Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who takes the last shot?  (Read 4470 times)

tower912

• All American
Who takes the last shot?
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »
After watching Buzz's offense for a few years, I have come to notice that he always seems to get his go-to guys the ball at the top of the key late in the shot clock or late in the game.   Then Lazar/Jimmy/Jae/DJO/Jerel/Wes would either shoot the 3 or attack.   So the latest in today's basketball related questions is this.....who gets the ball at the top of the key with under 10 on the clock?    I have 3 candidates, each with question marks.   1.  JWilson.   But can he put ball on the floor well enough to attack the lane from the the top?    2.   Lockett.   But will Buzz and his teammates trust him?   3. Mayo.   But is he ready?       I think Vander could be in the mix, but I just don't know about his jumper yet.   Based on history, who wants to see Vander shooting a 3 with under 10 to play in a tight game?    Hopefully he improves. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Who takes the last shot?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
I'd guess Junior ahead of Vander. He'll have the ball in his hands, he's a senior, and reportedly has been working very hard on his shot. I think that he'll be another option. If we need a 3, I also wouldn't rule out Jake Thomas. If we can get him isolated, he is absolutely lethal as long as he's inside half-court.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »
Lockett. Book it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
I think there are many possibilities, but it all will be run through Cadougan. If we need a three to to tie, I would expect Thomas and Mayo to be opposite sides of the court waiting for a Cadougan pass. If we need a two, I think it will be Jamil Wilson on the wing and Gardner in the low post waiting for a Cardigan feed. Cadougan will have the option of shooting the ball, if the play is breaking down or they leave an open path to the basket. In no scenario do I see Blue as the intended shooter.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:47:04 AM »
Lockett or Jamil.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »
Lockett. Book it.

I forgot about him. However, he is a great offensive rebounder, so I think he would be put in position to rebound a missed shot instead of being the one to take it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »
I forgot about him. However, he is a great offensive rebounder, so I think he would be put in position to rebound a missed shot instead of being the one to take it.

He's also a 50% shooter from the floor who can get to the basket.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »
In a 1-4 offensive set, Vander is very tough to guard up top without help.

I don't think he shoots it well enough (yet) to be the end of game guy... but I think he's probably the best iso guy right now.

Mayo is creative enough to get off a decent shot. We'll have to see how his distribution skills continue to develop.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
I'd guess Junior ahead of Vander. He'll have the ball in his hands, he's a senior, and reportedly has been working very hard on his shot. I think that he'll be another option. If we need a 3, I also wouldn't rule out Jake Thomas. If we can get him isolated, he is absolutely lethal as long as he's inside half-court.

I understand the thinking behind the Jake Thomas suggestion but if he isn't getting steady minutes during the games (I hope he does but honestly none of us know how much he'll play) I don't want him coming into the game ice cold with the responsibility of hitting the game winner. I'd much rather give it to Mayo who will see a good 25min a game and will hopefully be in a flow/rhythm.

Of course if Jake does turn out to be a player and gets time then feed him the rock and let him do his thing.
Bring back FFP!!!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
I'm hoping Jamil can step up like Jimmy did a few years back when he made all of those game winning shots.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »
Junior looks poised to have a huge season and I think the ball would be in his hands on the last possession. Instead of having that go to guy like in the past I think Junior will use all options and pick the open guy or take it to the lane.   

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
I think it will be Vander - primarily.  He showed some signs of having late game toughness starting mid-way through the BE season.  I can't remember which games, but he hit some clutch free throws in the final minutes of a few games. 

Mayo was also a pretty good FT shooter and can create.

Wilson just makes things happen.  Though I don't know if he has the ball handling skills to create his own shot in the final seconds, but I expect 5+ putback shots for the win from him. 

BlueMayo are the only "known" creator/scorers we have (Lockett remains to be seen - as does everyone else).   Hope it's closer by committee.  I like seeing a diverse list of SoGs.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
Junior looks poised to have a huge season and I think the ball would be in his hands on the last possession. Instead of having that go to guy like in the past I think Junior will use all options and pick the open guy or take it to the lane.   

While I don't think that Junior is necessarily the guy you'd want taking a last minute shot for this team I've absolutely loved watching him develop into a finisher for this team...what I mean is, any time we found ourselves in a tight game last season Junior clearly WANTED the ball in his hands...he may not be a shooter, but the kid's a player and he's mentally tough...late game situation, you put it in his hands and trust him to make the right decision with the ball.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 12:46:45 PM »
Dylan Flood.  Sharpshooter. 

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
The player with the ball last.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
Jamil,  I think he is going to have a huge year and be our "go to guy" by the end of the season

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »
Jake!

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »
The ball will be in Junior's hands.  He will be told to get to the free throw line or find the open man.

Buzz has been so tough on junior the past few years, it is going to pay off this season in spades.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »

I'm going to go with Junior or whoever Junior passes to.  I think he'll have the ball in his hands to create, either taking an outside jump shot, or going hard to the hoop and shooting or dishing (to Gardner or Jamil).

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »
I'm going to go with Junior or whoever Junior passes to.  I think he'll have the ball in his hands to create, either taking an outside jump shot, or going hard to the hoop and shooting or dishing (to Gardner or Jamil).

Junior will either shoot it or facilitate it to most likely Lockett, Mayo, Wilson or Gardner.  I sure hope Vander steps up this year as many here seem to think he will.  He's shown me zero ability to create AND CONVERT on his own off the dribble.  He scores off of transition and assisted baskets primarily.  Seems to me 90% of the time he drives to the basket it gets blocked or he misses the shot, and in many cases badly.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
Have to go with Jamil at the top of the key.  If he doesn't have the shot he somehow gets it into Gardner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
Get the ball to Gardner for a bucket or a foul
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
sorry, I thought the thread title was about a bottle of Cuervo

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »
nm

LAMUfan