Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is the new assistant coming  (Read 7490 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Is the new assistant coming
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »
from the State of Washington.  I think he is recruiting the same kid to Washington that MU is recruiting in California?  Just a hunch.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
Re: Is the new assistant coming
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:39:27 PM »
Jeff Goodman said Jerry Wainwright is likely filling Monarch's position.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
LW better put the new guy through an independent interrogation committee.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »
Seems like just sliding JW over for now makes the most sense. He's also got HC experience so would be a good fit to take over the team for the one game suspension. Long-term we'll put in a more exhaustive search, as we did for Chew, but short-term, no reason to try to rush this. Wainright knows his way around.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
The only question I have about the suspension is whether the game counts on Buzz's won/loss record?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
Seems like just sliding JW over for now makes the most sense. He's also got HC experience so would be a good fit to take over the team for the one game suspension. Long-term we'll put in a more exhaustive search, as we did for Chew, but short-term, no reason to try to rush this. Wainright knows his way around.

I know JW is a good coach and a good person and hate to say this about him - I cringe thinking about JW leading Marquette as head coach for even one game.  Just the memories of seeing him look so defeated while sitting on DePaul's bench doesn't sit right with me. 
Despite my initial reaction, I know that he's entirely capable.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
I know JW is a good coach and a good person and hate to say this about him - I cringe thinking about JW leading Marquette as head coach for even one game.  Just the memories of seeing him look so defeated while sitting on DePaul's bench doesn't sit right with me.  

Couldn't agree more.  Althought...Jerry has always had that defeated dog look.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
Will JW or whoever is "coach for a day" get Buzz's money if Buzz is docked a days pay? Maybe Another 84 can start a new thread - inquiring minds want to know!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
I know JW is a good coach and a good person and hate to say this about him - I cringe thinking about JW leading Marquette as head coach for even one game.  Just the memories of seeing him look so defeated while sitting on DePaul's bench doesn't sit right with me. 

This is how I picture JW:

And this is how I picture TC:

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »

I understand that, but just think about it in grand scheme terms. First, the team JW coaches for one game will be more talented than any team he has ever coached. Certainly none of his UNC-Wilmington nor Richmond teams had the type of talent we'll have this year, and I'm confident none of his DePaul teams were close to this. He may not quite be stepping into a Ferrari, but after years of driving anything from Yugos to Gremlins, he'll get the keys to a Trans Am.

Second, it's not like Buzz won't be the overseer. He'll make sure the team is well-prepared and has a good scheme, no matter who the opponent. JW doesn't have to gameplan it, he just has to sit on the bench for 40 minutes. And he'll have guys alongside him in Chew and Autry that also know the game and can help get him through it.

Third, it's one game. No matter what happens, it is one game. If we play Syracuse in that one game and get shelled 106-50, we'll still have 31 other games plus the Big East season to earn our NCAA bid. If one game is the difference between us making the tournament and not, then we have something to worry about, but it's a lot bigger than Jerry Wainwright.

I fully realize that right now, especially on this board, we are at Defcon 1 and the pucker factor is maxed, but when you sit back and take a breath, no matter what happens in that one game, it really can't possibly be that bad.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Okay, let's go totally conspiratorial:

Let's assume LW is really a Domer spy commissioned to destroy MU basketball so Notre Dame can continue to pad its win/loss record vs. MU.

Let's also assume all this raising the Bar and embarrassing disclosure is to mess with Buzz' "happy" and get him to leave so LW can bring in his own coach.

Finally, let's assume LW forced Buzz to hire JW and JW is pegged to be the next head coach at MU.

If these things are true (and they very likely are as I have put them in print), then it follows that LW does not intend to turn MU into St. Louis, but rather his ultimate endgame is to make MU DePaul!!!!!

This is bad.  Very bad.  If JW coaches Buzz' suspension game it will confirm my theory for sure!

... Oh yeah, I forgot.  This was all told to me by an source VERY close to the program who really knows what is going on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:58:17 PM by Ruby »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »
Will be an interesting call...Wainwright's been the head coach, and it's one GAME, not one week of prep and practices before the game so you'd think he would be the ideal coach to get us through one game.  Then again, Chew is the top assistant.  I'd lean toward Wainwright.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »
I was a head coach.......of two of my daughters' 8th grade teams.  My schedule is pretty flexible these days, and I should be able to clear my calendar, as well.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
JW couldn't recruit a lick...but he knows how to manage a game.  Chew has no experience doing that right now. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 10:00:32 AM »
I understand that, but just think about it in grand scheme terms. First, the team JW coaches for one game will be
I fully realize that right now, especially on this board, we are at Defcon 1 and the pucker factor is maxed, but when you sit back and take a breath, no matter what happens in that one game, it really can't possibly be that bad.

Completely agree with all points.  Just throwing out gut reaction on JW (possibly - no one knows) sitting on the bench as our head coach.

I am fully confident that he, or whomever else is named HC for that one game, will be just fine. 

Okay, let's go totally conspiratorial:
Finally, let's assume LW forced Buzz to hire JW and JW is pegged to be the next head coach at MU.

This!  That's why Crean was forced to bring in Buzz!  It's Marquette's MO!
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »
Odds are that when Buzz leaves 1, 2 3 , 4 etc years down the road Wardle will become the coach.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »
Where can I get some of that action?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 12:16:17 PM »
Odds are that when Buzz leaves 1, 2 3 , 4 etc years down the road Wardle will become the coach.

Why because he went to marquette?  Please no "nepotism".    Definitely hasn't earned it and shown he's anywhere near a top candidate.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »

Brian has to achieve a lot more at Green Bay to get a sniff at a position like Marquette, IMHO.  I like Brian, but outside Wisconsin and maybe Chicago, he's a basic unknown.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »
The only question I have about the suspension is whether the game counts on Buzz's won/loss record?

No.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
Brian Wardle? You did mean in teal, didn't you?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
If JW does coach the game they should have him coach it against a bottom feeder like Providence or his old school Depaul, better strategy. Hopefully LW lets them choose the game Buzz misses.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »

I've never seen a more blatant Crean imitator in my life

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »
Brian Wardle? You did mean in teal, didn't you?
No, I did not mean it to be in teal. Is he ready now to coach MU, I do not think so. However, if the adminisration is tired of Buzz they will go for someone who does not raise feathers. This fits Wardle and I think being a former MU player help gets him in the door. Also, when Crean left the high level coaches MU went for had no interest and I do not think we should just assume they will be jumping at MU this time around. My ideal coach would be Brad Stephens, but he has turned down other jobs, so why would he go to MU. Besides that he is another coach that would leave for Indiana, if the job opened up. I think MU would see Wardle as a lifer instead of another coach that might see us as a stepping stone. Based on that, I think he gets the job. At least he is a head coach. MU's last two hires were assistants.

ecc5051

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
Brad Stephens turned down 3 mil at Ill. last spring.  I wonder what MU would need to pony up?   

feedback