Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wisconsin-Virginia  (Read 6354 times)

tower912

• All American
Wisconsin-Virginia
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:16:32 PM »
Just as one would expect.   11:19 to go in the first, 10-7 Virginia.  Butt-ugly.     Freshman 50 ugly.    We had better lay a 20 pt beatdown on Bucky this year.   That will temporarily take away the chinese water torture aspect of conference realignment. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RJax55

• All American
Re: Wisconsin-Virginia
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
Just as one would expect.   11:19 to go in the first, 10-7 Virginia.  Butt-ugly.     Freshman 50 ugly.    We had better lay a 20 pt beatdown on Bucky this year.   That will temporarily take away the chinese water torture aspect of conference realignment.  

C'mon tower, this is the way the game is supposed to be played. Great fundamentals, just ask Fran.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:47:24 PM by RJax55 »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
If we guard the three, I feel fine. Last year we were great at doing that at the Kohl Center. Keep the ball in Brust's hands and I feel good. I think he's far more dangerous off the ball. Berggren will be a very tough matchup. Hopefully, he hangs out by the 3-point line.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
Watch the badgers shoot 50% from downtown when they play us......I cant even watch this game right now.....Disgusting

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
A frightening display of basketball acumen.     At least Wiscy lost. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »
Bo just stood at the end looking at his 2 guys kill 20 seconds off the clock. I love it. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »
Bo just stood at the end looking at his 2 guys kill 20 seconds off the clock. I love it. 

Yeah the last 20 seconds was a disgrace.  It looked like the 1950s with a bunch of traditional taking 20 seconds to hurry a shot.  All that was missing was the horn-rimmed glasses with white tape on the bridge.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »
Yeah the last 20 seconds was a disgrace.  It looked like the 1950s with a bunch of traditional taking 20 seconds to hurry a shot.  All that was missing was the horn-rimmed glasses with white tape on the bridge.

Don't forget the white Chuckie T's, knee high striped tube socks, and short shorts.   Brust looked like he was shooting set shots. 

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »
Don't forget the white Chuckie T's, knee high striped tube socks, and short shorts.   Brust looked like he was shooting set shots. 

Not to mention belted shorts - good god...

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »
Shortly after the game, Pomeroy announced that the Badgers were now ranked #1 by his service, and then wrote a really long blog explaining why. Something about outliers.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
If we guard the three, I feel fine. Last year we were great at doing that at the Kohl Center. Keep the ball in Brust's hands and I feel good. I think he's far more dangerous off the ball. Berggren will be a very tough matchup. Hopefully, he hangs out by the 3-point line.

UW has shot 169 three pointers in the 7 games this season so far.  I agree that if you defend that well and keep them to a low % then we win.  They have nobody that can create their own shot, they simply swing the ball around until they are open and pray a 3 falls.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »
I'm still very worried about how they can spread MU out with their shooters. They did that two years ago and essentially won the game on the offensive glass.

Glad MU has some time to rest and prepare for this one.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:16:21 PM »
We will destroy Madison next week, they are not very good. Their best player tonight was Big Berg, Otule and Gardner can take it to him. Wilson can handle Ginger.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 11:37:05 PM »
Shortly after the game, Pomeroy announced that the Badgers were now ranked #1 by his service, and then wrote a really long blog explaining why. Something about outliers.

Personal favorite.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 07:52:05 AM »
That game summarized completely why I really don't understand Bo as a coach.  Nothing to get Dekker open at all.  Keeps a timeout in his pocket while they're running around like mice on crack in the last 20 seconds.  Berggren is their best player, and how Brusewitz gets equal minutes to him I will never know.

And the best stat?  They shot *five* free throws the entire game.  Five.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
I got what I wanted.   Wiscy lost ugly in a nationally televised game.   

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »
And the best stat?  They shot *five* free throws the entire game.  Five.

I think the free throws came late in the game too. The offense looks very different than it did when Bo started. Less about mismatches, especially in the post with guards, and more about shooting threes. Although, they have some guys that can hit the three, so they are still dangerous.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:03:52 AM by cheebs09 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »
Here's a stat:  MU's 3 point shooting is at 37%, UW's is 35.5% for the year. And we've attempted 73 through six games while UW has attempted 172 through seven.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »
That game summarized completely why I really don't understand Bo as a coach.  Nothing to get Dekker open at all.  Keeps a timeout in his pocket while they're running around like mice on crack in the last 20 seconds.  Berggren is their best player, and how Brusewitz gets equal minutes to him I will never know.

And the best stat?  They shot *five* free throws the entire game.  Five.

Thats because Bo wont deviate from his system:
Run the swing with very few variances.  This doesnt allow for setting up a scorer very much.  They can however run that back pick as part of the swing to get a post up situation for whoever they want within the pattern.  Berg is terrible passing out of a double team though.

Play sagging man to man defense.

He has won many games with this.

Doesnt appear that he has the horses to pull it off this year.  But you never know.  If they limit posessions and hit their threes.  They can still be dangerous.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »
UW isn't a great 3pt shooting team, but they aren't afraid to put them up, and if you leave them open, they can hit them.

MU should pressure the ball, switch on screens (MU has versatility on defense to guard multiple positions), and push dribble drives into Outle and/or Jamil. UW isn't a great ball handling team, so push them into traffic and make them shoot over MU's shotblockers.

I assume that UW is going to put up a lot of 3's, so MU will also have to identify and box out on EVERY shot. Second chance points are costly because UW will reset and waste another 30 secs, which kills the flow of the game for MU.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 08:26:51 AM »
UW isn't a great 3pt shooting team, but they aren't afraid to put them up, and if you leave them open, they can hit them.

MU should pressure the ball, switch on screens (MU has versatility on defense to guard multiple positions), and push dribble drives into Outle and/or Jamil. UW isn't a great ball handling team, so push them into traffic and make them shoot over MU's shotblockers.

I assume that UW is going to put up a lot of 3's, so MU will also have to identify and box out on EVERY shot. Second chance points are costly because UW will reset and waste another 30 secs, which kills the flow of the game for MU.

Very weak ball handlers all over the floor for UW.  If there was ever a time to pressure somone.  UW is it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »

Perfect game plan.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
I can't stand them, but I will never underestimate them. We will need to play a crisp, strong, game to win. We can't take anything for granted. I agree with the ball-pressure, switch-on-screens gameplan. We ought to win, but cannot get cocky or UW will make us pay for it.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
Many years when the better team loses this game.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
Perfect game plan.

It ain't rocket surgery.

UW from year to year is pretty similar, but obviously the abilities of the personnel changes.

They will play tough D, they will clog the lanes, they will prevent fast breaks. They want to control the ball, and the clock and they will execute until the defense makes a mistake.

The interesting match-up will be Gardner. MU hasn't had a low post scorer against UW in a long time. In fact, I don't even know Bo's general strategy for handling low post big men. Do they double from the backside? Do they double down? Do they double at all?

Also, I assume Vander is going to be pretty pumped up. If he plays under control, I think that will be a clear step forward in his basketball maturity.