoming a "destination job" after his successor is hired?

No, it wasn't then, and isn't still.  I'd say a destination job is somewhere that many coaches want to end their career at...

Simply ending your career at a school doesn't mean it is a destination.  Almost zero coaches probably end up at their destination job.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »
No, it wasn't then, and isn't still.  I'd say a destination job is somewhere that many coaches want to end their career at...

Oh....what's the number of coaches who want to end a career at a particular school qualifies it as a "destination job?"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
All nonsense. Kentucky wasn't a destination job for Rick Pitino. Gonzaga appears to be for Mark Few. I know the "all coaches are alike/the same mantra is popular with some here, but it's just not so.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »
All nonsense. Kentucky wasn't a destination job for Rick Pitino. Gonzaga appears to be for Mark Few. I know the "all coaches are alike/the same mantra is popular with some here, but it's just not so.

Bingo. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »

Kentucky would have been a destination job for Rick except he went to the NBA and then couldn't cut it.

I'm sorry if this some how upsets you two.  It isn't difficult to comprehend.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »
Kentucky would have been a destination job for Rick except he went to the NBA and then couldn't cut it.

I'm sorry if this some how upsets you two.  It isn't difficult to comprehend.

It doesn't upset me.  I just think you are using one of those dumb cliches that have no basis in reality.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »

It doesn't upset me.  I just think you are using one of those dumb cliches that have no basis in reality.
It's not a cliche though.

UCLA, Kansas, UNC, Duke, and Indiana are the destination jobs that generally no college coach voluntarily leaves unless 1) he goes to the NBA 2)  2) he is pushed/pressured out. #3) he leaves for one of the other ones. I would say #3 is very rare and #2 doesn't happen a lot.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
call it a destination job or don't, but watching this conversation chase its own tail is painful.

list the best coaching jobs from 1-100.  draw a line below the job that 75% of coaches wouldnt leave even to take a job higher up the list.  every spot above that line is what is meant by a "destination job."  I dont know if its a meaningless term or not, but i dont get why everyone is arguing about something where everyone more or less knows what the others mean.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »

If Bo had his way a few years back, WI wouldn't have been his final destination.

feedback