Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Great recruiting news  (Read 27330 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Great recruiting news
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
Successful ones?

Coach K - no
Bill Self - no
Calipari - no
Matta - no
Crean - no
Boeheim - no
Brey - yes
Wright -yes
Dixon - yes
Pastner - yes (when successful)
Roy Williams - no

I dont think fans of these coaches have much to worry about.

Fixed. Basically if you aren't one of a short handful of programs (the Big 6 + MSU, Texas, Florida, etc) your coach will come up in coaching carousel conversations. Get used to it.

A coach has to stay at a program long enough to get out of that, a la Few (or by raising the program to a different level like Izzo) - and Few's name still comes up! Also, using coaches that have been at their schools for 3+ decades is a significantly different situation (Boeheim, Calhoun, basically GTIII). Didn't think that needed to be explained.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »
Izzo's name was floated for IU, Kentucky and the NBA.    Even Sparty isn't immune.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
Izzo's name was floated for IU, Kentucky and the NBA.    Even Sparty isn't immune.   

Also, the Pistons job a few years back if I recall.

Coaches are year to year, and this includes Buzz.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »

And very strongly for the Cavs job a couple of years ago.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
And very strongly for the Cavs job a couple of years ago.

And I seem to recall at least a mention in the newspaper for the Bulls job, before they hired Thibs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
Successful ones?

Coach K - no
Bill Self - no
Calipari - no
Matta - no
Crean - no
Boeheim - no
Brey - no
Wright - no
Dixon - no
Pastner - no
Roy Williams - no

I dont think fans of these coaches have much to worry about.

And don't forget that Williams did, indeed, leave a "destination" school and Self left a great Big Ten job to replace him.

"Yes," some would argue, "but those were special situations."

They always are.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »

I was initially going to say that tower covered this by mentioning the NBA, then remembered that Detroit hasn't really looked like a NBA franchise for a few years now :D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

unforgiven

• Starter
  • Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »
I guess what I really meant was that IF a job like UCLA were to open up, there would be plenty of successful basketball programs worried about their coach leaving. 

There was once a time after Wooden that UCLA struggled to find a new coach, so high were the expectations of Bruin Nation. The Wizard and his era were unique and it is likely no one will ever replicate his success. 
"Times are tough. And people are gonna be drinkin' themselves some booze."     Willie, A Raisin In The Sun

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
There was once a time after Wooden that UCLA struggled to find a new coach, so high were the expectations of Bruin Nation. The Wizard and his era were unique and it is likely no one will ever replicate his success. 

But that doesn't change that if UCLA fired Howland there aren't more than 4-5 programs that wouldn't be worried if their coach was mentioned. I'm not sure if Kansas wouldn't be sweating if Self got the call from Westwood.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
With that class coming in next year and all the hard work he has put into the program to get that class, I don't think Buzz would leave unless as most have said if one the those Blue blood programs open up or something really bad happens to force Buzz out.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »
Signing Day on ESPNU right now.

Tyler Roberson chose Syracuse over Villanova. Telep had some good things to say about Buzz's class but dropped them to No. 10 overall. Kennedy Meeks and Isaac Hamilton are up next.

unforgiven

• Starter
  • Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2012, 06:43:41 PM »
But that doesn't change that if UCLA fired Howland there aren't more than 4-5 programs that wouldn't be worried if their coach was mentioned. I'm not sure if Kansas wouldn't be sweating if Self got the call from Westwood.

I think the Wooden stink has cleared but for 20 years it inhibited UCLA coaching searches. Larry Farmer and Walt Hazzard anyone?
"Times are tough. And people are gonna be drinkin' themselves some booze."     Willie, A Raisin In The Sun

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »

I think KU fans might be a little tense if Travis Ford has another bad year.  I think MU fans should be cheering on Travis Ford right now as well.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
Hey, how about that recruiting class?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2012, 07:20:58 PM »
So we are a small school? I would compare us to ND or Georgetown in Basketball stature and I never hear their coaches mentioned every year to leave. Would politely disagree with you on overall coaching landscape and number of schools that worry about losing their hot shot coach.

The difference is that you have your ear to rail at MU and not for other schools.  Fans at other schools hear things about their coaches that we don't hear because we aren't as close to things.

Those other schools also aren't exactly the ones to use as a barometer.  Thompson's family has 40+ years at G'Town...it's a legacy situation.  Notre Dame has a tradition of coaches that a bit older, not subject to moving around as much.  I can't remember the last young coach they hired.  Marquette, instead, has hired young guys in their early 30's and you are going to get fluidity as a result of that.  No different than a lot of industries where the young buck things he can continue to do better and moves around...only later in life he\she sometimes says that was a good idea or maybe some weren't such good moves.

MU wasn't going to survive when KO left, we did.  We weren't going to survive when TC left, we did.  We weren't going to survive when Al left, we did.  We were going to finish in the bottom of the Big East when we joined..we didn't.  We'll survive.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but too many people care, too much money invested in the program, too much history for us not to survive.  We may take a step back, many schools have in football and basketball (USC, UCLA, Michigan, Notre Dame, NC State, Miami, etc, etc, etc,) but eventually they find their way back. 

Haven't we seen enough rumors go bottoms up here in the last 2 years to just enjoy each season and take it for what it is?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »
The difference is that you have your ear to rail at MU and not for other schools.  Fans at other schools hear things about their coaches that we don't hear because we aren't as close to things.

Those other schools also aren't exactly the ones to use as a barometer.  Thompson's family has 40+ years at G'Town...it's a legacy situation.  Notre Dame has a tradition of coaches that a bit older, not subject to moving around as much.  I can't remember the last young coach they hired.  Marquette, instead, has hired young guys in their early 30's and you are going to get fluidity as a result of that.  No different than a lot of industries where the young buck things he can continue to do better and moves around...only later in life he\she sometimes says that was a good idea or maybe some weren't such good moves.

MU wasn't going to survive when KO left, we did.  We weren't going to survive when TC left, we did.  We weren't going to survive when Al left, we did.  We were going to finish in the bottom of the Big East when we joined..we didn't.  We'll survive.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but too many people care, too much money invested in the program, too much history for us not to survive.  We may take a step back, many schools have in football and basketball (USC, UCLA, Michigan, Notre Dame, NC State, Miami, etc, etc, etc,) but eventually they find their way back. 

Haven't we seen enough rumors go bottoms up here in the last 2 years to just enjoy each season and take it for what it is?

Very nicely put. Well done Chicos.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »
Just to add to that, Brey was involved in the coaching rumors last year. I just googled an article that mentioned him for the Maryland job last year. I feel like he was involved in other teams. Also, isn't he hoping for the Duke job when K leaves?

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-source-breys-notre-dame-extension-expected-soon-20110507,0,3309551.story

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2012, 06:01:29 AM »
I think KU fans might be a little tense if Travis Ford has another bad year.  I think MU fans should be cheering on Travis Ford right now as well.

Agreed. I don't think Buzz would go to OSU, but if Self went home, it'd be hard to deny Kansas if they came calling. In basketball terms, that's a night-and-day difference from the likes of Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and SMU.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2012, 07:09:09 AM »
Very nicely put. Well done Chicos.

Agreed

Goose

• All American
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2012, 07:35:26 AM »
chico's

Agree with much of you said and definitely agree with enjoy the season. Right now I am extremely excited over recruiting class and looking forward to the season. Whatever happens after that will happen regardless of my thoughts or anyone else's. Glad to see you back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
Hey, how about that recruiting class?

Ha ... don't you know better than to try to re-hijack a thread that's been hijacked and crashed into a mountain?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson