[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194781 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #750 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
http://chicago.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/so-christian-ponder-misses-saturdays-game-with-a-phantom-injury-rgiii-shouldve-come-out-in-the-2nd-quarter-with-a-sprained-knee-and-cutler-is-still-a-kitten-for-the-2011-nfc-championship-game/

where are all the tweets and media hate for ponder or rg3?

Griffin is a young, fun, affable guy and he was still out there competing despite a visible limp. That earns people's respect even though the team likely would have been better off with Cousins in the game at 100% as opposed to Griffin at maybe 65% after he first injured the knee. There was also a play that clearly showed where he got hurt. Cutler's was more of a mysterious injury that happened at some point in the game. If Cutler had gotten rolled up on a specific play and the injury was seen by the masses, it would have been very different.

As for Christian Ponder, no one cares about Christian Ponder.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #751 on: January 07, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
Looks like a partial tear of ACL and LCL for RG III.  Unless he pulls an Adrian Peterson miracle, not looking good.  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/07/robert-griffin-iii-has-partial-tears-of-acl-and-lcl-mri-suggests/?wpisrc=al_national

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:13:17 PM by nyg »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #752 on: January 08, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
The more I think about and analyze Pack/Niners, the more I like the Pack. I didn't think it at the time, but that game last week I think helped the Packers going forward. They weren't physically beaten up at all, it was almost like an exhibition game. Their offense got to stay in rhythm, got guys back, I think all of that benefits them Saturday night.

No better game this weekend. I think both AFC games are going to be blowouts. My only concern is the game coming down to a late Crosby FG attempt.

Could see a re-match of the Fail Mary game on Champ weekend.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #753 on: January 08, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
San Fran is a PED dream on defense.   I don't think we can move the ball consistently on them.   

They avg. 5.1 rushing ypc, 3rd in the league.   We give up 4.5 ypc, 26th in the league.

SF's D is 3rd against the pass.   Unfortunately, we probably need a couple turnovers.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #755 on: January 09, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
Looks like a partial tear of ACL and LCL for RG III.  Unless he pulls an Adrian Peterson miracle, not looking good.

I honestly have no idea how Mike Shannahan has his job today. Having your franchise rookie QB out there at maybe 50% is Stupid at best, while negligent is A more apt description. He could barely walk, let alone run or pass. What's worse, you basically had Kirk Cousins (on whom the Redskins spent a 4th round pick) staked to a 14-0 lead early. I understand its the playoffs, but he was completely ineffective, and they clearly put him at risk of greater injury.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #756 on: January 09, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »
Two NFL fields, same day, thirty miles apart:

http://twitpic.com/btcc4w

I didn't realize AP blew out his knee at FedEx Field.

RGIII is in a world of hurt.
Ludum habemus.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #757 on: January 10, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »
Two NFL fields, same day, thirty miles apart:

http://twitpic.com/btcc4w

I didn't realize AP blew out his knee at FedEx Field.

RGIII is in a world of hurt.

Don't the ravens play on turf? a bit unfair to compare grass and turf

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #758 on: January 10, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »
Don't the ravens play on turf? a bit unfair to compare grass and turf

Yes, but my point is the NFL needs to tighten up field standards. 
Ludum habemus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #759 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »
San Fran is a PED dream on defense.   I don't think we can move the ball consistently on them.   

They avg. 5.1 rushing ypc, 3rd in the league.   We give up 4.5 ypc, 26th in the league.

SF's D is 3rd against the pass.   Unfortunately, we probably need a couple turnovers.

"Probably?" 

The Packers' defense is entirely dependent on getting turnovers.  That is what I have been saying since you brought out the ypc stat.  The Packer's defense is based on chaos and disruption...not "stop."  (Since the ypc stat was about the same two years ago when they actually won the Super Bowl.)

The Packers have only won one game in the McCarthy era in which it didn't create a turnover - and that was this season against the Saints.

So I will say that the Packers will most assuredly *not* win without creating at least one turnover.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #760 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »
couple meaning more than one= exceeding their year avg. in takeaways.   We need to exceed our avg. takeaways against SF.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #761 on: January 10, 2013, 08:51:23 PM »
The Packers entire strategy should be 2 things:

#1 Keep Rogers upright and unhurt.

#2 Give Rogers the ball as often as possible.

If the offensive line can do #1, and if the defense can do #2 (either turnovers or quick 3&out possessions) the Packers will win the Superbowl.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #762 on: January 10, 2013, 08:58:34 PM »
Justin Smith's effectiveness could be the biggest factor.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #763 on: January 11, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
The Packers entire strategy should be 2 things:

#1 Keep Rogers upright and unhurt.

#2 Give Rogers the ball as often as possible.

If the offensive line can do #1, and if the defense can do #2 (either turnovers or quick 3&out possessions) the Packers will win the Superbowl.

Isn't that pretty much the strategy of every team? To acomplish #1 the Packers will have to run the ball effectively.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:20:28 AM by hairyworthen »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #764 on: January 11, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
Hey MUDish... Have you heard anything about Marc Trestman to the Bears? Apparently, Jimmy Johnson has been tweeting about it.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #765 on: January 11, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »
Hey MUDish... Have you heard anything about Marc Trestman to the Bears? Apparently, Jimmy Johnson has been tweeting about it.

Heard it on the radio this morning as well, supposedly it is a done deal. Maybe a good choice I don't know but certainly not one that will jazz up the fans.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:26:41 AM by hairyworthen »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #766 on: January 11, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »

Alouettes!

Sounds like Emery wants someone to work on Cutler.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #767 on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »
Listened to a bit about Tressman on Chi sports radio this morning. Could be a good hire, lots of praise about him from many, many coaches in the league.

Interesting though that Emery is still meeting with Dennison (Houston OC), Bevell (Seahawks OC) and Arians (Colts OC) this weekend.

BTW, has a GM ever met with 13(?) candidates for a HC position before? At least, it's 13 that have been publicly announced

LON

• All American
« Reply #768 on: January 11, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
Listened to a bit about Tressman on Chi sports radio this morning. Could be a good hire, lots of praise about him from many, many coaches in the league.

Interesting though that Emery is still meeting with Dennison (Houston OC), Bevell (Seahawks OC) and Arians (Colts OC) this weekend.

BTW, has a GM ever met with 13(?) candidates for a HC position before? At least, it's 13 that have been publicly announced

Arians would be hilarious - his system let Big Rape Ben get killed.  His system will probably get Luck killed (if he stays) and Cutler has already been getting killed due to Martz and that porous offensive line.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #769 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »

What concerns me most is that Phil Emery has worked for 3 NFL teams over 15 years and he doesn't have a guy at the top of his list who he wants to hire and who he knows will take the job. It's also a bit odd that the candidates are all over the board in terms of background - some OCs, some DCs, special teams guys, CFL head coaches. It makes me wonder if he even knows what he's looking for.

That said, it doesn't matter if Emery brings in 100 candidates as long as he hires the right coach.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #770 on: January 11, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »
That said, it doesn't matter if Emery brings in 100 candidates as long as he hires the right coach.
Absolutely true. I've also heard some speculation that Emery may have a guy or two at the top of his list, but he's taking this opportunity to get some free consulting on what other coaches/teams think of the Bears and how they might fix the problems. It's not a bad hypothesis, if true - get a bunch of top level NFL minds explaining how to fix problems, then hire the guy you wanted all along and institute a plan that combines all the suggestions.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #771 on: January 11, 2013, 01:20:11 PM »
Absolutely true. I've also heard some speculation that Emery may have a guy or two at the top of his list, but he's taking this opportunity to get some free consulting on what other coaches/teams think of the Bears and how they might fix the problems. It's not a bad hypothesis, if true - get a bunch of top level NFL minds explaining how to fix problems, then hire the guy you wanted all along and institute a plan that combines all the suggestions.

How to fix the Bears:
1. Trade Matt Forte for whatever you can get for him... Draft picks ideally (probably will settle for less than expected)
2. Draft focus on OL and DL... and a TE
3. Sign veteran OL and DL guys on the cheap that can be a stop gap until drafted players mature
4. Dump Devin Hester already... if he doesn't walk out the door on his own.

I know the defense is old, but it is still fairly solid.  The problem is that atrocious OL.  If you protect Cutler, he can get the ball to his WRs, and TEs

RB is a totally replaceable position outside of AP.  As long as you have a great OL, you can have a great running game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #772 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »
A good OL keeps the offense on the field longer...which allows the defense to rest.

That being said, I think the main problem with the Bears defense is that the Cover-2 is generally shredded by good offenses these days. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #773 on: January 11, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
How to fix the Bears:
1. Trade Matt Forte for whatever you can get for him... Draft picks ideally (probably will settle for less than expected)
2. Draft focus on OL and DL... and a TE
3. Sign veteran OL and DL guys on the cheap that can be a stop gap until drafted players mature
4. Dump Devin Hester already... if he doesn't walk out the door on his own.

I know the defense is old, but it is still fairly solid.  The problem is that atrocious OL.  If you protect Cutler, he can get the ball to his WRs, and TEs

RB is a totally replaceable position outside of AP.  As long as you have a great OL, you can have a great running game.

1. The very best the Bears would get for Forte would be a 2nd and 4th, but likely less. Forte did seem to be missing something this season.
2. This draft seems to be deep in OL so that's a good start. Another pass rusher is a must, especially with Peppers getting up there. Kellen Davis is awful. Cut him now. MLB is another place the Bears need to look in the draft.
3. Jonathan Scott did a respectable job last season in this role...except that there are no young players coming along behind him. I really wonder if Carimi is as bad as he looked this season or if his knee never fully recovered. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Webb? See ya!
4. Hester is likely gone. Even with all that he accomplished as a returner, it's a shame that he didn't do more. The Bears wasted 2-3 years trying to turn him into a #1 WR instead of letting him be a returner while finding creative ways to get him the ball on O (or just leaving him on D as a dime back).

The D played well this season but there were definitely times where their age showed (particularly the Seattle game).

The Bears biggest issue overall is that their window is closing. Emery needs to decide if he's going to blow it up, go young and start building through the draft or if he's going to bring in big name FAs like Jake Long, Dwayne Bowe, etc (even if he has to overpay) and try to win now. Building a perpetual fringe playoff team isn't going to get the job done.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #774 on: January 11, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
1. The very best the Bears would get for Forte would be a 2nd and 4th, but likely less. Forte did seem to be missing something this season.
2. This draft seems to be deep in OL so that's a good start. Another pass rusher is a must, especially with Peppers getting up there. Kellen Davis is awful. Cut him now. MLB is another place the Bears need to look in the draft.
3. Jonathan Scott did a respectable job last season in this role...except that there are no young players coming along behind him. I really wonder if Carimi is as bad as he looked this season or if his knee never fully recovered. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Webb? See ya!
4. Hester is likely gone. Even with all that he accomplished as a returner, it's a shame that he didn't do more. The Bears wasted 2-3 years trying to turn him into a #1 WR instead of letting him be a returner while finding creative ways to get him the ball on O (or just leaving him on D as a dime back).

The D played well this season but there were definitely times where their age showed (particularly the Seattle game).

The Bears biggest issue overall is that their window is closing. Emery needs to decide if he's going to blow it up, go young and start building through the draft or if he's going to bring in big name FAs like Jake Long, Dwayne Bowe, etc (even if he has to overpay) and try to win now. Building a perpetual fringe playoff team isn't going to get the job done.

Agree on all counts... I feel like the Bears are like the Bucks in the NBA.... never good enough to do any playoff damage, but not bad enough to get a great draft pick.  IMO stay away from big name FAs unless they can get Jake Long.

feedback