Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Minutes/ rotation predictions  (Read 2084 times)

tower912

• All American
Minutes/ rotation predictions
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
Did anything happen yesterday that changes your thoughts on the rotation/minutes.    I still see CO/DG splitting the 5.    With Mayo gone, I see Junior, Trent, JWilson and Blue all averaging around 30 MPG +.    I see the remaining 35-40 minutes being distributed between Juan, Jake, and DWilson.    Anything we get from Ferguson and Taylor this year will be a bonus.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Minutes/ rotation predictions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
Thomas will play significant minutes.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:52:22 AM »
Thomas will play significant minutes.

I hate to eat crow, but you are probably right.  JC will be the main PG, and DW and JT will split the backup minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
I hate to eat crow, but you are probably right.  JC will be the main PG, and DW and JT will split the backup minutes.

No need to eat crow, circumstances have changed.   With Mayo gone, there are now 20 MPG to fill.    DWilson and Cadougan won't be on the floor together, Ferguson isn't ready.    Which leaves Jake.   And for all the disparagement, the fact remains he has a career scoring average of 12+ PPG at the (admittedly lower) D1 level.    He is going to have to be good for 15-18 mpg.   There really aren't any other options right now.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:01:35 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »
Thomas will play significant minutes and while it could change as Taylor acclimates, I see Anderson getting more minutes than Steve right now. Also, DW is going to allow for Junior to not have to play 35.

Center (40) -- 35 mpg DG/CO, 5 Jamil
Power Forward (40) -- 26 Jamil, 12 Juan, Taylor 2
Flex 2/3 (80) -- Vander 28, Lockett 28, Thomas 12, Taylor 6, Ferguson 4, Juan 2
Point (40) -- Junior 30, DW 10

Junior and Jamil get around 30, Vander and Lockett get close to that, DG and CO split time, Juan, Thomas, DW are the three main names off the bench. That's 9 guys going for double-digit minutes. If Mayo is back in the second half, that's silly depth.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »
Thomas will get minutes in lesser games but I do not think he is ready for primetime. You had hard time getting open against Colgate. Looks like good kid and hope he proves me wrong.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »
Goose, if not Jake, then whom?   Would you rather play Ferguson at this point?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
I'll defer the math a bit but I see Juan more at the #3 than the #4.  Steve will get meaningful minutes this year at the #4/5 as 'big body No. 3' (maybe 8-10?).  Jake gets around 10-12 at the #2 for right now.  I see up to 160 minutes out of our 'starting 6'. Our 5 man bench absorbs 40+. 

And don't count Ferguson out.  I know it was only Colgate but I think he's a notch ahead of where Juan was last year.  Even 5 minutes a game gives Blue/Lockett/Juan rest going into timeouts, etc.  By conference, does he grab minutes from Jake?  We'll see. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
I'll defer the math a bit but I see Juan more at the #3 than the #4.  Steve will get meaningful minutes this year at the #4/5 as 'big body No. 3' (maybe 8-10?).  Jake gets around 10-12 at the #2 for right now.  I see up to 160 minutes out of our 'starting 6'. Our 5 man bench absorbs 40+. 

And don't count Ferguson out.  I know it was only Colgate but I think he's a notch ahead of where Juan was last year.  Even 5 minutes a game gives Blue/Lockett/Juan rest going into timeouts, etc.  By conference, does he grab minutes from Jake?  We'll see. 

Tough to say that, since Juan was suspended for the first three games last year ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »
Thomas will get minutes in lesser games but I do not think he is ready for primetime. You had hard time getting open against Colgate. Looks like good kid and hope he proves me wrong.

I made that exact same comment last night about Jake.

I loved his hustle for loose balls and his willingness to battle for boards (someone had to), but ultimately his value to us is as a shooter.  He has a gorgeous stroke, but if he can't consistently create space for himself I don't know that he holds as much value defensively as some of the other guys competing for floor time.

That said, it's just one game...we all need to see a greater body of work before we can pass any kind of judgement.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
Tower

Too early on figuring out complete rotation IMO. I like Jake and hope we get him open. Only saying that in short time it seemed to me he is better suited for UW style than MU style. Again, hope the kid delivers for us.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
Jake is the best available choice at this point to back up Blue/Lockett.   Sure,  Trent might play a little 2 while Juan and Jamil play the forward positions.   Jake and Juan are going to get time though.    There isn't any way around it with this roster.    TJ Taylor and Mayo not being here leaves Jake having to play 15-18 mpg.   If anyone has a better solution, I'm listening.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 03:35:18 PM »
Jake was very effective at getting the ball into Gardner and that is why Jake had four assists. He also had four rebounds. D.Wilson had more assists than Cadougan. Lockett does some things very well, but basically he is player that is going to shoot within two feet of the basket. What I do not know now is if this was Juan's best game of the year. Remember last year there was a game Blue scored 25(?) points and looked all world, so one game is not a good predictor. Juan will most likely average less than 9 points a game and Thomas will likely average more than 3 points a game. The disappointing players last night were Blue, Cadougan, Taylor and Lockett(if you think he is going to be MU"s leading scorer). I was also disappointed in Jamil's rebounding.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »
I'd be surprised to see Jake at 15+ against BEast opponents.  Still, I really like his game and think he'll contribute.  I'll watch his D and ability to handle the rock against top flight guards closely.  I'd love to have his shooting touch available because that'll keep teams from collapsing on Gardner.  We've talked all off season about being somewhat offensively challenged.  If those two can do 'the other things', we'll be just fine.

feedback