Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Can We Learn From This Debacle?  (Read 6329 times)

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
Re: What Can We Learn From This Debacle?
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
Yeah, you missed the talk about Angelo's and underage drinking experiences there as well.

I've heard of people drawing a smiley face on a napkin there as their "ID" with it saying "I am 21" or something like that.  Glory days, indeed!

I walked into Angelos on a Friday night with the worst ID ever and the owner informed me that as long as I was going to spend money, I was welcome.

Love it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
I walked into Angelos on a Friday night with the worst ID ever and the owner informed me that as long as I was going to spend money, I was welcome.

Love it.

I remember going to get my ID from the bar and drunkenly saying, "I can't remember my name but I have a Minnesota ID and I'm wearing a red polo shirt in the picture." The bartender found it for me. He was good people.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »
I remember going to get my ID from the bar and drunkenly saying, "I can't remember my name but I have a Minnesota ID and I'm wearing a red polo shirt in the picture." The bartender found it for me. He was good people.

Haha good stuff. That doesn't happen in most cities. Maybe because I'm 25 it doesn't matter anymore, but you never forget those things.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:55 AM »
Haha good stuff. That doesn't happen in most cities. Maybe because I'm 25 it doesn't matter anymore, but you never forget those things.

Well if you can more than partially remember, you didn't do it right ;)
Relax. Respect the Process.

starting5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:53 AM »
I learned we can only beat SEC teams from Mississippi and Kentucky

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »
We got wamped!  It was a huge thrashing.

The season is young and we will learn from this debacle.

Buzz and coaches need to work out schemes to beat more talented and deep teams.

Not sure what happened to Jamil, but, he needs to step up and be more assertive as a leader and as a scorer.  

This game was a wake up call.  We will do better.  Let's start by winning the next game!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 07:48:18 AM »
I don't think you can take much other than Florida is better at every position and that Vander was the only MU player who consistently played hard. I thought after they blocked two shots early we were as scared as I have ever seen MU. Total buttkicking that Buzz has to turn into a learning experience.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
I learned that everything is better with Mayo.  I'm not saying he would have made much difference last night (although he had a great game against UF in the tournament), but we deparately need a scorer and someone with the experience to show leadership in games like that.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
Vander Blue is the best player on this team.  Not earthshattering news but what is surprising is it's not even close.  

Agree, but not something we just learned tonight.

This is reason #1 why people like myself call out those who used to make excuses for Blue's offensive play.  They are the homers.  I'm sorry, but three games doesn't make him the best player on the team.  Keep up this play for 10 or 15 games and then we'll talk and he probably will be the best player on the team this year.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »
This is reason #1 why people like myself call out those who used to make excuses for Blue's offensive play.  They are the homers.  I'm sorry, but three games doesn't make him the best player on the team.  Keep up this play for 10 or 15 games and then we'll talk and he probably will be the best player on the team this year.

Ok... Who is then?

JD

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »
Ok... Who is then?

Exactly +1, i would love to hear this answer..
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
Biggest lesson learned from this "debacle", and I really do love the word debacle in general, is that this board should be shutdown and off limits to all posters for 24 hours after any loss, let alone after a game where we severely under performed and looked like a junior high team. 

We are not awful.  We just played one awful game.

We are not devoid of talent.  We have a lot of talented players and three of them might eek out a good living playing professionally.

The talent level is good and comparable year over year.  This team needs time to gel and mesh that talent together if they can.  We lost 2 alpha players last year and players are stilling trying to find their roles.

We do need another offensive weapon and losing Mayo does hurt A LOT.  Not because he is some great NBA talent, far from it.  It hurts a lot because he provides another offensive player and a key one who has the ability to open up lanes with his perimeter shooting which is something that this team is missing.  His ability strengthens are weaknesses.  Allows other players to slide into their appropriate roles better.  (Juan Anderson and Jake Thomas should not be getting as many minutes as they are)

Gardner and J. Wilson need to become more consistent for this team to achieve what it can achieve.  They will get there.  When they are clicking, this team performs infinitely better.

Junior is a solid player but he is what he is.  D. Wilson is not better than Junior.  Having said that, Junior needs to perform up to his ability which he has not done.

I expect huge improvement over the course of the year like Buzz's teams have always done year over year and we will make the big dance come March.  Its just hard to see that after last night's "debacle".

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
What the hell does leadership have to do with it? Jamil might be the best leader in college basketball but if he shoots 1-8 with 5 TOs, all the leadership in the world isn't going to help that.

Agreed. How is leadership quantifiable? Are players not putting in the actual work? Watching Film, practicing, spending time in the weight room/work outs? Leadership is worthless if the other team is just better at basketball. It's not complicated. End of story.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
Agreed. How is leadership quantifiable? Are players not putting in the actual work? Watching Film, practicing, spending time in the weight room/work outs? Leadership is worthless if the other team is just better at basketball. It's not complicated. End of story.

You don't watch much college basketball or college sports.  Leadership is huge in college.  And leadership means a bunch of different things.  But bottomline, who is going to be the William Wallace.  The guy in the huddle or locker room holding teammates accountable and setting the standard for effort and play.  I hate to say it and I ain't going to call out names or point to a part of the game, but most observers saw some kids just give up.  Honestly, I saw some kids that are getting called out putting some effort in at the end of the game but it was kinda too little too late.  And hopefully some of the kids learn from this. 

Everyone knows that there isn't a bigger critic than me of Blue.  I like to think I give credit where credit is due and the kid is stepping up right now and playing some really good ball.  I commented on another thread the the Blue era might be coming because I saw something last night.  It was about the 5 minutes mark, we were getting killed and FL PG was just waltzing around the top of the key and Blue got right in his grill defensively and was sticking him.  Now he got a couple too many frustration bumps in and the refs called a foul, but I liked it.  Blue looked just really pissed off and you need players that are gonna get a little pissed when you get your butt kicked and not just give up.  We shall see but Blue is turning some serious corners in November.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
Georgetown is using a pretty solid zone tonight against Tennessee. Gulp.

Parsighian

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 11:58:04 PM »
I learned that everything is better with Mayo. 

No doubt. I can't imagine tuna fish, egg salad, or smoked turkey on rye without it. With roast beef I like a little mayo along with freshly grated horseradish. My GF likes a healthy squirt of mayo every night.

feedback