[Today at 09:48:00 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by NCMUFan
[Today at 09:02:10 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 194949 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2012 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
Just curious but say the Bears win the Super Bowl with a healthy Forte and strong defense, would people think Cutler changed or was a team leader? Personally, I would say he was a product of a great team but then again he would have a ring.

If they Bears win the Super Bowl, it won't be primarily because of their defense this time.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2012, 07:56:35 AM »
If the Bears win a super bowl with Jay, there will be local/national stories about his maturation as a QB and as a person.

That's just the way it works.

There were already those stories last season when they were one of the best teams in the NFC...and even after Week 1.

The NFL is very fickle. After Week 1, the toasts of the NFL were Cutler, Flacco, Peyton and Sanchez. After Week 2, those guys are getting ripped.

In all honesty, the Packers (especially offensively) weren't a whole lot more impressive against the Bears than they were against SF. The difference is that the 49ers are better than the Bears and had a much, much better gameplan. The Packers lost against SF so they looked terrible. They beat the Bears so they're dominant.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
There were already those stories last season when they were one of the best teams in the NFC...and even after Week 1.

The NFL is very fickle. After Week 1, the toasts of the NFL were Cutler, Flacco, Peyton and Sanchez. After Week 2, those guys are getting ripped.

In all honesty, the Packers (especially offensively) weren't a whole lot more impressive against the Bears than they were against SF. The difference is that the 49ers are better than the Bears and had a much, much better gameplan. The Packers lost against SF so they looked terrible. They beat the Bears so they're dominant.

Also, Brady is washed up this week because the Patriots lost to the Cardinals in Foxboro.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2012, 08:07:28 AM »

The nfl is like that more than any other sport. Part of the reason is it is so heavily covered by the media and analysts. I have gotten to the point where I do not watch  pregame shows anymore. Never take too much or too little out any particular game.  

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2012, 08:11:09 AM »
The nfl is like that more than any other sport. Part of the reason is it is so heavily covered by the media and analysts. I have gotten to the point where I do not watch  pregame shows anymore. Never take too much or too little out any particular game.  

Also, since there are only 16 regular season games per year there is a lot less action to judge.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »
Also, since there are only 16 regular season games per year there is a lot less action to judge.

Exactly, plus there are sooo many analysts trying to make a name for themselves, so they often go over the top.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2012, 08:25:48 AM »

And there's a week between games. Unlike other sports where you come back and play the next day or 2 days later, there are typically 6 full days to breakdown what went right/wrong from the previous week. With 24-hour sports channels and sports radio, that's a lot of airtime to fill.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »

Here's another one:

If the Steelers go back to the Superbowl, there will be "Big Ben maturation stories". I have no idea if he has actually matured, but somehow winning football games sets up a narrative for him to be a better person and some sort of redemption.

If he loses a bunch of games and is out of the NFL in 2013, most will consider him a scumbag forever.

Winning games = redemption/personal comeback.

The reality is that Big Ben might always be a scumbag, or might be an awesome person. Winning/losing won't have anything to do with that... but it will be written as such.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
Ok, this one is funnier.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2012/09/a-very-jay-cutler-encounter-with-jay-cutler.html

Men's Public Restroom* Rule #1: Only engage another man in conversation if a) you know each other and b) you're doing the same thing. 

* different rules exist for the G Concourse at MSP.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
Not sure why, but I can't stop laughing at this:

http://smokinjaycutler.tumblr.com/

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
SKOL VIKINGS.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »
Hey, I was rooting for them.  I figure the Packers need the Niners to lose a couple times.  Not really all that worried about the Vikings.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
Hey, I was rooting for them.  I figure the Packers need the Niners to lose a couple times.  Not really all that worried about the Vikings.

Agreed. Except that I'd rather have the Packers get a 4 seed and play in domes/warm weather throughout the Playoffs in route to the Super Bowl. That's just how the team is made up. I think they're more comfortable on the road if it's warm than at home in the freezing cold. Can throw the ball better and out score teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
Vikes had a good game. Grandpa Sid had them losing by 3 TD's.

Randy, the complete moron, Moss, didn't even show up.

He's the idiot that went off on Tinucci's when they catered a meal to Winter Park.  He's a Waste of oxygen.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »
I knew Pack would struggle in Seattle, but this first half offensively...my god. Playcalling and Rodgers holding the ball wayyyyyy too long, brutal. 8 sacks, zero running game. No screens, only a couple slants, yuck. Their D is playing well luckily.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
silver lining......back to back solid defensive games.

After last year's end, I'll take it....get the offense rolling again soon.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2012, 07:34:49 AM »
They better figure out a way to keep Rodgers upright.

He's their best weapon, and he's only 1 big hit away from getting knocked out.

I know they want to throw it a lot, but they might have to commit to running the ball and pick their spots to pass. The O-line isn't going to hold up for 40 passes per game.

If the O-line can't protect, they are a 9-7 team.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »
At least the Pack can make the appropriate halftime adjustments. Lovie Smith is the dumbest game coach I can remember watching.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
Lions, umm, might want to, I don't know, cover kicks/punts. Just sayin.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2012, 02:34:45 PM »
3-1 bruh.  SKOL VIKINGS!  CONSENSUS #1 IN NFC NORTH AFTER WEEK 4!!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
Bear Down!

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback