[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194783 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #525 on: December 03, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »
Very true. They allowed a 12-play, 97 yard drive and then basically went back out onto the field and allowed another 12-play drive. Any D is going to look tired when they put themselves in that situation. When a D is already aging and has been carrying the team for 13 weeks, it's going to look even more tired.

Here's what I don't get... the last few plays of the 97 yard drive (and how are you not more aggressive when the other team is on their own 3 yard line??!) clearly indicated the defense was exhausted, and at the time were playing pretty much "base" D/cover 2. when the seahawks won the toss, russell wilson had to be salivating at playing against that same exhausted team in the "prevent" D. If you're Marinelli/Lovie, how do you not try something uptempo/aggressive in the OT and try throwing coverages/blitzes that you haven't used yet? Wilson was going to the beat the D since they were so tired, why not mix it up and take a chance, rather than getting beaten slowly?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #526 on: December 03, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
Here's what I don't get... the last few plays of the 97 yard drive (and how are you not more aggressive when the other team is on their own 3 yard line??!) clearly indicated the defense was exhausted, and at the time were playing pretty much "base" D/cover 2. when the seahawks won the toss, russell wilson had to be salivating at playing against that same exhausted team in the "prevent" D. If you're Marinelli/Lovie, how do you not try something uptempo/aggressive in the OT and try throwing coverages/blitzes that you haven't used yet? Wilson was going to the beat the D since they were so tired, why not mix it up and take a chance, rather than getting beaten slowly?

To be fair to Bears coaches, I don't know if overtime is the time to starting dialing up exotic blitzes.

If a defensive player ends up out of position (which could happen in schemes you don't use often), and the Seashawks score, and everybody is left wondering why the Bears didn't play to their strength, cover 2.

Sort of like a closer in baseball. You don't want to lose the game on a change-up. (unless you are Hoffman). You want to lose going with your best pitch, even if everybody knows it's coming.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #527 on: December 03, 2012, 03:44:28 PM »

That's not how the Lovie-2 defense works. It's a bend-but-don't break defense that's main objective is to get pressure on the QB with the front 4 and avoid giving up big plays down the field. The D will allow short passes, anticipating little to no YAC. To all of a sudden start blitzing and trying different coverages would be going against the team's strengths. The problem is that it wasn't working. They were getting some pressure, but the ends were not holding contain, which allowed Wilson to scramble and that's what beat them. When a team's basic scheme isn't working, it's tough to deviate from that and just start trying other strategies. If you're going to get beat, get beat doing what you do best. Don't call a rarely-used blitz and risk a blown coverage due to the unfamiliar assignments.

Actually, the Bears did try something new late in the game by having Shea McClellin spy Wilson. The problem is that's not something he's used to doing and not something he did very well. The Bears needed to put someone in the spy position from the beginning of the game. Had McClellin (or whomever) been working on that all week in practice, it likely would have been more effective - not necessarily outcome-altering but the Bears looked completely unprepared to face a scrambling QB (much like they did against SF).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #528 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
I would like to have seen the Bears call a timeout (or both) in OT. Defense was clearly gassed. Losing Conte, Jennings, Urlacher wasn't helping either, guys were scrambling. Credit Wilson for understanding the read option was consistently there in the 4th and OT. Rather than spy Wilson, which they did, would like to have seen the DE's play contain and not give up the outside.

Offensively, Cutler/Marshall is becoming a video game. Most of the throws are becoming absurd, it's both fun and scary at the same time.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #529 on: December 04, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
I would like to have seen the Bears call a timeout (or both) in OT. Defense was clearly gassed. Losing Conte, Jennings, Urlacher wasn't helping either, guys were scrambling. Credit Wilson for understanding the read option was consistently there in the 4th and OT. Rather than spy Wilson, which they did, would like to have seen the DE's play contain and not give up the outside.

Offensively, Cutler/Marshall is becoming a video game. Most of the throws are becoming absurd, it's both fun and scary at the same time.

injury bug definitely hitting the bears bigtime... conte, jennings, urlacher, briggs, spencer, louis, rachel, jeffrey, hester, bennett, peppers. at least those are the guys i know of. not a good time to be getting injured.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #530 on: December 04, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »
The Bears defense lives off turnovers, and often those completely change the game.

The downside is that when they don't get turnovers, they can be pretty ordinary.

It's like a team that depends on homeruns to score.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #531 on: December 04, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
The Bears defense lives off turnovers, and often those completely change the game.

The downside is that when they don't get turnovers, they can be pretty ordinary.

Good analogy.

I've often said that the Bears' D is like a basketball team that heavily relies on the 3. When they're hitting, they look a lot better than they truly are and when they're off, they look a lot worse than they truly are.

If Major Wright hangs onto that late-game INT, the conversation regarding the Bears' D is completely different this week following a hard-fought 14-10 win.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #532 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »

If you look at the Packer's Super Bowl run from a couple years ago, that is exactly how they won games.  Pressure the QB...create turnover...get the ball to your offense.

My favorite stat from that post season was that there were three interceptions returned for touchdowns during the entire post-season.  All three were by the Packers.  Two were completely devastating (Williams v. Atlanta on the last play of the first half...Raji against Bears) while the other gave the Packers a nice cushion early the Super Bowl.  (Collins.)

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #533 on: December 04, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »
Now Urlacher is out for 3 weeks with a strained hamstring...lovely.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #534 on: December 04, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
Now Urlacher is out for 3 weeks with a strained hamstring...lovely.

With this news, Sunday's game may have been his last in a Bears uniform.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #535 on: December 05, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »
Starks is now out and likely on the IR as well for Green Bay

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #536 on: December 05, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
Starks is now out and likely on the IR as well for Green Bay
Packers are bringing back Ryan Grant.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #537 on: December 05, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »
Packers are bringing back Ryan Grant.

Great.  I'm sure he's gotten quicker than last year right? 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #538 on: December 05, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »

Great.  I'm sure he's gotten quicker than last year right? 

If he can pick up a blitz still, he'll help.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #539 on: December 05, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
What?! What happened to Starks? He was starting to look strong
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #540 on: December 05, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »
apparently a knee injury on Sunday

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #541 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
Probably on that 11:00 minute drive when he flipped over.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #542 on: December 09, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
We could be watching the beginning of the end of Lovie and quite possibly the Bears as we know them. I can't see them beating GB next week, they'll beat Az but then have a tough game at Detroit. A 7-1 start with a 2-6 finish and no postseason, after a 7-3 start and 1-5 finish last season, plus a new GM and it's hard to imagine Lovie being back next season (assuming the McCaskey's would pay him his $6M to go away).   

On top of that, Urlacher is an UFA and could be done. Peppers (age 32) is owed $13M next season then $14M and $16M the next 2 seasons - he could be released. Tillman (age 31) is owed $8M next season and then becomes a UFA. Briggs (age 32) has a reasonable contract and could have some trade value (3rd and late round pick at best?). The Bears really have no depth on D so it could be a re-build on that side of the ball with the team depending on the offense to win games...with a new offensive coordinator...and an awful o-line. Yikes...

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #543 on: December 09, 2012, 10:07:06 PM »
We could be watching the beginning of the end of Lovie and quite possibly the Bears as we know them. I can't see them beating GB next week, they'll beat Az but then have a tough game at Detroit. A 7-1 start with a 2-6 finish and no postseason, after a 7-3 start and 1-5 finish last season, plus a new GM and it's hard to imagine Lovie being back next season (assuming the McCaskey's would pay him his $6M to go away).   

On top of that, Urlacher is an UFA and could be done. Peppers (age 32) is owed $13M next season then $14M and $16M the next 2 seasons - he could be released. Tillman (age 31) is owed $8M next season and then becomes a UFA. Briggs (age 32) has a reasonable contract and could have some trade value (3rd and late round pick at best?). The Bears really have no depth on D so it could be a re-build on that side of the ball with the team depending on the offense to win games...with a new offensive coordinator...and an awful o-line. Yikes...

Merrit

A little over reaction on your part after a loss. I do think their window is closing but the bears will make the playoffs this year and with a good defense who knows. The packers are beat up right now and could lose in Chicago. I do agree they are an aging team that could have some issues going forward

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #544 on: December 09, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »
Merrit

A little over reaction on your part after a loss. I do think their window is closing but the bears will make the playoffs this year and with a good defense who knows. The packers are beat up right now and could lose in Chicago. I do agree they are an aging team that could have some issues going forward

After one loss? How about after 4 losses in 5 weeks, 2 of which were against mediocre teams. The Bears should make the playoffs but they also should have beat Seattle and Minnesota. They're suddenly the 6-seed and basically battling Seattle (8-5 with a win over the Bears) and Washington (7-6, winners of 4 straight with games left against Cle, Phi, Dal) for 2 spots. The playoffs are far from being the sure thing they were a few weeks ago.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #545 on: December 09, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
After one loss? How about after 4 losses in 5 weeks, 2 of which were against mediocre teams. The Bears should make the playoffs but they also should have beat Seattle and Minnesota. They're suddenly the 6-seed and basically battling Seattle (8-5 with a win over the Bears) and Washington (7-6, winners of 4 straight with games left against Cle, Phi, Dal) for 2 spots. The playoffs are far from being the sure thing they were a few weeks ago.

I despise the bears but I would be stunned if they did not make the playoffs

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #546 on: December 09, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »
They will not make the playoffs. Pack will come in next week and put perhaps the final nail in the coffin of the Lovie era. Bears have no chance next week, team is on brink of mailing it in. Pack will wrap up the North in Chicago, need help to get a bye (losses to SF and NYG hurt that cause).

Redskins are going to take the sixth seed. I'll go as far to call Skins/Broncos Super Bowl.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #547 on: December 10, 2012, 06:46:35 AM »
They will not make the playoffs. Pack will come in next week and put perhaps the final nail in the coffin of the Lovie era. Bears have no chance next week, team is on brink of mailing it in. Pack will wrap up the North in Chicago, need help to get a bye (losses to SF and NYG hurt that cause).

Redskins are going to take the sixth seed. I'll go as far to call Skins/Broncos Super Bowl.

You had me until the last sentence.  The Redskins only have a shot if RGIII stays healthy... and he has a knee sprain.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #548 on: December 10, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »

2 weeks of Doug Williams footage compliments of NFL Films. Awesome!

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #549 on: December 10, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »

Not convinced of that. By the way it is very possible that the Bears miss out on the playoffs because of the debacle in Seattle on Monday night.