[Today at 06:45:43 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by mileskishnish72
[Today at 05:50:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by barfolomew
[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194926 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #425 on: November 23, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
If they find a way to fine Suh for the kick to the nards, then I will believe there is an agenda.    I just think it is another example of the karma of the Lions.     Like Calvin Johnson's non-touchdown against the Bears a couple of years ago.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #426 on: November 23, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
oh yeah, that too... I was mainly referring to the way the NFL tried to make it seem like people from Detroit are Kid Rock fans (which is where I draw the line in the sand)
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #427 on: November 23, 2012, 03:11:09 PM »
as a Lions fan who was at the game...  I don't think it's ever been more apparent what the NFL's agenda is

Yes.  The NFL apparently forced Detroit to hire a coach who doesn't understand the rules.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #428 on: November 25, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
SKOLol vikes

so, i make fun of the vikings and then the bears lose hester, tillman, spencer, louis, and forte. crap.

Add Briggs to the list. If any of those are serious bears could have some big problems
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:39:03 PM by jesmu84 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #429 on: November 25, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »
oh yeah, that too... I was mainly referring to the way the NFL tried to make it seem like people from Detroit are Kid Rock fans (which is where I draw the line in the sand)

I thought people from Detroit were Eminem fans.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #430 on: November 25, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »
Just like people from Minnesota are Prince fans. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
People from Milwaukee are Violent Femmes fans?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #432 on: November 25, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »
People from Milwaukee are Violent Femmes fans?

Actually, I work with quite a few people who are WAY too obsessed with The Bodeans.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #433 on: November 25, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
Don't forget the Gufs. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Well the Packers suck.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
This year adds to my belief that Thompson is a good, not great, drafter and hired a phenomenal HC. 

However he generally sucks at off-season decisions related to personnel. 

Our defense is still swiss cheese.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2012, 10:34:03 PM »
This year adds to my belief that Thompson is a good, not great, drafter and hired a phenomenal HC. 

When you take the 2 best players off of the defensive unit you will typically look pretty bad.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
Funny thing is during our SB run we plugged in guys like Zombo and won.   Might be S&C changes when Dave Redding left affecting the defense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #438 on: November 26, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »

What about the game plan last night gives you the impression that McCarthy is a phenomenal head coach?

Personally, I think the guy is a dolt.  The Packers have some of the best offensive weapons in the NFL and managed only 10 points last night.  I realize there are injuries, but that is why teams adjust their game plans.  Where was the hurry up?  Where were the 3 step drops?  Where was the play action?  McCarthy's play calling is so predictable.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #439 on: November 26, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
What about the game plan last night gives you the impression that McCarthy is a phenomenal head coach?

Personally, I think the guy is a dolt.  The Packers have some of the best offensive weapons in the NFL and managed only 10 points last night.  I realize there are injuries, but that is why teams adjust their game plans.  Where was the hurry up?  Where were the 3 step drops?  Where was the play action?  McCarthy's play calling is so predictable.

Play-action doesn't typically work if you don't ever run the ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #440 on: November 26, 2012, 08:15:41 AM »
Funny thing is during our SB run we plugged in guys like Zombo and won.   Might be S&C changes when Dave Redding left affecting the defense.

I think one of the most overrated stories of that Super Bowl run was the "overcoming injuries" line.  The most important cogs of that defense were not hurt...Woodson, Matthews, Raji, Tramon Williams, Nick Collins...not one missed a game during that year.

So yeah, they plugged in Zombo...but they plugged him in *opposite* Matthews...not *for* Matthews.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #441 on: November 26, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »
Play-action doesn't typically work if you don't ever run the ball.

26 rushes for 116 yards... 4.5/carry

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #442 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:08 AM »

Personally, I think the guy is a dolt.  The Packers have some of the best offensive weapons in the NFL and managed only 10 points last night.  I realize there are injuries, but that is why teams adjust their game plans.  Where was the hurry up?  Where were the 3 step drops?  Where was the play action?  McCarthy's play calling is so predictable.

Yes.  He is clearly a "dolt."  He only coordinated the offense last year that "Football Outsiders" called the second best offense in NFL history, lead by a quarterback with a record quarterback rating.  I'm sure McCarthy had nothing to do with that though.

And I'm sure that losing its starting RB, top WR and the starting RT had nothing to do with this year's struggles....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2012, 08:49:05 AM »
26 rushes for 116 yards... 4.5/carry

In the final possession of the game, GB ran 7 times for 34 yards. Take away those garbage runs and 3 Rodgers scrambles for 22 yards and all of a sudden it's down to 16 runs for 60 yards.

Granted, it was a blow out but 16 rushing attempts in the game's first 55 minutes isn't exactly going to get a D to bite on play-action.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »
The Packers don't suck by any means, but last night exposed everything that is wrong with them right now.

Defensively, outside of Matthews and to a lesser extent Woodson, they have no playmakers, no one you need to game plan against. Matthews allows Capers to do stunts, blitz from the opposite side of Matthews, bring a safety up. Without him, overall it's at best an avergage unit.

On offense, against a team that can get after the passer like the Giants, the injury/talent gap on the offensive line has caught up to Green Bay. As the season progresses, the lack of running game is killing them. No threat for a screen, play action, things the Packers offense is typically really good at. Last night was the first time I could recall seeing Rodgers body language say "screw this".  What further hurts the Pack is that going max protect goes against their offensive plan. I trust McCarthy will figure a few things out.

If both the Bears and Pack take care of business this coming week (I think both will), it just about wraps up playoff spots for both.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #445 on: November 26, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »

Yes.  He is clearly a "dolt."  He only coordinated the offense last year that "Football Outsiders" called the second best offense in NFL history, lead by a quarterback with a record quarterback rating.  I'm sure McCarthy had nothing to do with that though.

And I'm sure that losing its starting RB, top WR and the starting RT had nothing to do with this year's struggles....

McCarthey is a damn good coach in more ways than just play calling.  This team will rebound and they will fix the problems to the extent they can. He is a master at knowing the psyche of his team and adjusting accordingly.

Having said that, last night was not his best game plan and play calling.  For me the turning point was when he opted to kick a 55 yard field goal instead of punting or going for it on fourth down.  Yes, I realize that there was plenty of game left, but if they get points there, they are playing with a lead and it may end up a different type of game.  At the very least punt and make the giants go the length of the field to score.

A game like this is what the NFL is about.  Good teams will get their butts kicked occasionally; (see Houston v G.B, Chicago v S.F. or Giants v S.F)    You can’t get too high or too low from week to week. The Packers are still in a good place and can control their own destiny for a division title.  They will be getting some key injured players back for the stretch run.  The fact that they are 7-4 without their two best defensive players, starting running back, best receiver and starting right tackle is remarkable. Take away the debacle in Seattle and this team is still near the top in the NFC.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #446 on: November 26, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »
The fact that they are 7-4 without their two best defensive players, starting running back, best receiver and starting right tackle is remarkable.

Here's my question...  Is Jennings their best receiver? I know historically and statistically speaking yes, but what does he bring to the table that the current guys don't?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #447 on: November 26, 2012, 09:23:57 AM »

I guess Joe Philbin (Who is coaching the Dolphins to a decent season) had nothing to do with last year.  Come on. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #448 on: November 26, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Here's my question...  Is Jennings their best receiver? I know historically and statistically speaking yes, but what does he bring to the table that the current guys don't?

Jennings is by far their best receiver. Hard to judge this year because he hasn't played, but look at the stats from previous years. Plus stats don't tell the whole story. Jennings draws double teams which frees up other receivers. Cobb has come on and is dynamic in a lot of ways, but he is still not the route runner Jennings is.

What jennings brings to the table is he is better at getting open especially in the middle. Jordy and Jones are more deep threat go up and get the ball types where jennings is a very good route runner and speedster. Part of the problem last night (besides not being able to control the pass rush) was that no one was open quickly or open at all. Jennings will also instantly draw a double team, freeing up the other receivers.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #449 on: November 26, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
This isn't anti Jennings, I actually think he's a very good receiver. But the Pack is going to let him walk at the end of the year, no questions asked.

A lot has been made of the Bears schedule on this board. I saw the comment that it's remarkable the Packer are 7-4 missing all those guys. Let's look at the combined record of their opponents from their last 4 victories.

14-29-1

I like this Pack team, I still think they are a playoff team. But this whole schedule argument against the Bears has been a joke to no end.

feedback