[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194786 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1000 on: March 13, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »
OK...according to some Vikings reporter, Jennings is asking for $10-11 M per year.

No way when Jones is making about $3. 

He can ask what he wants, but there is no way he gets that unless somneone way over pays. MJS says probably 8 to 9 mil per year. Too much for the Packers to pay for him with more pressing needs elsewhere,in my opinion. If they do sign Jennings, it may mean the end for Finley in Green bay.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: March 13, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »
Agree, but he would fill a hole for a couple of years and he is stil a damn good back, over 1000 yards last year again for a crappy Rams team. I hope they do not over pay for Jennings either, I would rather see them spend the money on a safety or left tackle
  Could also use some linebackers.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
He can ask what he wants, but there is no way he gets that unless somneone way over pays. MJS says probably 8 to 9 mil per year. Too much for the Packers to pay for him with more pressing needs elsewhere,in my opinion. If they do sign Jennings, it may mean the end for Finley in Green bay.

Which wouldn't be too bad either.  I'm for letting them both go.  Finley is a dropper and Jennings is good, but somewhat injury prone and will be past his prime in 2 years.  As Sultan said, resign Jones for a lot less.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:16 AM »
Which wouldn't be too bad either.  I'm for letting them both go.  Finley is a dropper and Jennings is good, but somewhat injury prone and will be past his prime in 2 years.  As Sultan said, resign Jones for a lot less.

I think they need one or the other. Finley is a dropper, but he makes defenses account for him which opens it up for others.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1004 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »
Packers should not sign jennings for that price. It is a position of strength for them, so there is no need to overpay.

The Vikes have to consider it because it's such a position of weakness for them. I don't think Jennings is "worth it", but value is all relative to how bad you need it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: March 13, 2013, 10:15:29 AM »
Packers should not sign jennings for that price. It is a position of strength for them, so there is no need to overpay.

The Vikes have to consider it because it's such a position of weakness for them. I don't think Jennings is "worth it", but value is all relative to how bad you need it.

Jennings is in a somewhat similar position to Wes Welker. He's a good player and a valuable member of his team but he's not a game-changer, his numbers are inflated, he's very replaceable and will end up being overpaid.

New Report: GB offering Jennings $10M/season

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1006 on: March 13, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »
Who's "we" in this situation? Marquette? Indiana? Kansas? You and Hoopaloop?

Dallas Cowboys...I'm originally from Texas and worked their training camps in Thousand Oaks, California for many years as a kid.  We suck balls for the last 15 years.  Damn I hate Jerry Jones.  Grr

MB is a head case.  Over\under on him playing for 5 teams in his career?  I'll take the over.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »
Jennings is in a somewhat similar position to Wes Welker. He's a good player and a valuable member of his team but he's not a game-changer, his numbers are inflated, he's very replaceable and will end up being overpaid.

Replacable? yes, game changer? sometimes. His numbers are not inflated, they are what they are. He was putting up good numbers while the team had Driver (closer to his prime), Jones, Nelson, Finley, Cobb, etc. That to me is impressive. Still 10 mil is too much, I think they will cut finley if they have to shell out that much for Jennings.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: March 13, 2013, 10:25:30 AM »

Source?  Doubt it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1009 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »
Jennings is in a somewhat similar position to Wes Welker.

Agree to an extent.  I get the feeling someone is going to pay a lot of money for Wes Welker and they are going to end up with an above average receiver.  

My question on Jennings/GB is this... Don't really feel like Nelson is a #1 caliber guy, Cobb excels in a slot role, and Jones has promise but probably not ready for a #1 role. If they let him go, who is their #1? Are there anymore big time WRs left on the market?  They probably need to re-sign him, but $10MM a year seems to be a very high price tag.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: March 13, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
Source?  Doubt it.

"A source" told Jason Wilde.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
Replacable? yes, game changer? sometimes. His numbers are not inflated, they are what they are. He was putting up good numbers while the team had Driver (closer to his prime), Jones, Nelson, Finley, Cobb, etc. That to me is impressive. Still 10 mil is too much, I think they will cut finley if they have to shell out that much for Jennings.

Inflated may not have been the best choice of words. I just meant that he's played in a WR-friendly system with one of the best, if not THE best, QBs in the league throwing to him. Those things help a WR's stats.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »
"A source" told Jason Wilde.

pretty ambiguous.  could be 10 million for 3 years back end loaded, I guess.  Plus they need to have money available for Rodgers and Matthews and possibly a running back.  Will be extremely surprised if Jennings gets $10 mill per year from TT.  Did you personally hear it from Wilde?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:43:01 AM by ATWizJr »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: March 13, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »
Inflated may not have been the best choice of words. I just meant that he's played in a WR-friendly system with one of the best, if not THE best, QBs in the league throwing to him. Those things help a WR's stats.

True. I see that.

I would trust the report if it came from Wilde. He is pretty well respected and wouldn't spew some bs just to be first to report it. He also has had good sources in the past.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1014 on: March 13, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »
I like the Bennett signing a lot. Clear upgrade over what they had (a corpse would have been an upgrade). Bennett needed to get out of Texas, that was never a good fit for him being in Dallas.

I was surprised how much movement the Bears made. Both Bennett and Bushrod have cap friendly numbers for 2013, so Stein found a way to make it happen (assuming they don't pay for it down the road). Gives the Bears much more flexibility in the draft now. Would love to see them get Ogletree (in spite of the baggage).

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: March 13, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
Would love to see them get Ogletree (in spite of the baggage).

+1000
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
I like the Bennett signing a lot. Clear upgrade over what they had (a corpse would have been an upgrade). Bennett needed to get out of Texas, that was never a good fit for him being in Dallas.

I was surprised how much movement the Bears made. Both Bennett and Bushrod have cap friendly numbers for 2013, so Stein found a way to make it happen (assuming they don't pay for it down the road). Gives the Bears much more flexibility in the draft now. Would love to see them get Ogletree (in spite of the baggage).

Bears just cut Davis. Oddly, they could have had Bennett last year for half of what they paid Davis.

Ogletree would be a great fit for the Bears.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: March 13, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »

Both solid moves.  Cutler has to perform now.  I know the line isn't made by one signing, but now they have weapons enough to move them out of that 26th and below offensive ranking spot without excuse.
Huge draft for Emery.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: March 13, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »
Both solid moves.  Cutler has to perform now.  I know the line isn't made by one signing, but now they have weapons enough to move them out of that 26th and below offensive ranking spot without excuse.
Huge draft for Emery.

Agree 100%. This is Cutler's make or break year for both his future and that of the franchise.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: March 13, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »

Agree to an extent.  I get the feeling someone is going to pay a lot of money for Wes Welker and they are going to end up with an above average receiver.  

My question on Jennings/GB is this... Don't really feel like Nelson is a #1 caliber guy, Cobb excels in a slot role, and Jones has promise but probably not ready for a #1 role. If they let him go, who is their #1? Are there anymore big time WRs left on the market?  They probably need to re-sign him, but $10MM a year seems to be a very high price tag.

I'm not sure they really need a #1, and I'm not sure Jennings really ever was.  They have 3 solid #1.5's right now.  Honestly, I'd rather keep the 3 we have, and see what Boykin has than overpay Jennings.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: March 13, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »
I'm not sure they really need a #1, and I'm not sure Jennings really ever was.  They have 3 solid #1.5's right now.  Honestly, I'd rather keep the 3 we have, and see what Boykin has than overpay Jennings.

Yeah, I agree with this.  I am not sure the Packers have had a true #1 since the Sterling Sharpe days.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:54 PM »

Yeah, I agree with this.  I am not sure the Packers have had a true #1 since the Sterling Sharpe days.

Javon Walker, wasn't he a pretty solid #1 until the knee injury?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: March 13, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »
In 2004, Walker's best year, he had 89 catches for 1382.  And Driver had 84 for 1208.

But in looking at the stats, in 2005 and 2006, Driver was pretty much a #1 guy.  Of course those were Sherman's last year (4-12) and McCarthy's first (8-8).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: March 13, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
And beyond that, if Walker was a true #1 why did his numbers nose dive in Denver?  I know he got hurt, but he never really was that #1 guy.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »
And beyond that, if Walker was a true #1 why did his numbers nose dive in Denver?  I know he got hurt, but he never really was that #1 guy.

My memory of his prowess was off.  That's what I get for trying to remember things about the Packers.  (it also surprised me to realize his best year was 2004.) I am getting old I guess.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback