Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dawson to MU!  (Read 44425 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Dawson to MU!
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2012, 12:20:25 PM »
So a 3-star w/upside?

That's code for: 50% chance that, due to his homesickness, he'll decide to look for other opportunities closer to home.

Is how i'd phrase it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »
But he has offered players sight unseen, and based on very little examination (see: Roseboro, Bret).
None of us know anything about Dawson, nor do we know what Buzz knows/doesn't know about him. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Buzz offered Butler without seeing him play and he offered Jae after seeing him play only one game, and in that one played limited minutes and had negligible impact due to fouls.   Buzz thinks this kid can contribute and the kid wants to play for Buzz.    That is all I know but it is enough to make me not want to trash the kid.     Personally, I try not to do that until the kid has been at MU a couple of years and shown little improvement and/or a poor attitude.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:57:22 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
But he has offered players sight unseen, and based on very little examination (see: Roseboro, Bret).
None of us know anything about Dawson, nor do we know what Buzz knows/doesn't know about him. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Very early on, at a position of great need that has been a major problem for us, Buzz offered a guy said to be a rising star by scouts and his assistant Aki Collins. Doubt he'd take such a gamble at a position as well stocked as point guard.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »

Yeah, I have. I would definitely take Sante Fe over Milwaukee in a heartbeat.
Sante Fe and Taos (and even Albuquerque to a lesser extent) are beautiful places.

The rest of New Mexico is comprised entirely of sand and rocks (and abandoned nuclear testing sites) and has few redeeming qualities.

If he was from Sante Fe you would have a point.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »
Does every recruit that MU brings in need to be recruited by Kansas, UNC and Duke? Teams need role players too. Considering Buzz brought in no-name recruits like Butler, DJO, Crowder and Gardner, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Butler had an offer from Kentucky.
DJO was being recruited by the likes of Kansas (thank goodness for Buzz's JUCO connections on that one).
Crowder was a JUCO All American.
Gardner was an all-state player from an athlete-rich part of the country who had offers/interest from other Big East programs.
Not exactly a bunch of no-names.

That said, obviously you're correct that every team needs role players. But no coach goes out and recruits a kid hoping he'll be a role player or pitching him on the idea of being a role player. Buzz obviously thinks Dawson can play. Of course, he thought that of Mbao, Roseboro and McMorrow, too. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're not (and this goes for every coach, not just Buzz).
We'll find out.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
Buzz offered Butler without seeing him play and he offered Jae after seeing him play only one game, and in that one play limited minutes and have negligible impact due to fouls.   Buzz thinks this kid can contribute and the kid wants to play for Buzz.    That is all I know but it is enough to make me not want to trash the kid.     Personally, I try not to do that until the kid has been at MU a couple of years and shown little improvement and/or a poor attitude.  

Who's trashing the kid?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 12:31:23 PM »
So a 3-star w/upside?

That's code for "unfortunatley, due to his homesickness, he decided to look for other opportunities closer to home. We will miss him as part of the program" come, what...August, 2013?
That did not happen with Gardner. Not everyone leaves.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
He looks 6-1 in the YouTube videos. Perhaps the upside is that he has sprouted recently. (wishful thinking).
Some of the videos were from his sophomore year. Besides that unless you know the heights of the players he is playing against how can you say from a video what his height is. All I know is as a sophomore he had no trouble dunking the ball. He also looks like he has good quickness.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
Sante Fe and Taos (and even Albuquerque to a lesser extent) are beautiful places.

The rest of New Mexico is comprised entirely of sand and rocks (and abandoned nuclear testing sites) and has few redeeming qualities.

I've heard Greater Albuquerque has some of the purest meth around.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »
http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/john-dawson-pg-2013

"Dawson has elite court vision and the ability to make all his teammates better.  He can score on a 3 levels.  He loves getting out in transition where he is pretty much unstoppable when attacking the rim.  He has excellent ball handling skills and can knock down the open 3-point shot with consistency.  His length and athleticism and being 6'4" is what sets him apart from other point guards in the class."

Sounds like exactly the type of player Buzz likes.  And look on a map to find Clovis and you see why he might be under the radar.

(Wonder if he is the son of an Air Force parent....)
I f you scroll all the way down they have a catagory called similar point guards. First one listed is Bronsen Koenig.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »

New Mexico is like every state. Has some beautiful places—and some not so beautiful places.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »

That was on the recommendation of an assistant coach that is no longer here.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
It seems Brad Autry made a connection with the family, if it works fine, if it does not so be it.  Buzz recruited a few top 100 kids has that worked out like Erik Williams and even Juan
Anderson.  Not every kid will make it, but with 3 highly rated kids coming in, you can take a 3 star, and in 2 years under the guidance of Todd Smith and the coaching, it might
be a great pick-up.  Buzz tried higher ranked kids, they probably all looked at the roster and saw no real playing time.  Kids want to play, I am sure Buzz promised him an opportunity
to start which I would tell every kid coming in, then it is up to the kid to work hard and show he deserves PT time.  Patterson obviously was not interested.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
After watching the future150 video, I see a complete package PG.   In that video, the only thing I didn't see was the straight ahead, open court breakaway speed of a DJO/Vander/Jerel/Mayo, but I did see a long PG who is always under control and always seeing the floor.    Yeah, it is a highlight video, but the kid looks like he has the tools.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
Welcome to MU John. I like your court vision and offensive attacking ability. Have a great senior year!!!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
After watching the future150 video, I see a complete package PG.   In that video, the only thing I didn't see was the straight ahead, open court breakaway speed of a DJO/Vander/Jerel/Mayo, but I did see a long PG who is always under control and always seeing the floor.    Yeah, it is a highlight video, but the kid looks like he has the tools.   

Reminded me a little bit of Sam Cassell, not over the top speed, but very much in control.  Looks like he needs a little time with Todd Smith.  Shot looks good.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »
Reminded me a little bit of Sam Cassell, not over the top speed, but very much in control.  Looks like he needs a little time with Todd Smith.  Shot looks good.

Funny you should mention Sam...he was from New Mexico as well...near Roswell....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
Always thought there was a chance Sam was an alien. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
Funny you should mention Sam...he was from New Mexico as well...near Roswell....
Coincidence??  I think not.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
I've heard Greater Albuquerque has some of the purest meth around.

Don't worry, this wasn't missed by everyone.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
I chuckled as well

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
Does every recruit that MU brings in need to be recruited by Kansas, UNC and Duke? Teams need role players too. Considering Buzz brought in no-name recruits like Butler, DJO, Crowder and Gardner, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

My comment was directed at those who think that Dawson was somehow "missed" by Kansas, UNC and Duke becuase he's from Clovis NM.   

BTW, Butler, DJO and Crowder were not no-name recruits--Crowder was national JUCO player of the year.  Butler and DJO were all-Americans--DJO first team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. Wade was one of the best players in college his entire career and developed into one of the best players in the world. He got missed by the big boys in Chicago. Some guys get missed, no matter their talent or location. Is Dawson one of those? No clue. But I do think Buzz has a better shot at spotting those types than anyone on this board.

I believe the big issue with Wade was that the BCS schools couldn't take him because he was a Prop 48 kid.

Regarding Dawson - he looks smooth and solidly athletic.  Time will tell...but it wasn't long ago we were almost happy getting 3 star players....even when we had lots of available PT to sell.  Expectations have definitely risen as to what we should be capable of signing.  Interesting to note that Tony Benford is a New Mexico native - surprising to see that North Texas wasn't involved..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »

That I did not know, but good coincidence.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2012, 02:37:34 PM »
BTW, Butler, DJO and Crowder were not no-name recruits--Crowder was national JUCO player of the year.  Butler and DJO were all-Americans--DJO first team.

Quick, name 5 McDonald's All-Americans from this past season.

Now, name any JUCO player of the year or JUCO All-American other than the MU guys mentioned above.

feedback