[Today at 09:48:00 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by NCMUFan
[Today at 09:02:10 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194951 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
Bear Down!

Cutler looked good last night. 
Lots of Bears fans in Jerryland. 
Ludum habemus.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
Take 2 superbowl wins and call me in 5 years.

You'll feel fine.

Winning cures everything. McMahon was an a-hole, but everybody loves him because he won.

Cutler's body language, facial expressions and general demeanor are off putting. But, if/when he wins, it will be seen as competitiveness and toughness. When he loses, it will be seen as selfishness and being conceited.

You have to love sports hyperbole, especially in football.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/47246/the-jay-cutler-personality-debate-is-over

Jay certainly seems to be like another McMahon, at least to me.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/47246/the-jay-cutler-personality-debate-is-over

Jay certainly seems to be like another McMahon, at least to me.

If he wins, he's McMahon. If he loses, he's Jeff George.

Some of that is Jay's fault, some of that is the media's.

It's a weird dichotomy where Jay's right arm is going to determine how people interpret his personality.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
Interesting game coming up this week for the Pack. Really tough to tell where they are at right now. No shame in losing to the 49ers at home, beat the Bears at home in what was an ugly offensive showing, really rough first half offensively in Seattle followed by you know what, then squeaked by an 0-4 Saints team at home.

I personally think they're in for a tough game in Indy. Indy's coming off their bye, who knows if there's an emotional element to Pagano being gone, and their at home. Logically speaking, the Pack should blow out the Colts, they're far and away much more talented on both sides of the ball.

I expect the Pack to win, but it may be closer than people think. A 37-13 Pack win, and I would suggest after the first quarter of the season, the Pack have found their way and be the formidable team we know. But if they struggle to a 24-21 win (or worse lose), then there are some warning signs.

Sneaky tough 3 game swing coming up, all 3 in domes against non division opponents. Next week will be obviously tough in Houston, week after could be sneaky tough in St. Louis. I think we'll know a lot more about who this Packers team is after this week.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
^ I agree, not sure what to expect especially since Jennings is likely out for a week or more but Green Bay has been pretty tough in road games and esp. domes in the last few years

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
Interesting game coming up this week for the Pack. Really tough to tell where they are at right now. No shame in losing to the 49ers at home, beat the Bears at home in what was an ugly offensive showing, really rough first half offensively in Seattle followed by you know what, then squeaked by an 0-4 Saints team at home.

I personally think they're in for a tough game in Indy. Indy's coming off their bye, who knows if there's an emotional element to Pagano being gone, and their at home. Logically speaking, the Pack should blow out the Colts, they're far and away much more talented on both sides of the ball.

I expect the Pack to win, but it may be closer than people think. A 37-13 Pack win, and I would suggest after the first quarter of the season, the Pack have found their way and be the formidable team we know. But if they struggle to a 24-21 win (or worse lose), then there are some warning signs.

Sneaky tough 3 game swing coming up, all 3 in domes against non division opponents. Next week will be obviously tough in Houston, week after could be sneaky tough in St. Louis. I think we'll know a lot more about who this Packers team is after this week.

Blowing out Indy would mean nothing if the offense stinks it up in a tough road game the next week (see: Chicago Bears Week 1-2).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »
Just an awful loss by Pack, up 21-3 at half. Brutal, they are not a great team this year, verdict is in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
The long run notwithstanding, the lack of a running game after Benson went down was a killer.  Don't know why Starks is still inactive.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
That last TO with the play clock winding down was inexcusable. Very un-Pack like.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
Bears looking like poop so far too. Somehow Gabbert is killing the bears' D on 3rd down.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »
Total domination in second half, great job of imposing their will on an inferior opponent.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
Total domination in second half, great job of imposing their will on an inferior opponent.

Nice half by the Bears. Move that franchise to LA already.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »
Wuz goodie?

Skol Vikings!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
The more I think about this stupid Colts game, the more frustrated I get.  (Mostly because I am going to have to deal with the local Colts morons for the week.)  I have to vent so heregoes...

**Nick Perry roughing the passer call was awful.  Packers get the ball there and score and the game is 21-0 very early in the second quarter.  Not a debilitating penalty call by any stretch but incredibly annoying.

**The inability of the Packers to score on the drive that started just across midfield near the end of the second quarter was huge.

**The very first play that the Packer's run coming out of the half is a roll down bomb.  No attempt to manage a drive to grab momentum out of the gate.

**Abandonment of the running game after Benson was hurt.  Where is Starks?

**Dropped INTs.  At least three that I can think of.  (Two by Williams..one by Woodson.)

Still annoyed.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
Just looking over some stats, really surprised how middle of the road this Pack team is. They just lack the gusto they had the past few seasons. Middle of the road in most team stats, but most telling number to me is point differential, where they are at a non playoff worthy +1 through 5 games. I would be surprised (not shocked) if they're above .500 going into their bye.

Bears sit at 4-1 at the bye, next 3 appear like cupcakes (Lions at home, Panthers at home, at Titans). Then gets tough (Texans at home, at Niners, home vs Vikes). If the Bears can find a way to even go 1-2 in that strecth, should be 8-3 going into (almost) final quarter of the season.

I don't know what I think of the Vikes yet. If they hadn't beaten the Niners, I'd say look at who they've beaten (Jags, Titans, Lions), but have to respect them. Looking at their schedule, it's pretty darn easy coming up (@Was, home vs AZ, home vs TB, @ Seattle which will be tough, home vs Lions). Things get brutal after their bye, 6 game stretch with both Bears/Pack twice, @Hou, @St.L...ouch. They have to rack up as many wins before their bye, because they could go 0-6 that last stretch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
They aren't creating turnovers and shortening the field.  That IMO is the main problem.

Oh one other thing...the f*cking kicker they gave a big contract to before last year can't hit one of two 50 yard field goals...indoors.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2012, 06:20:43 AM »
They aren't creating turnovers and shortening the field.  That IMO is the main problem.

Oh one other thing...the f*cking kicker they gave a big contract to before last year can't hit one of two 50 yard field goals...indoors.

There was not a doubt in my mind that Crosby was going to miss that FG.  How badly he missed it is just embarrassing.  This team is in trouble.  It is extremely poorly coached and it shows.  I think next year the Packers will be taking offensive linemen in the first two rounds.  Hopefully there is a center available.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2012, 07:47:39 AM »
See I really like McCarthy so I don't think it's a coaching issue.  I mean, he was brilliant during the Super Bowl run and last year.  I think they miss Philbin.  He was the voice in McCarthy's ear that would say stuff like "stop passing the ball so much." 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »
The NFL is a passing league.

Howeva!, if you have a big lead, and a mediocre defense, you need to control the ball and the clock.

With this said, I still think they realistically could be 10-6. Bears are probably a 12 win team. Vikes are probably a 9-7 team.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2012, 08:15:25 AM »
See I really like McCarthy so I don't think it's a coaching issue.  I mean, he was brilliant during the Super Bowl run and last year.  I think they miss Philbin.  He was the voice in McCarthy's ear that would say stuff like "stop passing the ball so much." 

You're probably right about Philbin.  But my problem is that I think that McCarthy just isn't that smart.  Yeah, he won a Super Bowl, but about half the coaches in the NFL could win a Super Bowl with that offense.

Also, I can't wait until Jermichael Finley hits free agency and someone overpays him or he gets no money.  Total regression from his first few years.  He frightens no one anymore.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:20 AM »
Why don't you think McCarthy is smart?  And to say "well anyone could have won a Super Bowl with that offense" is a little short-sighted.  The went on that winning streak due to their play on both sides of the ball.  Things gelled for that team right after that narrow loss on the road to New England, and a lot of that was due to McCarthy.  I mean, I find it hard to fathom how a team that not too long ago went 21-1 over a 22 game span has a coaching problem.

The NFL is a fickle league.  Teams that were good just a season before have things that don't click for them and they fall off for a year or two.  Look at Tom Coughlin.  Wins a Super Bowl...two years later he's 8-8...people want him fired...and two years later wins a Super Bowl again.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:36:37 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
McCarthy isn't dumb, first reaction to a loss is to start going after the coach. Not warranted at this point.

Still not worried about this season, playoff bound.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
I've never really thought of him as smart.  I was not happy with the hire at the time either.

I know a lot of people blame the coach.  What is the difference between this years offense and last years machine?  Jeff Saturday.  I'm not saying its him, but that is the point.  What happened?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
I've never really thought of him as smart.  I was not happy with the hire at the time either.

I know a lot of people blame the coach.  What is the difference between this years offense and last years machine?  Jeff Saturday.  I'm not saying its him, but that is the point.  What happened?

Not sure what happened. I don't understand how Indy's coverage was that good in the second half. I understand why the Niners and Seattle shutdown the receivers, but Indy?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2012, 08:55:05 AM »
McCarthy isn't dumb, first reaction to a loss is to start going after the coach. Not warranted at this point.

Still not worried about this season, playoff bound.

Even with all the doom and gloom surrounding the Packers right now, they should be no worse than 5-4 when they hit their bye. The issue is that they can't afford another slip-up to an inferior team. After the bye, at NYG and at the Bears will be tough but there's no reason for them to lose any of those other games. 9-7 will likely get a team into the playoffs this season in the NFC and the Packers will probably win at least 10.

The Bears should be 7-1 before they play Houston and at SF. If they can win one of those two, they should be sitting pretty in the North.

The Vikings will go 8-8. The Lions should finish around 6-10 and Schwartz won't last the season.