[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: My Prediction: Dominic James will be back for his junior year.  (Read 9755 times)

MUCrisco

• Starter
My Prediction: Dominic James will be back for his junior year.
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:52:58 PM »
Previously, I have always said that Dominic James is gone after his sophomore year.  I don't think that being under 6 foot is going to make a difference for him in the NBA.  After all, TJ Ford was drafted in the lottery.  Chris Paul has done well in the League, and regardless of height, DJ is as athletic as him, if not more.  I think he is going to have an incredible year.

However, I recently, I took a look at NBAdraft.net's 2007 mock draft.  Murf made the outrageous claim that bigs do not want to sign with schools that run.  I disputed this by pointing out names that are projected to go in the top 10, such as Durant, Thadeus Young, Noah, Brandon Wright, Hawes, Thabeet, etc.

Looking at all of these names, I now believe that James might come back for his junior year.  Since high schoolers are no longer allowed to enter the draft, people such as Oden, Young, Durant, and Hawes will be in high demand this year.  Along with that, college players, such as Noah, Hortford, McRoberts, Hansborough, and Gray have decided to return to college. 

Next year's draft is loaded with bigs.  NBA teams usually go for big men before guards.   Therefore, Dominic James might be pushed down further in the draft.  Also, with apologies to Lott and Kinsella, we don't really have any seniors of note.  If everyone returns next year, and you add Christopherson and Mbakwe, we could have a pre-season Final Four pick.  That alone, might persuade James to come back.

So, I'm rethinking my position, and I am making this prediction.  Dominic James will be back for his junior year.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: My Prediction: Dominic James will be back for his junior year.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 12:54:25 PM »
I concur.
But I like to throw handfuls...

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 01:30:23 PM »
I've thought for a while that the draft was way too deep for DJ to make the jump to the lottery.  I always thought that if he'd went, he'd be a late first round pick (which is guaranteed money).  I think if he waited a year and continued to improve, he'd have a shot at the lottery.

That said, if he doesn't go, our 3 year streak of feeding players to the NBA will be broken!

I hope he stays and think we would have a final four/ national championship type team.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »
That said, if he doesn't go, our 3 year streak of feeding players to the NBA will be broken!

I could be wrong, but isn't it only a 2 year streak right now?  Wade was in the 2003 draft.  Diener played in the 2003-04 season and in the 2004-05 season, then got drafted in 2005.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »
Time will tell as to what DJ does.  If he decides to go, it means DJ and MU will probably have a very successful season.   

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 02:05:45 PM »
Nope you're right... there was a one year gap between Travis & Steve.

My bad!! :-[ 
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 02:09:20 PM »
So, I'm rethinking my position, and I am making this prediction.  Dominic James will be back for his junior year.

WAY too early to tell.  Of course, it all depends on what happens this year / how well he does (and how well MU does).  My initial guess is that he'll enter without an agent to test the waters.  If he thinks he would get guaranteed money - then he's gone.  And I would not blame him.

I'd love to have him back for a 3rd year (as well as the rest of the guys), but I'm not holding my breath.

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:10:57 PM »
there was a one year gap between Travis & Steve.

Ha.  I don't want to make this rip on LastWarrior day, but I'm sure you mean Dwyane and Travis. ;)

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »
I really hope that DJ does come back for his junior season, but I hope he comes back because he wants to win and not because he won't be drafted high in the first round.

Time will tell. I talk about this with my buddies all the time, (especially recently because we all can't wait for the season to start!), but this is really something to worry about after the season.

But just for the sake of the topic - Unanimous All-Big East Preseason Selection, mentioned recently as a preseason candidate for Big East POY, named in the top 50 preseason for the Wooden....it doesn't look too good if he has an incredible season to compliment the hype.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:41:47 PM »

WAY too early to tell. 

I have to agree that it is way too early to tell and we will know more by the end of the year.  Also, regardless of all the one and out players that will be coming out in the draft, isn't this a down year for point guards?  If Dom does indeed have a great year he will be drafted in the first round if he is one of the best at his position.

feedback