[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UW's Josh Gasser Tears ACL, Out For Season  (Read 5481 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
UW's Josh Gasser Tears ACL, Out For Season
« on: October 27, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »
ser.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
Josh Gasser out for the year
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
With a torn acl. Will redshirt.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:39:00 PM by GoMarquette32 »

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Josh Gasser out for the year
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
Guess they're SOL.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:42:44 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »
I'm assuming you mean acl, not sure what a cal is

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
torn calf?   ?-(

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »
Wow...that is one Bucky couldn't lose.  Ginger is out 4-6 weeks too to start the season.  Bo may have to slow it down to a 44 possession game.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
tough day to be a badger fan with the Gasser news and boy-wonder crapping down his pant leg in a tight game AGAIN...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »
I always want to grind Bucky into the ground, but never want to see injuries.    I hope the kid is able to recover by next year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
I always feel like the injury bug hits marquette much worse than UW, so therefore, I feel bad for the kid but not the fan base.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »
I always want to grind Bucky into the ground, but never want to see injuries.    I hope the kid is able to recover by next year.   

Same, I want to beat everyone when they're at their best so they can't say they could have won IF it weren't for the injury.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
I think UW is going to see a lot of full court press against them this year.  I figured they would even with Gasser, there will be even more pressure without him.

jpvegas

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Bad news for Gasser, ( I feel bad for any player suffering an injury like this), but may not be as bad for the Badgers.  I've heard that Marshall may have ended up being their starting point guard, or seeing the most minutes at point by the end of the year. 

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
I think UW is going to see a lot of full court press against them this year.  I figured they would even with Gasser, there will be even more pressure without him.

Comments like that bring memories of the '05 loss to Louisville when everyone's favorite Marcus Jackson was running the point forward.

that said, anything that bury's bucky makes me happy.

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Bad news for Gasser, ( I feel bad for any player suffering an injury like this), but may not be as bad for the Badgers.  I've heard that Marshall may have ended up being their starting point guard, or seeing the most minutes at point by the end of the year. 
Regardless, Gasser would have started somewhere and was their most consistent player.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 12:23:26 AM »
Tough break...er, tear.

Boo Bucky but hope he recovers.

Our rivalry won't be as good with a depleted and bad Badger team.
SS Marquette

jsglow

• All American
Re: Badgers Run Out Of Gas...
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
Best wishes to Gasser.  I hope he recovers fully.  Certainly leaves Bucky with a hole to fill.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »
Wow...that is one Bucky couldn't lose.  Ginger is out 4-6 weeks too to start the season.  Bo may have to slow it down to a 44 possession game.

They could be in for a very rough non-conference season. Without Gasser and Brusewitz, I think they'll be very hard pressed to beat either Florida or Creighton. Cal, Virginia, and Marquette all loom very large. They could easily be a pedestrian 7-5 by New Year's, and if they slipped up against Arkansas/Arizona State or Green Bay...eek.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
UW's Josh Gasser Tears ACL, Out For Season
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
Does this mean they will slow down the tempo even more?  Can they without going backwards?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8561106/wisconsin-badgers-josh-gasser-tears-acl-season

Updated: October 28, 2012, 12:15 PM ET

Wisconsin point guard Josh Gasser tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during practice Saturday morning and will miss the upcoming season, the school announced.  Gasser, a junior, will use his redshirt season and will have two seasons of eligibility remaining, the school said.

----

Losing Gasser changes things in Madison

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/66109/losing-gasser-changes-things-in-madison

The loss of All-American point guard Jordan Taylor affected early projections about Bo Ryan’s ability to lead Wisconsin to the top of the Big Ten in 2012-13, a perennial status for the program throughout his tenure.

Ryan’s offensive and defensive systems flow best when operated by dynamic point guards.

For the first time in years, however, the Badgers didn’t appear to have that in the months that preceded the start of this season.

And now that the program has announced that Josh Gasser -- the player Ryan called his starter at the position during Thursday’s Big Ten media day in Chicago -- will miss the 2012-13 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament, there are even more questions about the Badgers.

According to a Saturday news release from the team, Gasser tore the ACL during practice Saturday morning at the Kohl Center and will undergo surgery after an upcoming re-evaluation by the team’s medical staff. He will redshirt this season and preserve his two remaining seasons of eligibility, the school said.

Ryan will have to go with an inexperienced orchestrator regardless of whom he chooses to run the show in Madison.

He could turn to George Marshall, a redshirt freshman from Chicago. Traevon Jackson, a sophomore who averaged 5.4 minutes per game last season, will be in the mix, too.

But Gasser (7.6 points and 1.9 assists per game, 45.2 percent from the 3-point line 2011-12) offered Ryan’s program the best option in its transition to life without Taylor.

“Based on the summer, based on what we’ve done so far, Josh Gasser is the point guard,” Ryan said Thursday.

Saturday’s news is another early challenge for the program. The Badgers will compete without forward Mike Bruesewitz for the first few weeks of the season as he recovers from a leg injury.

Now what?

Well, throughout the media session Thursday, Wisconsin players and coaches talked about playing faster and diversifying the offense with the addition of freshman Sam Dekker. The Badgers, ranked No. 23 in the Associated Press preseason poll released Friday, talked about Taylor’s absence as an opportunity for more guys to get involved.

It was clear that they trusted Gasser and thought they’d succeed with him at point guard.

“He’s fundamentally sound. He’s someone who’s tough. Great defender. [He] shoots a high percentage,” said Badgers forward Ryan Evans during media day. “[He’s] someone who’s fun to play with. … A guy like Josh, he’s going to give you his all.”

The Badgers were a mystery in the months that followed Taylor’s graduation based on his immense contributions during his tenure. Now, they’re even more difficult to assess.

Ryan’s legacy suggests that he’ll find a way to win, especially with the early talk about Dekker’s next-level talent and potential impact this season. But he has to identify a new point guard, a unique situation for a coach who’s grown accustomed to utilizing elite prospects at the position.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: UW's Josh Gasser Tears ACL, Out For Season
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 11:31:52 PM »
A few real gems in there...

Quote from: BBFran
Bo runs his program with a "no crying" ethic

Really? Is there a coach that spends more time crying in the entire NCAA than Bo? Then I saw this regarding who plays point...

Quote from: Skalmo
I think the order is probably Marshall, Jackson, then Dekker.

Dekker? Really? The 6'7" freshman? I think he'll be a good player, but let's not confuse him with Kyle Anderson.

Quote from: danterp
Badger basketball is a wonderful thing under Bo.  It always will be.

Only if you already poked your eyes out with a fork.

Quote from: BBFran
Josh, on the other hand, was already a great Badger who had proved himself as one of the Big Ten's best players.

Cody Zeller, Aaron Craft, Deshaun Thomas, Trey Burke, and Tim Frazier are the Big Ten's preseason first team. Brandon Paul, Tim Hardaway, Victor Oladipo, and Drew Crawford would all be better guards, and I think there's a case that Gasser, while good, is only the third best player on Wisconsin (behind Evans and Berggren). One of the Big Ten's best? I like the kid, but that's just crazy talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 06:55:30 AM »
A few real gems in there...

Really? Is there a coach that spends more time crying in the entire NCAA than Bo? Then I saw this regarding who plays point...

Dekker? Really? The 6'7" freshman? I think he'll be a good player, but let's not confuse him with Kyle Anderson.

Only if you already poked your eyes out with a fork.

Cody Zeller, Aaron Craft, Deshaun Thomas, Trey Burke, and Tim Frazier are the Big Ten's preseason first team. Brandon Paul, Tim Hardaway, Victor Oladipo, and Drew Crawford would all be better guards, and I think there's a case that Gasser, while good, is only the third best player on Wisconsin (behind Evans and Berggren). One of the Big Ten's best? I like the kid, but that's just crazy talk.

Now now, if they cherry picked quotes from our crazies...

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »
Now now, if they cherry picked quotes from our crazies...
We'd be deciding between joining the Big 10 or letting Kentucky into the Big East.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »

+1. Hoping for the best for this kid. Hate seeing injuries, no matter the team.

feedback