[Today at 09:48:00 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by NCMUFan
[Today at 09:02:10 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194944 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2012, 09:40:05 AM »
+54

I actually said to my wife, "He definitely runs like a guy who's played linebacker in the NFL for 13 years."

(She looked up from her People Magazine and replied, "Who does that?")

No but Hasselbeck tried to leg-whip him.

And here it is...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »

No but Hasselbeck tried to leg-whip him.

So Hasselback had a leg-whip and a horsecollar tackle.  Impressive.

How long do you think it will be before Peanut misses on a strip attempt and gets flagged for punching?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #302 on: November 05, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
Really?  Who have they played?  Next 4 weeks will tell the tale.

They've played the Colts, Packers, Rams, Cowboys, Jags, Lions, Panthers, Titans. In April, the NFL determined these opponents would appear on their schedule during these weeks. The Bears have obliged and played those opponents at the time/date dictated by the National Football League. For quicker reference, you can google "Chicago Bears Schedule" or go to nfl.com or chicagobears.com for a list of their opponents.

The "who have they played?" argument is weak. Check out the Falcons schedule if you want to go that route.

Fact is, they are playing at a ridiculous level right now. 6th in yards against, 2nd in points against, 3rd in sacks, 1st in INT's, 1st in FF's. They're on pace to obliterate the Defensive Returns for TD record. Only team in NFL history to have 2 players score defensive TD's in back to back weeks. Only team in NFL history in one qtr to have a passing TD, rushing TD, defensive TD, and special teams TD.

Finally, what offense is scary that they play over the next 4 weeks? Over the next quarter of the season, the Bears have 3 games at home, 1 on the road. They play the (not ready for prime time) Texans at home, go to SF, then get the Vikings and Seahawks both at home. I'm not foolish enough to say the Bears will go 4-0 in that stretch, but not exactly playing the 09 Pats offense coming up anytime soon.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #303 on: November 05, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
This Bears fan is glad to see Bart Starr is still well enough to visit Wisconsin. Although, i believe Urlacher could outrun him today.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
And here it is...

I think that video has been sped up a little compared to what I saw on TV.

On another note, "Peanut" Tillman might miss the game on Sunday night due to his wife might be going into labor on Sunday.  Her due date is on Monday.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:01:23 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #305 on: November 12, 2012, 06:59:35 AM »
Really?  Who have they played?  Next 4 weeks will tell the tale.
Like I said....

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #306 on: November 12, 2012, 07:17:20 AM »
Thanks Nostradamus. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #307 on: November 12, 2012, 07:39:35 AM »
Like I said....

Really? You're going to put that much stock in a game played in wind and rain storm with the Bears' back-up QB playing the 2nd half?

Granted, the Bears' offense was pretty pathetic and I have no idea why Campbell kept throwing checkdowns late in the game but they actually outgained the Texans in the game. The difference was the TOs and it's likely that the Bears' 2 fumbles and one of Jennings' INTs doesn't happen without a slick ball/field.

If the game was played at noon (when it was 55 and sunny), it would have been entirely different. Doesn't mean that the Bears would have won but it would have given a better idea of how these two teams truly match-up.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #308 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »
Really? You're going to put that much stock in a game played in wind and rain storm with the Bears' back-up QB playing the 2nd half?

Granted, the Bears' offense was pretty pathetic and I have no idea why Campbell kept throwing checkdowns late in the game but they actually outgained the Texans in the game. The difference was the TOs and it's likely that the Bears' 2 fumbles and one of Jennings' INTs doesn't happen without a slick ball/field.

If the game was played at noon (when it was 55 and sunny), it would have been entirely different. Doesn't mean that the Bears would have won but it would have given a better idea of how these two teams truly match-up.

Wait, The texans were playing in a dome while the bears were playing in bad weather. How does that work.

If it was bad weather you would think the bears would have the advantage.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:54:25 AM by hairyworthen »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »
Wait, The texans were playing in a dome while the bears were playing in bad weather. How does that work.

If it was bad weather you would think the bears would have the advantage.

When did I say anything even remotely close to that? Both teams played poorly in an ugly, bad weather game.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
When did I say anything even remotely close to that? Both teams played poorly in an ugly, bad weather game.

You were responding to someone challenging how good the bears are based on their schedule, and you implied that the bears played poorly because of the weather. All i am saying is both teams played in the same weather and the dome team played better.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #311 on: November 12, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
You were responding to someone challenging how good the bears are based on their schedule, and you implied that the bears played poorly because of the weather. All i am saying is both teams played in the same weather and the dome team played better.

What does being a dome team have to do with anything? It's not like the Bears played their first 8 games in a rainstorm while the Texans always played indoors. The Texans played poorly because of the weather too.

The fact of the matter is that you can't take a whole lot away from this game, for either team, because neither one of them was playing the way they're built to play.  In ideal conditions, maybe the Texans win by 30. Who knows?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
What does being a dome team have to do with anything? It's not like the Bears played their first 8 games in a rainstorm while the Texans always played indoors. The Texans played poorly because of the weather too.

The fact of the matter is that you can't take a whole lot away from this game, for either team, because neither one of them was playing the way they're built to play.  In ideal conditions, maybe the Texans win by 30. Who knows?

Can't you just admit that they aren't as great as you thought they were?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2012, 08:24:13 AM »

Ok I understand your point, except I think you can take a whole lot out of the game. Only myopic fans pick and choose the games you want to judge your team by. It was a game on the schedule both teams played in the same conditons and the bears lost.

By the way, the bears outgained the texans by 34 yards, hardly a huge disparity. I have heard how great the bears are because they can create turnovers, yet when the other team does it to the bears it is because of the weather so some how that doesen't count.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »

Bull. the Bears are built to play outdoors in cold, unforgiving weather.  The Texans are built to play on a fast dry track, preferably indoors.  You can take plenty away from the result.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #315 on: November 12, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
Can't you just admit that they aren't as great as you thought they were?

When did I say that I thought the Bears were great?

Ok I understand your point, except I think you can take a whole lot out of the game. Only myopic fans pick and choose the games you want to judge your team by. It was a game on the schedule both teams played in the same conditons and the bears lost.

By the way, the bears outgained the texans by 34 yards, hardly a huge disparity. I have heard how great the bears are because they can create turnovers, yet when the other team does it to the bears it is because of the weather so some how that doesen't count.

I never said that the TOs don't count. In fact, I said that one of Tim Jennings' INTs likely was a result of the weather (the WR fell down). His other one may have been weather-related too since Schaub overshot the WR. The game also wasn't a true representation of the Texans. What is so hard to understand?

If MU played on the slippery court against tOSU and won an ugly, TO-filled game 33-30, would you say that it was a fair representation of the two teams?

Bull. the Bears are built to play outdoors in cold, unforgiving weather.  The Texans are built to play on a fast dry track, preferably indoors.  You can take plenty away from the result.

You realize that Houston plays ball-control offense and is 2nd in the NFL in rushing attempts, right? And Foster runs behind a powerful, run-blocking line?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #316 on: November 12, 2012, 08:45:26 AM »
When did I say that I thought the Bears were great?

I never said that the TOs don't count. In fact, I said that one of Tim Jennings' INTs likely was a result of the weather (the WR fell down). His other one may have been weather-related too since Schaub overshot the WR. The game also wasn't a true representation of the Texans. What is so hard to understand?

If MU played on the slippery court against tOSU and won an ugly, TO-filled game 33-30, would you say that it was a fair representation of the two teams?

You realize that Houston plays ball-control offense and is 2nd in the NFL in rushing attempts, right? And Foster runs behind a powerful, run-blocking line?

You don't have to say they are great.  The amount of excuses you make for them implies it directly.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #317 on: November 12, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »
You don't have to say they are great.  The amount of excuses you make for them implies it directly.

Saying that both teams played poorly due in large part to a sloppy field and poor playing conditions is an excuse and implies that I think the Bears are great? You are REALLY reaching there.

After the game Gary Kubiak put an emphasis on how his team found a way to win in those conditions. That's an excellent way to put it. Neither team played the way that they'd prefer to play but Houston found a way to win.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:55:04 AM by MerrittsMustache »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #318 on: November 12, 2012, 08:54:13 AM »
Like I said....

So are you saying their defense was terrible last night? When you made your original comment about who they've played, it was in response to my comment about how outstanding their defense has been.

They held the Texans, one of the top offenses in the NFL to 13 points.

Like I said...

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #319 on: November 12, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »
So are you saying their defense was terrible last night? When you made your original comment about who they've played, it was in response to my comment about how outstanding their defense has been.

Like I said...

But MerritsMustache said that was because of the poor conditions.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #320 on: November 12, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »

Like I said...

You mean a totally mediocre 17th ranked offense?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #321 on: November 12, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »

Like I said...
I'm saying that their defense is overrated as shown by what a mediocre offense, built to play on a dry, fast, indoor track did to them yesterday on the Bears field which was far from dry, fast, or indoors.  and I think that more offenses will prove the point as the Bears play tougher competition.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #322 on: November 12, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »
I'm saying that their defense is overrated as shown by what a mediocre offense, built to play on a dry, fast, indoor track did to them yesterday on the Bears field which was far from dry, fast, or indoors.  and I think that more offenses will prove the point as the Bears play tougher competition.

You do know the Texans play on grass at Reliant Stadium, right? It's one of the worst surfaces in the league.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #323 on: November 12, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
You do know the Texans play on grass at Reliant Stadium, right? It's one of the worst surfaces in the league.
they seem to like it and are able to translate their game to last night's conditions against the choke, cough, awesome Bears, defense.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #324 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »
You mean a totally mediocre 17th ranked offense?

Give me a break, you're going with yards? Come on man.

Texans 5th in NFL in PPG at 27.8.

If Packer fans can't accept that the Bears have a historically good defense, get real. What a stupid argument.

feedback