[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194796 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:38 AM »
See I really like McCarthy so I don't think it's a coaching issue.  I mean, he was brilliant during the Super Bowl run and last year.  I think they miss Philbin.  He was the voice in McCarthy's ear that would say stuff like "stop passing the ball so much." 
This is funny. When did Philbin ever say such a thing? I believe A Rod had 2nd most passing yards in NFL history with 4600+. 45 tds 6 Ints last year. Not sure why in the world you think Philbin said "stop passing the ball so much." and if he did.......he was certainly not listened to by well......anyone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
I've never really thought of him as smart.  I was not happy with the hire at the time either.

I know a lot of people blame the coach.  What is the difference between this years offense and last years machine?  Jeff Saturday.  I'm not saying its him, but that is the point.  What happened?

Saturday is the only personnel change, and I don't think he has been very good.

But Rodgers isn't nearly as sharp as he was last year.  I don't think the play calling is as good as it was previously.  Either than or teams have figured some stuff out and they just haven't adjusted yet.  And IMO the biggest stat - right now the Packers TO ratio is -1.  Last year for the entire season it was +24...and in the 2010 playoff run it was +6.

But again, I just don't know how you can't say he is smart...what evidence leads you to that conclusion?  And, while you may not have been happy with the hire, don't you think that his performance has pretty much proven you wrong?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
This is funny. When did Philbin ever say such a thing? I believe A Rod had 2nd most passing yards in NFL history with 4600+. 45 tds 6 Ints last year. Not sure why in the world you think Philbin said "stop passing the ball so much." and if he did.......he was certainly not listened to by well......anyone.

I meant it as an example.  But I have no knowledge of what exactly he did.  Just an opinion.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
I meant it as an example.  But I have no knowledge of what exactly he did.  Just an opinion.
Yeah---of the things Philbin may have said without anyone's knowledge--I'd bet the house "stop passing the ball" were NEVER uttered.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2012, 09:35:02 AM »
Yeah---of the things Philbin may have said without anyone's knowledge--I'd bet the house "stop passing the ball" were NEVER uttered.

When your defense is creating turnovers and your QB is insanely accurate, passing the ball is awesome. 15-1 awesome in fact.

When your defense is average, and your QB isn't having a historic season, you probably need to find some sort of running game.

They are 2-3, but they aren't far from being 4-1.

Adjustments need to be made, but the talent is there.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »

Saturday is the only personnel change, and I don't think he has been very good.

But Rodgers isn't nearly as sharp as he was last year.  I don't think the play calling is as good as it was previously.  Either than or teams have figured some stuff out and they just haven't adjusted yet.  And IMO the biggest stat - right now the Packers TO ratio is -1.  Last year for the entire season it was +24...and in the 2010 playoff run it was +6.

But again, I just don't know how you can't say he is smart...what evidence leads you to that conclusion?  And, while you may not have been happy with the hire, don't you think that his performance has pretty much proven you wrong?

Put it this way.  He is not an elite play caller (Bellichek, Payton, etc.).  Imagine what those guys could do with this offense.  Brees is down in NO crushing records for years with pedestrian WRs (The only really good one that comes to mind is Joe Horn, and he flamed out quickly).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
Put it this way.  He is not an elite play caller (Bellichek, Payton, etc.).  Imagine what those guys could do with this offense.  Brees is down in NO crushing records for years with pedestrian WRs (The only really good one that comes to mind is Joe Horn, and he flamed out quickly).

Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston are no slouches.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »
Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston are no slouches.

I'll give you Graham, but he has only been around for 3 years (2 years of actual production).  Colston is completely average.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
I'll give you Graham, but he has only been around for 3 years (2 years of actual production).  Colston is completely average.

A guy who averaged 75 receptions, 1000+ yards and 8 TDs in 6 seasons is "completely average" in your book? Who would you consider to be an above average WR?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
A guy who averaged 75 receptions, 1000+ yards and 8 TDs in 6 seasons is "completely average" in your book? Who would you consider to be an above average WR?

For a starting WR on a pass heavy team those are totally average numbers.  He has never made the pro bowl.

32 teams in the NFL, meaning 32 #1 receivers.   Last year he was the #14 WR... and didn't even have the most yards on his team.

I'm just saying that if you put someone like Larry Fitzgerald or any other above average receiver with Drew Brees they will end up putting up disgusting numbers simply because the Saints throw it so much.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
For a starting WR on a pass heavy team those are totally average numbers.  He has never made the pro bowl.

32 teams in the NFL, meaning 32 #1 receivers.   Last year he was the #14 WR... and didn't even have the most yards on his team.

I'm just saying that if you put someone like Larry Fitzgerald or any other above average receiver with Drew Brees they will end up putting up disgusting numbers simply because the Saints throw it so much.

You didn't answer the question. Who would you consider to be an above average WR?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
Bears #2 WR Alshon Jeffery out at least a couple games with a fractured right hand. Crap. At least he doesn't need surgery.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8479835/chicago-bears-alshon-jeffery-fracture-right-hand

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »
Graham is a stud, and is on a team where he can continue to be so. And I think Colston is definitely above average, but he is by no means a stud. I'd probably put him somewhere around 25th in the league.

There's something to be said for 75 Rec, 1000 yds and 8 TDs as not that outstanding when your team has averaged 415 Cmps, 4732 yds and 34 TDs over that span. FWIW, over that span, Colston has lead the team in all three of those statistics in the same year twice (including tied for lead in TDs with Meachem one year), and has led the team in any two twice more.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »
Benson more or less done for year.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »
The Pack feasted off turnovers in SB run and last year and that is missing this year. Our bad D always made a play when needed and was big part of our success. Job is much tougher for AR this time around. In addition, it looks like everyone has figured out our passing game to some degree. Not giving up hope but things are not looking very bright currently.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2012, 07:16:35 AM »
In my opinion the defense had a nice interception late in the 4th, I thought that would be the dagger.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »
The Pack feasted off turnovers in SB run and last year and that is missing this year. Our bad D always made a play when needed and was big part of our success. Job is much tougher for AR this time around. In addition, it looks like everyone has figured out our passing game to some degree. Not giving up hope but things are not looking very bright currently.

In 2010, the packers were 3-3 and did not look impressive with a narrow victory against an average Detroit team a loss to Miami and a loss to Washington. Every season is different, maybe a little adversity now will pay off later. Agree with you on the turnovers, and the offense has got to improve soon.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:54:53 AM by hairyworthen »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »
You didn't answer the question. Who would you consider to be an above average WR?

After combing the stats, I'll give you that Colston is above average, but what makes him above average is Drew Brees.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
GB will make the playoffs and be a very scary team that no team wants to see.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
GB will make the playoffs and be a very scary team that no team wants to see.

They may make the playoffs, but I don't know how scary they'll be, not this year. They just do not have it this year, they really don't. Through 5 games they're a medicore +1 in point differential, a medicore -1 in TO Ratio, they're offensive line is terrible (23 sacks given up through 5 games, second most in the league), and they're 20th in the NFL in rushing, 17th in the NFL against the run.

The trend just is not their friend this season. If they had to go on the road to NYG, SF, or ATL in the playoffs, (as of today), they'd lose.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »
They may make the playoffs, but I don't know how scary they'll be, not this year. They just do not have it this year, they really don't. Through 5 games they're a medicore +1 in point differential, a medicore -1 in TO Ratio, they're offensive line is terrible (23 sacks given up through 5 games, second most in the league), and they're 20th in the NFL in rushing, 17th in the NFL against the run.

The trend just is not their friend this season. If they had to go on the road to NYG, SF, or ATL in the playoffs, (as of today), they'd lose.

Operative phrase being (as of today).  Things can change quickly over the course of the season. How were the 2011 giants early on, how about 2010 packers, 2008 steelers or 2007 giants.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:37:26 PM by hairyworthen »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »

It's a good thing the playoffs don't start this week then :) There is still over 2/3 of the season left. You could have said many of the same things about GB two years ago.

My money is on Rodgers and the offense to turn it around and the defense starting to force a few more tos, especially ints off the increased pressure they've been generating thus far.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
Actually, the Packers were much more impressive two years ago before injuries derailed the season.  There are much more significant weaknesses on this team.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »
I can appreciate you guys supporting your team and thinking they'll right the ship, I just don't see it. Both the statistical analysis and the eye test, they're just missing something this year. When you look at their 2 wins this year, both were kinda ugly. The first half against the Bears wasn't great by any means, the held on to beat a bad Saints team at home. I understand the Seahawk loss shouldn't have been, but they still got pounded in the first half offensively. Blowing a 21-3 lead to the worst team in football from a year ago, that just shouldn't happen.

I know there is 11 games to go, but I've got a lot of concerns about that Pack team this year. Doesn't get much easier this Sunday, and the week after going to St. Louis could be rough.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
Actually, the Packers were much more impressive two years ago before injuries derailed the season.  There are much more significant weaknesses on this team.

How so? After 5 games:

Record                 3-2
Rodgers Yards       1,233
Packers Net Yards    1,711
Opp Net Yards       1,566
Net Yards Diff/Game    29
TO Margin                  -2
Pt Margin                  30

Record               2-3
Rodgers Yards         1,307
Packers Net Yards      1,690
Opp Net Yards         1,721