Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More Trouble for Billy Gillespie  (Read 12806 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
More Trouble for Billy Gillespie
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »
You would think he would have his act together by now. And what should they have expected from a recruit with the name Wannah Bail  ;D

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20052645/more-trouble-for-gillispie-as-allegations-of-mistreatment-surface
As Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie remains in a hospital room with his coaching career in jeopardy, allegations continue to surface about his mistreatment of players, coaches and others in the Red Raiders program.

Sources close to the Texas Tech program told CBSSports.com that Gillispie reneged on several promises to coaches, kept players in scholarship limbo, causing them to miss opportunities and money, and also practiced injured players so severely that they openly wept in practice.

Calls to both Gillispie and Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt have not been returned. According to a hospital spokesperson at the University Medical Center, Gillispie remained a patient as of Tuesday night. Gillispie's Tulsa-based attorney Stuart Campbell told CBSSports.com that he would attempt to contact his client when reached Tuesday afternoon, but he had no immediate comment on the allegations.

Fifteen players have already left the program prematurely since he took over in March of 2011, with the most recent being highly regarded recruit Wannah Bail, a native of the Bahamas who didn't return after the first summer school session. Bail's summer coach, Terrul Henderson, told CBSSports.com that Bail's departure had nothing to do with academics -- as had been speculated.

"It was because of Gillispie," a source close to the program said. "He couldn't deal with him."

Bail is just one of approximately 30 bodies that have turned over since Gillispie got the job. There was a lengthy list that bolted a year ago, shortly after Gillispie took over, including secretary Leslie Hartline, assistant coach Chris Beard, trainer John Murray, video coordinator Jason Imes, graduate assistants Sean McCurdy and Colby Huseman, student manager Cooper Schmidt and academic advisor Marlon Dechausay. That's not it, either. Gillispie has gone through a pair of strength coaches already and two directors of basketball operations.

Former Indiana guard Tom Coverdale quit his job at Tyler Junior College after being promised an assistant coaching spot under Gillispie. Just days before he was set to arrive, Gillispie told Coverdale the job was actually an assistant strength position that paid about half as much as the initial spot. Gillispie also promised former junior college coach Matt Eisele a job, according to numerous sources, but then pulled the offer. Renard Phillips spent three months out in Lubbock having virtually no idea of his job responsibilities, sources told CBSSports.com, before he left to take a high school job back in the D.C. area. Former assistant coach Jeff Kidder departed this past summer for a high school job in Kentucky. Multiple other coaches have told CBSSports.com that they have been led to believe they had a job offer from Gillispie, only to be led on through the process without a formal offer.

Former players have come out and told CBSSports.com that Gillispie broke NCAA rules by not adhering to practice limits. He once went eight hours in a single day. NCAA rules stipulate you can't practice more than four hours per day or 20 hours per week.

"We practiced a lot more than 20 hours a week," former guard Kevin Wagner told CBSSports.com.

"We used to go more than four hours all the time," added Jaron Nash, who transferred to North Dakota after last season. "I remember that day when we went almost all day. We didn't leave until 9 p.m. or so. It was pretty bad. A lot of guys were really hurt after it. One guy had a stress fracture in both legs."

One source identified that player as African native Kader Tapsoba, who did not play last season while dealing with multiple stress fractures.

"He was literally crying at practice," said the source, who was with the program last season. "He couldn't even run and Gillispie had him running up and down the steps at the arena. I remember the doctor getting the X-rays back and coming to practice and telling Gillispie it was really bad. He'd just ice him up and tell him to go practice."

"He shouldn't have been practicing," he added. "But he bullied everyone, including the trainer. He'd make the trainer make kids come back. Bodies were dropping like flies. One day I walked in and the whole team was in the training room. All the players and even the managers. He'd make them practice."

The team's star player, Jordan Tolbert, cut his hand on the rim one day last year in practice and suffered a four-inch gash across his fingers. The next day, according to one source, Gillispie had the trainer bandage his hand and then instructed Tolbert to dunk the ball every time he caught it.

Gillispie left two Canadian players, Ty Nurse and Dejan Kravic, in scholarship limbo this past summer. According to multiple sources, he wouldn't tell either one whether he was renewing their scholarships yet when they wanted to go home to Canada after summer school ended, he made it clear that if they left, they could not return. Both players had purchased flights home for about $1,000 and wound up having to absorb the cost in fear of not being able to return to Lubbock.

One source said that Gillispie, the night before most games, has everyone in attendance participate in layup lines at the start of practice -- including television and radio broadcasters, strength coaches and assistant coaches.

"If we fumbled the ball, slipped or shot it with the wrong hand, he'd make us run the steps of the arena," the source said. "He got a big kick out of it, but it was demeaning for us as grown men."

The current players have met with the administration and are fed up with Gillispie's antics. None will comment on the record in fear of having to deal with Gillispie in the future.

"It's been festering since last year," one source said of the current player revolt of sorts. "The players are tired of it."

Gillispie checked himself into an area hospital last Friday for what he told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal felt like a "stroke" or a "heart attack." He told the newspaper he has been dealing with stress of late and was listed in satisfactory condition over the weekend.

A university spokesman told CBSSports.com that the school is "aware and are looking into concerns within the leadership of our men's basketball program."

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: More Trouble for Billy Gillespie
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »
So, how soon before Buzz bolts for TT?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »
sounds like a nice guy

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »
That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

It sounds like Billy Gillespie will kill you.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
Overheard somewhere in the TTU Athletic Dept about 18 mos. ago:

"We hired Bobby Knight, and he wasn't nearly as mean as those IU people said he was.  How bad can Billy Gillispie be?"

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:06:10 PM »
If Buzz could work for this guy it shouldn't take much for the powers that be at MU to keep him happy.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
Billy has long been known to have a pretty bad drinking problem....certainly doesn't sound as though he's conquered that demon.  Really sad.  No way Billy remains TTU head coach.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »
From what I've read around here it sounds like Buzz is buddies with Gillispie and Buzz is also close with Goodman.  Goodman has had some harsh words for Gillispie and called him a 'bad human being', just thought that was interesting...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
From what I've read around here it sounds like Buzz is buddies with Gillispie and Buzz is also close with Goodman.  Goodman has had some harsh words for Gillispie and called him a 'bad human being', just thought that was interesting...

There is always the friend, that you have from history and that you wish the best, but in reality you know they aren't a good person and always hope you can change them.

This may well be the case with Gilliespie.  And this recent story may be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:51:58 AM »
There is always the friend, that you have from history and that you wish the best, but in reality you know they aren't a good person and always hope you can change them.

This may well be the case with Gilliespie.  And this recent story may be the straw that breaks the camels back.

It seems like it has for Texas Tech.  If you read between the lines in this latest ESPN story, Gillespie is gone.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8342154/texas-tech-athletic-director-kirby-hocutt-very-concerned-how-men-basketball-coach-billy-gillispie-running-program

Hocutt said secondary violations for excessive practice time previously were reported to the NCAA in January during Gillispie's first season with the Red Raiders.

"Those sanctions have been served,'' Hocutt said. "I issued a reprimand that there would be no tolerance for further disregard for rules and that's the process we will continue to move forward with at Texas Tech.''

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:14 AM »
Overheard somewhere in the TTU Athletic Dept about 18 mos. ago:

"We hired Bobby Knight, and he wasn't nearly as mean as those IU people said he was.  How bad can Billy Gillispie be?"

Here's what they're admitting to.

Hocutt hired Gillispie in 2011, two years after he was fired at Kentucky after just two seasons. Reports of the way Gillispie handled himself at Kentucky weren't foreign at the time. He was consistently known as a tough coach who was demanding while at Kentucky and previous stops at Texas A&M and UTEP.

"Was I worried about any player issues or practice time issues? Obviously.  ...There were concerns prior to the hire but at the same time we felt like it was going to be a good hire for Texas Tech.''

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »
I can't believe TT hired such a loose cannon on the heels of the Mike Leach situation.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »
If Buzz could work for this guy it shouldn't take much for the powers that be at MU to keep him happy.
Maybe Buzz likes an AD who is tough on him. Buzz might be happier than we think.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »
Kinda like a dominatrix, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »
hmm, now what was the safe word again?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 09:30:58 PM »
Probably negotiatin' a settlement as we type.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
Wannah Bail...Texas Tech for MU?

He was on our radar.

No comment on Buzz to TT. Just hope it doesn't happen.
SS Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »
Billy is officially history...resigns.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »
Billy is officially history...resigns.

Buzz to Texas Tech

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »
Buzz to Texas Tech

Good golly gosh on only your 49th post you have been able to compose a post of such original and subtle wit that I found myself laughing uncontrollably for hours at a time.

mueagle84

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
HE GONE!

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
Wannah Bail...Texas Tech for MU?

He was on our radar.

No comment on Buzz to TT. Just hope it doesn't happen.

Academics may be the problem for Wannah Bail according to SI.

"It's also worth noting that Wannah Bail, Gillispie's prized newcomer, left campus after one semester of summer school due to a reported academic issue."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/rob_dauster/08/23/Big-12-NCAA-summer-roundup/index.html#ixzz273s3En8u

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »
Academics may be the problem for Wannah Bail according to SI.

"It's also worth noting that Wannah Bail, Gillispie's prized newcomer, left campus after one semester of summer school due to a reported academic issue."

If TT couldn't get Bail eligible, I highly doubt Marquette will have any more luck. I'd guess he goes JUCO.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 10:06:41 AM »
LUBBOCK, Tex. (AP) — The Texas Tech men’s basketball coach, Billy Gillispie, has resigned because of health concerns, the university said Thursday, ending a disappointing one-year run at a program he had intended to turn into a powerhouse.

Stay on top of all the news, on and off the court, on The Times's college sports blog.
Go to The Quad Blog
Men

Schedule and Results
A.P. and Coaches Poll
Standings
Statistics
Women

Schedule and Results
A.P. and Coaches Poll
Standings
Statistics
The university and fans had hoped that Gillispie, 52, could orchestrate a turnaround like the ones he put together at Texas-El Paso and Texas A&M. Instead, he led the Red Raiders to an 8-23 record last season.

Gillispie did not immediately return a call for comment.

The move came less than a month after the university announced it was looking into allegations that Gillispie mistreated players last fall.

In January, the university reprimanded Gillispie and the assistant coach Brooks Jennings after a review found the team had exceeded practice-time limits.

Meanwhile, Gillispie’s health was apparently growing worse.

Twice in a 10-day span recently, 911 calls were made from Gillispie’s home. The first, on Aug. 31, led to a six-day stay in a Lubbock hospital.

On Sept. 11, Gillispie left for the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., where he said he received treatment for kidney problems and abnormal headaches.

Gillispie’s first two years as a college head coach were at UTEP in the Western Athletic Conference. He took the Miners from a 6-24 record in 2002-3 to a 24-8 mark the following season.

The conference named him coach of the year in 2004, the same year he was a finalist for the Naismith Coach of the Year award — the first of three times he made the final cut.

A version of this article appeared in print on September 21, 2012, on page B12 of the New York edition with the headline: Texas Tech’s Gillispie Steps Down.

feedback