[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Can one of the moderators take out the trash  (Read 11499 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Can one of the moderators take out the trash
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
The JaJuan Johnson thread is a complete embarrassment to MUScoop and more importantly Marquette University.
Please clean up that thread, and start suspending or banning the offending parties. 

People like me don't post much anymore because we don't want to participate in the childish behavior that goes on here.  It reflects poorly on all of us.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
Re: Can one of the moderators take out the trash
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
This post should be at the Superbar. Basketball only please.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »
If a tread about potential recruit to the basketball team which devolved into a debate about hookers, blow and whether 'He Got Game' is based on a true story isn't basketball related, what is?

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »
The thread should definitely get flushed.  My only hope is that some of those morons do not have or will not have MU diplomas.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:36:32 PM »
I agree ...its quite the embarrassment.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:12:24 PM »
I would not be very popular with the young crowd here if I was a moderator, because there would be a lot of posts I would delete.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
We don't ban people for being stupid. Just reread the thread and here's a recap. Kenosha Warrior makes a stupid post and everyone else gets riled up and engages him for seven pages.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
I'm with SoCal on this one.    At no point does anyone get personal, challenge the moderators, name names, etc.    If posting something stupid got one banned, this board could get awfully lonely.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »
As said in another thread...

Any more idiotic crap in this thread and I'll ban Kenosha for making everyone feel like they're entitled to say whatever they want.   No wait...I'll ban you for saying whatever you want.   What the heck, everyone is banned!

For the record, we've received several "requests" to ban Kenosha - and while I'll agree that he's posted some really, uh, off the wall thoughts lately, those aren't against the rules.  In case you need a brief rules refresher, see the "Welcome" post that has been pinned to the top for eternity now, but also remember that we expect you can self moderate. But if you become a moderation problem then we reserve the right to "remedy" problems.

I'll add to my quoted post by saying that I know we've got a few guys back to reading MUScoop more regularly because scout/fox is such a mess, and I appreciate you giving us another chance. But if you re-read my first paragraph, it probably captures my thoughts better than I really intended.  I believe that if we over-moderate here just because we don't like what somebody is saying, or think their ideas are dumb, then we've lost the spirit of a community.  If you've got a better idea than somebody, or if they are not well informed, then help them (us!) out and let us know what your better idea is.

Based on what does get moderated around here, I think the other 3 guys (spiral97, mu_hilltopper, SoCalwarrior) generally have similar thoughts, but they're free to act on their own too.  Depending on the day/week/month we all have varying amounts of time to spend on the board, but generally I know we would rather read about and enjoy Marquette basketball than be moderators.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:19:30 AM by rocky_warrior »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 08:05:16 AM »
SoCal and Rocky have it right, cosigned.

And just a reminder .. see that button over there <---  (Well, ok, not on my post because us mods are privileged  bastards you can't ignore.)

It looks like this: 

When you find stupid people you don't want to read no more .. that reality is a click away. 

It's free, won't cost you nothin', and you'll be happier for it.   :-*

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:24:42 AM »
I do not care about stupid posts. I do think posts with sexual content do not belong and that is what I would delete.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »
earmuffs.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:35 AM »
I do not care about stupid posts. I do think posts with sexual content do not belong and that is what I would delete.

There's a big difference between stupid and patently and deliberately offensive. Stupid is KenoshaWarrior asking today after months of debate if freshmen and sophomore basketball players will now be living in Carpenter. Patently and deliberately offensive is KenoshaWarrior suggesting that the Marquette co-eds should be whoring themselves out for the betterment of the basketball program.

The way I look at it, we know from experience that recruits and their parents are on this website. We also know that other parents of current Marquette students are on this website. I think all of them can accept stupid. But there is a colossal difference between the former and the latter. If I had a son taking a visit to Marquette and was under the impression that I was sending him to a brothel, or if I had a daughter at the school and was under the impression that she was working at a brothel, I'd be pretty pissed off.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
At least your daughter would be part of the 50% of college graduates who can find employment.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"