Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shumpert Update  (Read 9988 times)

Wade-A-Minute

• Walk-On
Shumpert Update
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »
The competition keeps getting tougher. It would really stink if NC wins out after getting involved at the last minute. Good luck TC.

It is now official--the University of North Carolina has now officially become a player in the recruitment of 6'4 guard Iman Shumpert from Oak Park High School in Oak Park, IL, as they have extended a scholarship offer.  Tarheel head coach Roy Williams followed Shumpert extensively throughout the Lebron James Skills Academy in Akron, OH and made the offer upon the camp's conclusion.  In addition to North Carolina, Shumpert still has Illinois, Marquette, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Notre Dame and Bradley at the top of his list and has not yet begun to trim it any further.

Continue to check in with Illinois Prep Bulls-eye for all of the latest as it pertains to recruiting and high school basketball in Illinois

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Shumpert Update
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »
The Ghost of Bobby Frasor's PT compels you

..........beware over-recruiting on Chapel Hill

Larry Drew, Jr sends his regards to Mr. Shumpert, I'm sure

;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:18:01 PM by NYWarrior »

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 02:37:45 PM »
Ah crap.  I hate UNC.

Anyone know who the backup plan is if Shumpert is no longer an option (other than Crittle)?
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »
i beleive we are looking for 1 guard with the hope it is Shumpart or Clarke.  then either Thomas or crittle ideally as abig.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »
i beleive we are looking for 1 guard with the hope it is Shumpart or Clarke.  then either Thomas or crittle ideally as abig.

Dont forget Ben-Eze or Sutton as other bigs......Clarke - seems like a long shot.  I'd imagine Max Kenyi is the more likely fall-back if Shumpert looks elsewhere.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »

We still don't know if we have 3 ships or 2 ships for next year with Williams already in the fold.  We are currently one over the limit for this year with either Trend or Saunders being the odd men out at this point in time.  If Trend leaves this year than we will only have 2 ships for next year and it might come down to a big (Crittle or Sutton) or a guard like Shumpert.  I really don't see us in the mix with Clarke but who knows.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 04:25:57 PM »
Willie Warren out of Texas is right there behind Shumpert
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 07:15:15 PM »
Is just me of does Rotnei Clarke look funny? Kinda like Wojo or the stereotypical Dookie that is underathletic and can shoot from the outside, huh?
SS Marquette

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 08:04:42 AM »
Willie Warren out of Texas is right there behind Shumpert

that's a pipe dream

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 11:14:30 AM »

We still don't know if we have 3 ships or 2 ships for next year with Williams already in the fold.  We are currently one over the limit for this year with either Trend or Saunders being the odd men out at this point in time.  If Trend leaves this year than we will only have 2 ships for next year and it might come down to a big (Crittle or Sutton) or a guard like Shumpert.  I really don't see us in the mix with Clarke but who knows.

No matter what happens with Trend this year, right now there are only two scholarships that look available.  The 11 others will be taken by:

1. Acker
2. Burke
3. Cubillan
4. Hayward
5. James
6. Matthews
7. McNeal
8. Mbwake
9. Saunders
10. Christopherson
11. Hazel

Of course we don't know if all 4 frosh will all be enrolled, whether James goes to the NBA next season, whether McNeal goes to the NBA, etc.

Lets say that Saunders never arrives, James improves his game and declares for the NBA, McNeal goes the the pre draft camps (without hiring an agent--like James this year) and blows up--MU could be looking at 5 scholarships to give out.

My guess is that if Shumpert, Clarke and Crittle all say they want to come to MU, Crean will gladly accept all three LOIs, despite the fact that right now there are only two scholarships visibly available.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 11:18:37 AM »
What are you saying happened to Nick Williams?
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 12:27:40 PM »

Who? ;)

Shhhh.. he's a secret.. if we get away with it then he won't count towards a schollie.. don't ruin the plan!

Actually, just check out this handy dandy scholarship table here on muscoop and all your questions are answered.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »

Who? ;)

Shhhh.. he's a secret.. if we get away with it then he won't count towards a schollie.. don't ruin the plan!

Actually, just check out this handy dandy scholarship table here on muscoop and all your questions are answered.

Love the table Spiral...any chance that the red and orange can be substituted for a different color...at least one of them.  Light green, pink, or even white.  It's hard to tell the difference between the orange and red.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »
Love the table Spiral...any chance that the red and orange can be substituted for a different color...at least one of them.  Light green, pink, or even white.  It's hard to tell the difference between the orange and red.

Sure - I've got the spreadsheet version of the table at home.  I'll change and update it on here someday soon  ;)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 12:46:01 PM »

Who? ;)

While I'd love to take credit, our very own Rocky is responsible for creating it.  It's been available almost as long as MUScoop.com itself.  You can find it and many other cool things in the features menu to the left.  We'll check out the colors!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »

Who? ;)

While I'd love to take credit, our very own Rocky is responsible for creating it.  It's been available almost as long as MUScoop.com itself.  You can find it and many other cool things in the features menu to the left.  We'll check out the colors!

This old man's eyes appreciate it.  Thank you

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 03:42:48 PM »
This old man's eyes appreciate it.  Thank you

It's updated with the Orange now being an orange/salmon/pinkish color (much lighter than it used t be).  Not perfect, but hopefully better.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

Another question though (for anyone), I added Tony Walls as a walk on for 2008, the wiki seems to indicate he'll be on this years squad, but then his individual wiki page says 2008.  What's the correct answer?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 04:10:03 PM »
The 5-foot-10 Walls will be attempting a rare double at Marquette when he arrives on campus in the fall of 2008.

.. So it's 2008-09, he'll be a freshman.  Wiki is fixed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:13:20 PM by mu_hilltopper »

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 05:19:06 PM »
If he's recieving an athletic scholarship for playing soccer I don't see how there's any way he could be walking on for basketball
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 05:28:03 PM »
Do we have a legitimate number 2 after Shumpert?

I think he's destined for UNC or Clemson and don't want to see MU in the lurch and stretching which will kill us with this class. Williams is a great start but it needs to be filled with quality.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »
If he's recieving an athletic scholarship for playing soccer I don't see how there's any way he could be walking on for basketball

Because a basketball schollie doesn't have to be used on him. He already has a full ride for playing soccer so he's walking on to the basketball team.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 09:16:55 PM »
I don't believe that is possible, at least as the NCAA heirarchy of scholarships is concerned. If he plays soccer and basketball, then any athletic scholarship automatically is attributed to basketball. That way, schools can't circumvent the scholarship limit by giving full athletic scholarships for basketball "walk-ons." I believe the same is true of football, with football scholies at the top of the heirarchy.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 05:55:31 AM »
I don't believe that is possible, at least as the NCAA heirarchy of scholarships is concerned. If he plays soccer and basketball, then any athletic scholarship automatically is attributed to basketball. That way, schools can't circumvent the scholarship limit by giving full athletic scholarships for basketball "walk-ons." I believe the same is true of football, with football scholies at the top of the heirarchy.

Nope. He'll be a scholarship soccer player who will play basketball as a walk-on....just like Marcus West years ago.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=596980
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 06:34:28 AM by NYWarrior »

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 10:32:39 AM »
Illinois is no longer in the running for Oak Park star Iman Shumpert

Taylor Bell checks in as Shumpert cuts his list to five schools...

Oak Park's Iman Shumpert, who is rated among the top 15 high school basketball players in the Class of 2008 by one national scouting service, said Monday that he has narrowed his college choices to five--Bradley, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Marquette and North Carolina.

Shumpert, a 6-4 guard whose talent evaluation has skyrocketed during the spring and summer, rejected scholarship offers from Illinois and Notre Dame. He said he will visit Bradley in early August and may visit North Carolina, which offered a week ago. He hopes to make a decision before classes begin.

Shumpert said he wanted to trim his list at this point as a gesture of respect to all the schools recruiting him, thus giving them an opportunity to shift their focus on other prospects.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »
Shumpert said he wanted to trim his list at this point as a gesture of respect to all the schools recruiting him, thus giving them an opportunity to shift their focus on other prospects.

I'll take that as good news. I wish more recruits were straightforward. So we can expect to know his decision in the next month then, at least the wild goose chase won't go on forever