[Today at 05:58:24 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by mileskishnish72
[Today at 05:50:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by barfolomew
[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194919 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #825 on: January 15, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »
I actually don't disagree with what you're saying, I'm saying I would have done that. You're right, the percentages dictate that you should do exactly as you describe. In my own head, I immediately thought they left too much time on the clock (which turned out to be correct). My point is if they did my scenario, they have 3 chances to get the ball in the end zone, when they were at will dictating the style of that game. I won't argue that it's very much against the norm, it certainly is. There was talk by some experts that Atlanta should have let the Seahawks score anyway, which is where I was coming from in regards to my point. I realize the Falcons didn't let them score, but I still would have taken a knee.

TeamOh

• Walk-On
« Reply #826 on: January 15, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:05:36 PM by TeamOh »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #827 on: January 15, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »
I actually don't disagree with what you're saying, I'm saying I would have done that. You're right, the percentages dictate that you should do exactly as you describe. In my own head, I immediately thought they left too much time on the clock (which turned out to be correct). My point is if they did my scenario, they have 3 chances to get the ball in the end zone, when they were at will dictating the style of that game. I won't argue that it's very much against the norm, it certainly is. There was talk by some experts that Atlanta should have let the Seahawks score anyway, which is where I was coming from in regards to my point. I realize the Falcons didn't let them score, but I still would have taken a knee.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #828 on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »
Bears are down to 3 - Arians, Bevell and Trestman. I think I'd actually prefer Trestman out of that group. Anyone who can make rich Gannon an MVP is a good coach in my book.

Sad to hear Dave Toub left the team.

MUDish - any insight on emery's decision process? Or why Toub decided to leave (for a lateral move)?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #829 on: January 15, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
Bears are down to 3 - Arians, Bevell and Trestman. I think I'd actually prefer Trestman out of that group. Anyone who can make rich Gannon an MVP is a good coach in my book.

MUDish - any insight on emery's decision process? Or why Toub decided to leave (for a lateral move)?

I hope it's Trestman. Any OC that made Jerry Rice consider retiring is a positive move for the Bears, IMO.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #830 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:22 AM »
Trestman it is.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #831 on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/52391/marc-trestman-hire-outsmarting-the-rest

Boom or Bust. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. I also wonder how much Emery's job is tied to the success of the hire.

Aaron Kromer (former Saints offensive line coach/offensive coordinator/interim-interim HC) now Bears Oline coach and O coordinator

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8848801/chicago-bears-tap-marc-trestman-former-cfl-coach-year-montreal-alouettes
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:21:49 AM by jesmu84 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #832 on: January 16, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »

Toub left because he wasn't going to be HC and he wanted to move on. He worked with Reid in Philly before, so it was a natural fit for him to go there.

In the end, Emery went with the guy who (for better or worse) is most like himself. Trestman is very cerebral, perhaps to a fault. Pluses are that he has HC experience, has been successful, had success in the NFL, worked with Cutler before. Interesting hire, outise the box.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #833 on: January 16, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »
Toub left because he wasn't going to be HC and he wanted to move on. He worked with Reid in Philly before, so it was a natural fit for him to go there.

In the end, Emery went with the guy who (for better or worse) is most like himself. Trestman is very cerebral, perhaps to a fault. Pluses are that he has HC experience, has been successful, had success in the NFL, worked with Cutler before. Interesting hire, outise the box.

When did Trestman work with Cutler before?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #834 on: January 16, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
When did Trestman work with Cutler before?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8848801/chicago-bears-tap-marc-trestman-former-cfl-coach-year-montreal-alouettes

"In addition to his duties as a coach, Trestman works during the offseason to prepare college quarterbacks for the NFL draft. Trestman worked with Jay Cutler and Bears backup Jason Campbell before their respective drafts."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #835 on: January 16, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »

"In addition to his duties as a coach, Trestman works during the offseason to prepare college quarterbacks for the NFL draft. Trestman worked with Jay Cutler and Bears backup Jason Campbell before their respective drafts."

Missed that. Thank you.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #836 on: January 16, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/52391/marc-trestman-hire-outsmarting-the-rest

Boom or Bust. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. I also wonder how much Emery's job is tied to the success of the hire.

Aaron Kromer (former Saints offensive line coach/offensive coordinator/interim-interim HC) now Bears Oline coach and O coordinator

Kromer is a very good hire as well.  He should greatly improve this line, provided the Bears sign/draft some talent.  Color me excited.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #837 on: January 16, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
I'm sure the meatballs won't be excited about it, especially since he is more Lovie than Ditka in demeanor, but I think it is a bold hire.  I also think that ESPN article was a little unfair on bashing the CFL.  It is no doubt a different league with lessor players, but I think judgement has to be reserved on how this is going to impact his offense.  I mean, I don't think he will be breaking out a 1980s offense, and I'm sure Emery knows this.

Hiring an offensive coach IMO was very smart.  They need to use Cutler to his abilities and give him an offensive gameplan that is serviceable. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #838 on: January 16, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
I'm sure the meatballs won't be excited about it, especially since he is more Lovie than Ditka in demeanor, but I think it is a bold hire.  I also think that ESPN article was a little unfair on bashing the CFL.  It is no doubt a different league with lessor players, but I think judgement has to be reserved on how this is going to impact his offense.  I mean, I don't think he will be breaking out a 1980s offense, and I'm sure Emery knows this.

Hiring an offensive coach IMO was very smart.  They need to use Cutler to his abilities and give him an offensive gameplan that is serviceable. 

The meatballs always want da fire and da passion.

My biggest concern is on the defensive side. If Marinelli stays (indications are that he is), will the locker room be divided, and how will guys react to the old regime/new regime.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #839 on: January 16, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »
Looks like they hired DeCamillis away from the Cowboys too.  That is a fine replacement for Toub.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #840 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
Looks like they hired DeCamillis away from the Cowboys too.  That is a fine replacement for Toub.

I heard that as well, great hire. What's interesting is to get DeCamillis, they had to give him the assistant head coach title. Marinelli is (or was rather) assistant head coach. Trying to get more info on Marinelli's status. Could be on the out.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #841 on: January 16, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »
Looks like Oregon's Kelly is the new Eagles coach.  Must have come up with the big bucks.  

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #842 on: January 16, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
Chip Kelly new Eagles HC. Wow.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #843 on: January 16, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »
I heard that as well, great hire. What's interesting is to get DeCamillis, they had to give him the assistant head coach title. Marinelli is (or was rather) assistant head coach. Trying to get more info on Marinelli's status. Could be on the out.

That title doesn't mean much. NFL teams can block assistants from interviewing for lateral positions. If the Bears "promote" DeCamillis to Assistant Head Coach even though he's basically just the ST Coach, Dallas can't do anything to block the move.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #844 on: January 16, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »
That title doesn't mean much. NFL teams can block assistants from interviewing for lateral positions. If the Bears "promote" DeCamillis to Assistant Head Coach even though he's basically just the ST Coach, Dallas can't do anything to block the move.

Exactly, that's what I was getting at. The only way the Bears could hire him was to give him that title.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #845 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
Trestman, DeCammilis, Kromer. A hell of a (delayed) start to the Emery era. Tack on improvement of last year's draft picks, plus a few solid picks this year and I really like the direction everything is going. Granted, have to get younger on defense, but I'd say the Bears could be 3-4 years from a solid super bowl contender.

My only concern is getting the offense in gear fast enough. This is the 4th? 5th? offense/coordinator for Jay Cutler. Could have some growing pains.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:54:07 PM by jesmu84 »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #846 on: January 16, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
The meatballs always want da fire and da passion.

My biggest concern is on the defensive side. If Marinelli stays (indications are that he is), will the locker room be divided, and how will guys react to the old regime/new regime.

Certainly a concern. Without a doubt, Lovie was a players coach. Say what you will about the Lovie era, I can't recall a time when I felt the players quit on him.

The fact Trestman has similar demeanor to Lovie is a plus. Bringing in some-type of hardass coach, like a Greg Schiano, could have been extremely problematic.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #847 on: January 16, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
Expect a lot of 12 men on the field penalties.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #848 on: January 16, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »

And 3rd down punts? And illegal shift penalties?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #849 on: January 16, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »

Well played, nicely done.

feedback