[Today at 06:45:43 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by mileskishnish72
[Today at 05:50:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by barfolomew
[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194928 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #475 on: December 02, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
Kinda OT but anyone know

How long was Harlan Prez and did his predecessors have long terms as well?   Or have the Pack cycled through prez's pretty good?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #476 on: December 02, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
Genius Thompson gives a lucrative contract to the worst kicker in the league.

There was no need for that period.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #477 on: December 02, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
Genius Thompson gives a lucrative contract to the worst kicker in the league.

There was no need for that period.

This is the first time you've mentioned this...

It's getting old man.  The Packers are quite possibly the best run franchise in the NFL.  Ted Thompson is a big part of that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #478 on: December 02, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »
Ted Thompson blows.   Only good thing he's done is hire Mike McCarthy and done better than avg. in the draft.

We should be on a dynasty run but Thomspon can't get the players.  Our secondary still sucks.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #479 on: December 02, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »
Giving a big deal to Crosby and letting Jenkins walk was almost as dumb as cutting Tauscher for Allen Barbre.

An orangutan could tell that was a dumb move.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #480 on: December 02, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »
Ted Thompson blows.   Only good thing he's done is hire Mike McCarthy and done better than avg. in the draft.

We should be on a dynasty run but Thomspon can't get the players.  Our secondary still sucks.

How many GMs would have had the balls to take a quarterback in the first round when you have arguably the best quarterback in NFL history currently as your starting quarterback?  That was his first draft pick as the Packers GM.  Man, what a horrible move.  That's what set the tone for this all.  That move led to him signing Mason Crosby to a long term extension.

I can't believe Thompson has put together such a horrible receiving core.  What an embarrassment.  No talent to help the mediocre quarterback he drafted.

Being down the best pass rusher in the NFL and the best player in our secondary isn't any part of the secondary's problem, it's just that the secondary is awful.

The bolded part is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever read.  If Thompson can't get the players, then why should the Packers be in the middle of a dynasty run?!  Any team in the NFL could say that!  Man, if only the Jaguars could get the players, they SHOULD be in the middle of a dynasty run but their GM just can't get the players!  Lol.  What happens when the Packers get healthy and win their 2nd Super Bowl in 3 years, sandwiched by a 15-1 season?  As close to a modern dynasty as you're going to get.

Are you seriously this clueless?!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:53:21 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #481 on: December 02, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
How many GMs would have had the balls to take a quarterback in the first round when you have arguably the best quarterback in NFL history currently as your starting quarterback?  That was his first draft pick as the Packers GM.  Man, what a horrible move.  That's what set the tone for this all.  That move led to him signing Mason Crosby to a long term extension.

I can't believe Thompson has put together such a horrible receiving core.  What an embarrassment.  No talent to help the mediocre quarterback he drafted.

Being down the best pass rusher in the NFL and the best player in our secondary isn't any part of the secondary's problem, it's just that the secondary is awful.

The bolded part is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever read.  If Thompson can't get the players, then why should the Packers be in the middle of a dynasty run?!  Any team in the NFL could say that!  Man, if only the Jaguars could get the players, they SHOULD be in the middle of a dynasty run but their GM just can't get the players!  Lol.  What happens when the Packers get healthy and win their 2nd Super Bowl in 3 years, sandwiched by a 15-1 season?  As close to a modern dynasty as you're going to get.

Are you seriously this clueless?!

He's dropped the ball big time on defensive personnel.   Thompson's defensive moves have kept us from achieving our max potential.

I'm sure there's no move Thomspon could make that you would question.   Fact is he's ushered in terrible defense at GB lately and he's now had two years to correct it and he hasn't done it. 

He's been terrible in free agency the past five years. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #482 on: December 02, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
I was definitely wrong on Christian Ponder.

Dude is a hot mess out there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #483 on: December 02, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
  He's dropped the ball big time on defensive personnel.   Thompson's defensive moves have kept us from achieving our max potential.

I'm sure there's no move Thomspon could make that you would question.   Fact is he's ushered in terrible defense at GB lately and he's now had two years to correct it and he hasn't done it.  

He's been terrible in free agency the past five years.  

No move he could make that I would question?  Giving any kicker the contract he did is a mistake.  Crosby was very good up until this year, but you don't give a kicker that much money.  I would have liked to have kept Jenkins, but not for the money he was going to get. I trust Ted Thompson, but realize he makes mistakes, just like any other GM makes mistakes.  He just makes far less mistakes.

The defense last year was terrible.  He addressed it with a great draft this year.  Worthy looks like he's going to be a stud, and Hayward already is a stud.  Perry showed some potential but obviously you can't really tell what he has yet.  McMillan has also shown he can play some.

Ted Thompson is not one to make big time free agent pickups, and I am entirely fine with that.  How often do those work out?  It's not like the MLB where it's always happening.  Look at the Eagles.  They were supposed to have the "Dream Team" (thanks, Vince Young) because of all the high profile free agents they picked up, and look at where they are.  They're horrible.  There is a reason free agency is not the way to build an organization in the NFL.  In the MLB and NBA?  Absolutely you can.  But not in football.

The only worry I have about the Packers is the offensive line at this point.  I thought the secondary was going to be an issue going into the year, but with Hayward being as good as he is, when we get Woodson and Shields back we will be above average there.  Williams, Hayward, and Sheilds at corner and Woodson and Burnett at safety is a really strong secondary.

What tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge of football is that you can't even realize the biggest problem with our pass defense is the pass rush.  Without Matthews in there the secondary has to cover for 8 seconds.  That's not an easy thing to do, even if you're the best "shutdown" corner in the league.  When Matthews get back I am not worried about the pass defense at all.

Get healthy and figure out the offensive line and the Packers will be as dangerous as anyone come the turn of the new year.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:55:07 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #484 on: December 02, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »
By the way, the Packers are coming up on 2 years without a loss within the division.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #485 on: December 02, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »
Packer's secondary is actually pretty good.  The lack of a pass rush sans Matthews is the problem.  And it was one that Thompson actually addressed in the draft, but then Perry got hurt.

I think it is absolutely silly that people on this board continue to harp on Thompson and/or McCarthy.  Not exactly what else you want other than a Super Bowl...followed by a 15-1 season...followed by a 8-4 team that started the season 2-3 and is has been decimated by injuries.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #486 on: December 02, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
I'd like a team that hasn't gotten worse.  O line, defense.

Frustrating wasting Rodgers and McCarthy in their primes.

TT has done some good things, drafting Rodgers, Matthews, etc.   But doing things like giving Crosby 15 mil and not addressing D in free agency is inexcusable imo.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:11:36 PM by Stone Cold »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #487 on: December 02, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
Down go the Bears!!!

Russel Wilson progressing nicely as qb.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #488 on: December 02, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »
Packer's secondary is actually pretty good.  The lack of a pass rush sans Matthews is the problem.  And it was one that Thompson actually addressed in the draft, but then Perry got hurt.

I think it is absolutely silly that people on this board continue to harp on Thompson and/or McCarthy.  Not exactly what else you want other than a Super Bowl...followed by a 15-1 season...followed by a 8-4 team that started the season 2-3 and is has been decimated by injuries.

We're completely on the same page.

There are times I get frustrated with McCarthy's playcalling, but overall he is as good as they come at gameplanning and sticking to it.

As far as Thompson, giving Crosby that much money was quesetionable and drafting Justin Harrell in the first round was a very poor decision considering he hadn't played his last year in college due to injury, but other than that I cannot think of many head-scratching decisions at all.  He's as good as they come.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #489 on: December 02, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »
Down go the Bears!!!

How could Thompson not draft Russel Wilson and show Rodgers the door?  Gosh, what a terrible GM!  If he could just bring in the players we would be on the verge of a dynasty!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #490 on: December 02, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
Down go the Bears!!!

Wilson is barely average. The Bears stubbornly refused to put a spy on him and they let him kill them outside of the pocket. Throw in the dropped TD pass by Bennett and the idiotic decision to pass on a sure FG and go for it on 4th down early and the Bears definitely deserved to lose to the lesser-talented Seattle team. Inexcusable home loss.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #491 on: December 02, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
How could Thompson not draft Russel Wilson and show Rodgers the door?  Gosh, what a terrible GM!  If he could just bring in the players we would be on the verge of a dynasty!

Pretty terrible attempt.

But the passive aggressive pithy sarcasm is funny!!!!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #492 on: December 02, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
Lions found a way to lose again.

Hey good week for the pack.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #493 on: December 02, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
LOL....Detroit just blew another one.  

BTW, the Packers four losses were all against teams currently in the playoffs if the season ends today right?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #494 on: December 02, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
The Lions did not let me down.   I turned on the game for the first time with 4 minutes to go and said to my wife that they were going to have to work to lose it but that I had confidence in them.    The order in the universe is preserved.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #495 on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
LOL....Detroit just blew another one.  

BTW, the Packers four losses were all against teams currently in the playoffs if the season ends today right?

Correct - nyg, Indy, sf, sea
Same with the bears - sf, hou, sea, gb

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #496 on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
I'd like a team that hasn't gotten worse.  O line, defense.

Frustrating wasting Rodgers and McCarthy in their primes.

TT has done some good things, drafting Rodgers, Matthews, etc.   But doing things like giving Crosby 15 mil and not addressing D in free agency is inexcusable imo.

They lost one game last year. Not really any other direction to go.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #497 on: December 02, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »
Funny how that "choke, cough, awesome Bears, defense" is in first place. Strange indeed.
  Like I been sayin'.......

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #498 on: December 02, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »
  Like I been sayin'.......

We missed you last week when the Bears won (and coincidentally GB lost).

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #499 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »
We missed you last week when the Bears won (and coincidentally GB lost).

That the NFC North Division leading Packers you are referencing?