[Today at 10:04:06 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 09:12:02 AM]

2024-25 Roster by tower912
[Today at 07:04:54 AM]

NM by rocket surgeon
[Today at 05:46:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stone exploring options...  (Read 7755 times)

tower912

• All American
Stone exploring options...
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Stone exploring options...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Does he look really slow in the video posted on that site? How old was that footage?

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »
I thought he played with The Family, or something like that, out of Detroit last summer, so UM makes sense. I think his dad coaches Wisconsin Young Legends and some of the footage was from the pre-freshman summer. He isn't that fast in real time either, but you can't teach height or wingspan. I think the big "selling point" on him is that he isn't one of these kids who sprouted "X" number of inches over the summer and is now just growing into his body. He has been 6' 7" since 7th grade. IMO once he gets into a college style weightlifting, plyometric and conditioning program he will be an absolute beast if he works hard.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
He's smart to explore his options. I wasn't blown away by what I saw in that video...but if he's as good as people say, UK, UNC, etc will be chasing him. Will be tough to turn down those programs. Buzz has his work cut out for him.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I thought he played with The Family, or something like that, out of Detroit last summer, so UM makes sense. I think his dad coaches Wisconsin Young Legends and some of the footage was from the pre-freshman summer.

Didn't watch the vid, but he did run with both The Family (for example, for 16U at the Peach Jam) and Milwaukee Young Legends (saw him with 15U at adidas Super 64 late July in Vegas) this summer.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
Of course he's going to explore his options! As he should.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »
As much as we'd all love to see him commit to Marquette now, it's far more likely that the Michigans, Dukes, UNCs, and Kentuckys will be in on Stone and we will face a huge battle to keep him at home. This will be part and parcel of the next few years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 08:01:11 AM »
As much as we'd all love to see him commit to Marquette now, it's far more likely that the Michigans, Dukes, UNCs, and Kentuckys will be in on Stone and we will face a huge battle to keep him at home. This will be part and parcel of the next few years.

Did you just include the "Michigans" with the Dukes, UNCs and Kentuckys? Whoa.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »

Michigan state is on par with duke, uk and unc as far as recruiting. Michigan? Not so much..

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »

Yes, mainly because he's visiting there this weekend and because it will escalate. And because it wouldn't be that tough for them to get back to where they were 15-20 years ago. If Beilein can keep getting guys like Burke and McGary, especially with UM's resources, they'll get there sooner than some might like to think.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
Despite the awesome success MSU has had it really is surprising the lack of players they've sent to the NBA.  I love Izzo and everything that program is about, I just don't think it's a good fit for a one and done type player.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »
Yes, mainly because he's visiting there this weekend and because it will escalate. And because it wouldn't be that tough for them to get back to where they were 15-20 years ago. If Beilein can keep getting guys like Burke and McGary, especially with UM's resources, they'll get there sooner than some might like to think.

As a MSU post-graduate grad, and adopted MSU fan, I was kidding with you when I initially made my comment, but I do have a couple quick questions. 

(1) When you say UM will get there sooner than some might like to think, do you mean to the UNC, Duke, Kentucky level? If not, where is the "there" you are referring to.

(2)Who do you think is closer to the UNC, Duke, Kentucky level as it stands right now, Marquette or Michigan? Please note the second question does not ask who has the better potential to get to that level, because resources are what they are, but, who is closer as of right now.

BONUS QUESTION: Will Denard Robinson throw 4 interceptions and be sacked 8 times this upcoming weekend, or will he throw 9 interceptions and be sacked 42 times this upcoming weekend? If you don't really support or care about Michigan let me suggest the answer is likely the latter.....(Kidding).

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
I'll say this about Michigan's program.

First, their Jewish Studies program is awesome.

Second, they finally built a new training facility there similar to the Al. It's really, really awesome. Should help recruiting there immensely (as seen already in next year's rankings that have UM and MU ranked right by each other in the top).

Third, go green....snort white...and burn a couch of 300.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and say Diamond Stone won't go to Michigan for its Jewish Studies program.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »
1) Contender status, as they were in the 1980s and 1990s. I agree they aren't MSU now, but the capability is there. And note my "If", because if they keep getting 5-star recruits, I see them getting back to contender status, as MSU has over the past 15 years.

2) Right now, Marquette based on results. But UM is a lot closer than they were 2 years ago. As far as the future, I think they have the easier road to elite status, but I think it's generally folly to bet against any program with Buzz at the helm.

And I don't care about Michigan either way. However, I was incredibly annoyed because of them on a run a few weeks back. A guy was wearing all Michigan stuff and when we got him to the hospital, the doc asked "So you're a Michigan fan?" The guy replied "No, this is Marquette." The courteous customer service part of me stayed silent, but inside Inwas screaming "Just because it's blue and yellow with a big "M" on it doesn't make it Marquette!" So from a color and MU/UM perspective, I can't stand Michigan.

Though admittedly, I can probably find a working argument against any Big Ten team :D

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »
^ LOL, one of my stepsons made that same mistake 10 years ago and bought me a Michigan sweatshirt thinking it was Marquette (the worst part is he has always been a MI football fan and should have known better)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »
I think there's a bunch of schools out there, just like Michigan and personally I don't get what makes Michigan different from them.  There's plenty of schools with great brands, nice facilities, and good players, but it usually takes a once in a generation type coach and a little luck to truly elevate a program to "elite" status.  I don't think Michigan's current and potential situation is all that special.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
I think there's a bunch of schools out there, just like Michigan and personally I don't get what makes Michigan different from them.  There's plenty of schools with great brands, nice facilities, and good players, but it usually takes a once in a generation type coach and a little luck to truly elevate a program to "elite" status.  I don't think Michigan's current and potential situation is all that special.

Michigan is somewhat polarizing program (primarily because of the Fab Five), which garners them national media attention. Do you realize that Michigan hasn't even gotten to the Sweet 16 since 1994?

Looking at the program history...
Michigan: 23* NCAA appearances, 11* Sweet 16 appearances, 6* Final Fours and 1 National Championship.

Compare that with...
Marquette: 31 NCAA invites, 15 Sweet 16s, 3 FF and 1 NC.

The primary difference right now is that a lot of basketball fans remember the Fab Five and all that came along with it. Marquette's heyday was in the 1970s which is ancient history for many fans.

* - including 2 that were vacated

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 03:37:18 PM »
I'll say this about Michigan's program.

First, their Jewish Studies program is awesome.

Second, they finally built a new training facility there similar to the Al. It's really, really awesome. Should help recruiting there immensely (as seen already in next year's rankings that have UM and MU ranked right by each other in the top).

Third, go green....snort white...and burn a couch of 300.

I was so insulted by the ignorant last line of your post that I burned a couch in protest. I then burned a couch in celebration of the successful protest I had just staged.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 11:07:59 PM »
I think I might apply to Michigan's business school.   ;D