[Today at 02:39:49 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 12:33:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194918 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #775 on: January 11, 2013, 06:45:47 PM »
Isn't that pretty much the strategy of every team? To acomplish #1 the Packers will have to run the ball effectively.  

No, that is not the strategy of every team. Every team doesn't have A-Rog.

Get the ball to him as much as possible, even if that means gambling a lot of defense and getting into a shootout.

Give Rogers 1 or 2 extra possessions, and they will win.

It's a bit like Loyola Marymount. You might score 120, but they will score 150.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2013, 04:50:21 PM »
Let's see both jagoff Harbaugh brothers go down today!!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #777 on: January 12, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »
Kaepernick is ridiculous. So, we're supposed to believe that the (read) option offense can't succeed in the NFL? Bullcrap. Chip Kelly could definitely successfully translate his offense to the pros.

Did Harbaugh run the read option at Stanford? I don't think he did at all under Luck. Impressive that he's able to do it now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #778 on: January 12, 2013, 10:00:29 PM »
I think the Packers really have to question if Dom Capers needs to be replaced.  This defensive performance today was pitiful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #779 on: January 12, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
I think the Packers really have to question if Dom Capers needs to be replaced.  This defensive performance today was pitiful.

He needs to go. Completely outclassed.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #780 on: January 12, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »

https://twitter.com/sportspickle/status/290310110281080832

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #781 on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:20 PM »
Let's see both jagoff Harbaugh brothers go down today!!!

I listened to an interview with Jack (he lives in Milwaukee) earlier this week.  He was confident, and rightly so, about his sons in these two games.

Got to give them credit.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #782 on: January 12, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »
The sad truth is the NFL is a steroids/HGH haven and it fuels this combative game.    It's the part of the game most fans don't think about or don't want to think about.

Packers defense has been pretty soft for awhile.   I think getting a new S&C coach could be extremely beneficial, especially in the trenches.  TT will have to go heavy on D again.   I wouldn't make Capers the scapegoat, TT and Capers will have to figure this out.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #783 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:33 PM »
I listened to an interview with Jack (he lives in Milwaukee) earlier this week.  He was confident, and rightly so, about his sons in these two games.

Got to give them credit.
A father wouldn't ever be confident in his sons? And i'm not so sure about "rightly so" when it comes to John.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #784 on: January 12, 2013, 10:55:50 PM »
The sad truth is the NFL is a steroids/HGH haven and it fuels this combative game.    It's the part of the game most fans don't think about or don't want to think about.

Packers defense has been pretty soft for awhile.   I think getting a new S&C coach could be extremely beneficial, especially in the trenches.  TT will have to go heavy on D again.   I wouldn't make Capers the scapegoat, TT and Capers will have to figure this out.

Are you saying the 49ers won only because they use (more) steroids?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #785 on: January 12, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
A father wouldn't ever be confident in his sons? And i'm not so sure about "rightly so" when it comes to John.

Well, the oddsmakers had the Ravens 10 point dogs and many were picking the Packers over the 49ers.  They both won their games...yes, a father should be confident in his sons but he was more than confident...it was like he knew the Ravens were going to win and not many were making that prediction this week.  He actually sounded more confident about that game than the 49ers game.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #786 on: January 13, 2013, 12:27:56 AM »
GO NINERS!

Though the Seahawks will be a tough out.
SS Marquette

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #787 on: January 13, 2013, 09:03:19 AM »

If capers is still the packers Def Coordinator by mid-week, I'll be shocked. There is no way he'll be back. Love Smith to the Packers?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #788 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
If capers is still the packers Def Coordinator by mid-week, I'll be shocked. There is no way he'll be back. Love Smith to the Packers?

I would think Lovie still wants a shot at a head job.

Mel Tucker to the Packers?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #789 on: January 13, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »

Amen, brother, amen.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #790 on: January 13, 2013, 09:27:13 AM »
No, that is not the strategy of every team. Every team doesn't have A-Rog.

Get the ball to him as much as possible, even if that means gambling a lot of defense and getting into a shootout.

Give Rogers 1 or 2 extra possessions, and they will win.

It's a bit like Loyola Marymount. You might score 120, but they will score 150.
Keeping the QB upright and giving your offense as many chances as possible is pretty much the strategy of every team. Tell me one team that wants to get their QB sacked and keep their defense on the field as long as possible.

You could make the Loyola comparison last year to some degree mainly because the defense was so bad. That is not how they played this year. The defense up until yesterday was much better. The offense has transformed into a short passing game and run offense because so many teams were playing them with cover 2. Look at the what defense gave up in points and yards this year compared to last, not exactly a "loyola" defense.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #791 on: January 13, 2013, 09:30:44 AM »

No way capers should be back. He has run his course, they need a fresh start. I would be surprised if the packers replace him though, it is not typical of how they operate.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #792 on: January 13, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »
Are you saying the 49ers won only because they use (more) steroids?

I was talking about improving the Packers D.    We haven't been able to run the ball and have been getting pushed around for awhile.   All aspects of a football program need to be looked at.   Improved strength in the trenches would be beneficial.

Capers saved TT when he first came in, now he's a bum.   Our defenses haven't been that great under TT, so perhaps it's more of a systemic problem, than a draft pick here or there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #793 on: January 13, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
As an impartial observer, I think you have equally as many issues on the offensive line.  Rodgers sacked 60 times this year...that's really really bad.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #794 on: January 13, 2013, 10:23:22 AM »
Keeping the QB upright and giving your offense as many chances as possible is pretty much the strategy of every team. Tell me one team that wants to get their QB sacked and keep their defense on the field as long as possible.

You could make the Loyola comparison last year to some degree mainly because the defense was so bad. That is not how they played this year. The defense up until yesterday was much better. The offense has transformed into a short passing game and run offense because so many teams were playing them with cover 2. Look at the what defense gave up in points and yards this year compared to last, not exactly a "loyola" defense.

Yes, and no.

The Vikes certainly aren't trying to get the ball to Ponder as often as possible. They are trying to control the line of scrimmage, run the clock, and shorten the game. Same for Baltimore. Flacco is a nice player, but they won/win by trying to control the line of scrimmage and having good offensive balance.

SF didn't try to win the game with Kapernick's arm, but rather with his feet. They controlled the line of scrimmage, keep the Pack off balance, mixed in throws when necessary.

With Rogers, the Packers need to do everything possible to get him throwing opportunities. He's the most accurate QB I've ever seen. Throw. Throw. Throw.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #795 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:50 AM »
Yes, and no.

The Vikes certainly aren't trying to get the ball to Ponder as often as possible. They are trying to control the line of scrimmage, run the clock, and shorten the game. Same for Baltimore. Flacco is a nice player, but they won/win by trying to control the line of scrimmage and having good offensive balance.

SF didn't try to win the game with Kapernick's arm, but rather with his feet. They controlled the line of scrimmage, keep the Pack off balance, mixed in throws when necessary.

With Rogers, the Packers need to do everything possible to get him throwing opportunities. He's the most accurate QB I've ever seen. Throw. Throw. Throw.
Right, every team has its play maker. The days of the packers running the ball 9 times a game are over. That offense is much different than week one. Give mac credit for evolving on the fly. Rogers will be the guy they live and die with no doubt, but to keep him vertical and effective they will need to run the ball and/or short check downs.

Do you think capers is back? That def game plan was pathetic, to me it was more on the prep and scheme and not execution

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #796 on: January 13, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »
As an impartial observer, I think you have equally as many issues on the offensive line.  Rodgers sacked 60 times this year...that's really really bad.

I would agree except for last night. The o line played pretty well and the defense sucked. They are playing with a undrafted free agent at right tackle and a servicable center and right tackle at best. They will have to upgrade there for sure

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #797 on: January 13, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
Was it a bad plan, or bad execution?

McCarthy seems to think the latter

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/186646451.html

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #798 on: January 13, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
Right, every team has its play maker. The days of the packers running the ball 9 times a game are over. That offense is much different than week one. Give mac credit for evolving on the fly. Rogers will be the guy they live and die with no doubt, but to keep him vertical and effective they will need to run the ball and/or short check downs.

Do you think capers is back? That def game plan was pathetic, to me it was more on the prep and scheme and not execution

Well, that's my whole point. Rogers might be the best playmaker the NFL has ever seen.

I know this goes against tried and true football cliches, but I think the Packers should just ditch the run game all together. Get the best linemen you can find, and throw the ball 65+ times per game. Run no huddle as much as possible.

I know that nobody will try this because it's super risky, but seriously, I wouldn't even waste my time running the ball if I had a QB that could throw like that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #799 on: January 13, 2013, 11:08:48 AM »
Well, that's my whole point. Rogers might be the best playmaker the NFL has ever seen.

I know this goes against tried and true football cliches, but I think the Packers should just ditch the run game all together. Get the best linemen you can find, and throw the ball 65+ times per game. Run no huddle as much as possible.

I know that nobody will try this because it's super risky, but seriously, I wouldn't even waste my time running the ball if I had a QB that could throw like that.

You'll make it a lot easier for defenses when they know what's coming 100% of the time.  No balance, pin the ears back, Rodgers would be dead by the middle of the season.

feedback