Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Buzz left, then  (Read 11738 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: If Buzz left, then
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
You lament Kevin O'Neill leaving...and what could have been.  Think that is really all those of us in the Buzz camp are concerned about - that we have a rising star coach once again - and he could leave..and it seems the admin isnt exactly helping to keep Buzz happy.  I'd rather not have to deal with a crap shoot hire and the unknown versus keeping a proven winner.

My point is two of Buzz's three predecessors had quite a bit of success at MU and even the other guy - despite preferring taverns to high school gyms - managed four 20-win seasons.
Hence, the wails that Marquette somehow is doomed to Seton Hall/St. Louis status if Buzz leaves doesn't exactly ring true. I want Buzz to stay. If he chooses to leave, Marquette will somehow manage to live on. All of the financial and structural advantages the program has today won't vanish with Buzz, and will be enough to attract another quality coach.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »
Why is Buzz leaving?  His assistant coach broke NCAA rules and lied about it.  The NCAA is investigating.

If the Administration did not take measures to punish, the NCAA would have and it would have been much worse.

If Buzz doesn't like it, he should tell assistants to follow the rules and not lie.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
You lament Kevin O'Neill leaving...and what could have been.  Think that is really all those of us in the Buzz camp are concerned about - that we have a rising star coach once again - and he could leave..and it seems the admin isnt exactly helping to keep Buzz happy.  I'd rather not have to deal with a crap shoot hire and the unknown versus keeping a proven winner.

I like Buzz. I hope he stays.

But, it isn't the admin.'s job to "keep Buzz happy". Simple as that.

Good working relationship? Honesty? Trust? Yes, MU and Buzz will need that to have success. But, the admin. isn't in the business of appeasing the head coach, that is clear.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »
I like Buzz. I hope he stays.

But, it isn't the admin.'s job to "keep Buzz happy". Simple as that.

Good working relationship? Honesty? Trust? Yes, MU and Buzz will need that to have success. But, the admin. isn't in the business of appeasing the head coach, that is clear.

The admin pays him $2 mil, and gives him the resources to be a Top 10 program. If he can't handle an admin who wants to follow the the rules. f him. And from my vantage point based on what he has done to date, f him.

What a whiner. He complains about UNO not supporting the program and leaves. Now he has an admin that pays him $2 mil and is committed to being a Top program through actions and words, but mandates that he and his assistants (one of whom is an underqualified poker buddy) follow the rules and recruit marginally academic students, and stop relying on JUCO's and he threatens to leave.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:55:01 PM by Knight Commission »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
What a whiner. He complains about UNO not supporting the program and leaves. Now he has an admin that pays him $2 mil and is committed to being a Top program through actions and words, but mandates that he and his assistants (one of whom is an underqualified poker buddy) follow the rules, and stop relying on JUCO's and he threatens to leave.

This is such a ridiculously dangerous post.  You can provide no evidence that he is whining.  You say that they were told to stop relying on JUCOs, but Buzz himself said that reliance on JUCOs was only temporary....and he just got another commit from one this summer.  You can also provide no evidence that he threatened to leave.

Terrible.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »

This is such a ridiculously dangerous post.  You can provide no evidence that he is whining.  You say that they were told to stop relying on JUCOs, but Buzz himself said that reliance on JUCOs was only temporary....and he just got another commit from one this summer.  You can also provide no evidence that he threatened to leave.

Terrible.

You know it when you see it. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »
The admin pays him $2 mil, and gives him the resources to be a Top 10 program. If he can't handle an admin who wants to follow the the rules. f him. And from my vantage point based on what he has done to date, f him.

What a whiner. He complains about UNO not supporting the program and leaves. Now he has an admin that pays him $2 mil and is committed to being a Top program through actions and words, but mandates that he and his assistants (one of whom is an underqualified poker buddy) follow the rules and recruit marginally academic students, and stop relying on JUCO's and he threatens to leave.

what the hell are you talking about?!?!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 09:05:22 PM »
i'm thinking you're blind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »

I don't see anything but a bunch of assumptions.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »
Agreed it is all assumption no one knows what is going on behind closed doors.  What I do know is that Buzz is an employee and if his boss establishes ground rules he needs to follow them or get a new job.

As an employee I understand what my boss will tolerate and what he won't.  Pretty simple relationship.  If Buzz thinks he's bigger than MU with 2 Sweet 16 appearances than we have all allowed the bar to be dropped significantly.  That's not exactly John Wooden dynasty stuff.  From 30,000 ft it appearS the SS Buzz isn't such a tight ship.  Not sure he practices what he preaches.  If all is true his words ring very hallow to me...and I was a Frosh when Dukier coached.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
Agreed it is all assumption no one knows what is going on behind closed doors.  What I do know is that Buzz is an employee and if his boss establishes ground rules he needs to follow them or get a new job.

As an employee I understand what my boss will tolerate and what he won't.  Pretty simple relationship.  If Buzz thinks he's bigger than MU with 2 Sweet 16 appearances than we have all allowed the bar to be dropped significantly.  That's not exactly John Wooden dynasty stuff.  From 30,000 ft it appearS the SS Buzz isn't such a tight ship.  Not sure he practices what he preaches.  If all is true his words ring very hallow to me...and I was a Frosh when Dukier coached.

Well, in Buzz's defense, it's not like everything that has occurred is exactly his fault.

He's a very good coach, but he's not without his warts. We've seen some of them now. Just means he isn't perfect.

If he continues to win, and keep MU off the front page, I think everything is cool. (at least for me).

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
So, back to the question in this thread. If Buzz does leave relatively soon (say in next 3 years), who should/can be targeted?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

🏀

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »
So, back to the question in this thread. If Buzz does leave relatively soon (say in next 3 years), who should/can be targeted?

The ghost of Rick Majerus.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »

Buzz is a "player's coach." Kids love to play for him because he gives them independence and the freedom to express themselves (as lame as that sounds) and to have fun. However, player's coaches can also get into trouble when the players take advantage of that. See the 2011 Boston Red Sox, for example.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »

You would want a coach with a top 10 recruiting class, two straight Regionals to leave???  What are you mad??????

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »
The ghost of Rick Majerus.

Lets not put dirt on him before he passes away not cool man.

I wish Rick a speedy recovery!!!

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »
"Players' coach," "freedom," "independence," can all be a ticket to a major embarassment or worse with "institutional control" lacking....... Underage drinking in a public establishment with "of age" upperclassman present? Where's the leadership of the seniors? Out, especially late in the season with playoffs AND school looming???? No directives from the coach or staff or were the warnings ignored?  Lack of leadership or simply lack of maturity? Certainly lack of "institutional control." Involvement in a fight/altercation at or near a bar by underclassman... More freedom and independence but certain lack of leadership and guidance.
Serious allegations of an alleged sexual incident involving "athletes" ( basketball players). allegations, mind you, but still not good stuff....
Some trouble has been brewing for a while and needs to be addressed immediately before anyone gets hurt....... And worse happens.
Players need to be educated on the phrases of "guilt by association," "watching your back," "responsibility for your own actions," and "don't talk to strangers!!"

Hence the suspension I'll bet......  Why would Buzz leave? Wouldn't be money for sure. If he keeps his nose clean he can wind up owning the campus and maybe the town. He might leave, only if he blows it himself by bad judgement, poor decisions and lack of "institutional control."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »
If Buzz left ...

We'd have to find something else to go totally batpoop about. And you know what? We would.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
"Players' coach," "freedom," "independence," can all be a ticket to a major embarassment or worse with "institutional control" lacking....... Underage drinking in a public establishment with "of age" upperclassman present? Where's the leadership of the seniors? Out, especially late in the season with playoffs AND school looming???? No directives from the coach or staff or were the warnings ignored?  Lack of leadership or simply lack of maturity? Certainly lack of "institutional control." Involvement in a fight/altercation at or near a bar by underclassman... More freedom and independence but certain lack of leadership and guidance.
Serious allegations of an alleged sexual incident involving "athletes" ( basketball players). allegations, mind you, but still not good stuff....
Some trouble has been brewing for a while and needs to be addressed immediately before anyone gets hurt....... And worse happens.
Players need to be educated on the phrases of "guilt by association," "watching your back," "responsibility for your own actions," and "don't talk to strangers!!"

Hence the suspension I'll bet......  Why would Buzz leave? Wouldn't be money for sure. If he keeps his nose clean he can wind up owning the campus and maybe the town. He might leave, only if he blows it himself by bad judgement, poor decisions and lack of "institutional control."

Get a clue.  Virtually all of MU's other sport athletes drink on campus and off campus many of whom are underage....as do major sport college athletes at campuses all over the country.  Guess what, 18-22 year olds get into fights on occasion - and the basketball team with probably far less frequency than the general student body.  It happened during the Crean years with both Jerel and Dominic. 

And guess what...Buzz does keep his nose clean...no reports of him out getting wasted, cursing up a storm, cheating on his wife, treating his assistants, basketball operations staff, managers etc., like complete crap...a la Kevin O'Neill, Mike Deane, Tom Crean.  A coach can only do so much with regard to the conduct of his players - by and large the MU players have been very well behaved...and keep in mind the sex assault were allegations that didn't have enough merit to warrant charges...but some here want to go by guilty until proven innocent.  MU had the same policy in place for sex assault allegations for more than a decade....this wasn't a Buzz Williams policy...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
This whole thing is disgusting to me right now. I'm just sick of it, and it's becoming very, very hard to read these boards. What is wrong with us that we are attacking ourselves like this? Mountains out of molehills? Are you freaking kidding me? We're making freaking Wormwood out of molehills. And it's not just us idiot posters online, it's Marquette as well.

Okay, fine, Monarch had to go. Not because of what he did, because let's be honest, every single high-major school is doing that and worse on a regular basis. Yes, that includes the holier-than-Jesus'-own-prick Vadgers. But when you lie about something small consistently to management, you're going to get the axe. Had to happen. But to suddenly extrapolate this to a complete implosion of the program? Buzz is gone, LW hates him and is intent on razing the program, we'll be lucky to retain/add any of these top-notch Milwaukee targets, guys were underage drinking at 720 (despite evidence that NONE of them were drinking underage), the fight has reached Bill Michaels' levels...DO YOU PEOPLE HEAR YOURSELVES?

You know what? He was right, muguru was absolutely, 1000% right. This is the Hiroshima he predicted. All the people that decried him have been proven morons, because this utter crapstorm we are having at each other is exactly, to the freaking tee, what he was afraid of. We had all the Mayo drama, all the fallout from infractions and incidents, we've seen our entire assistant staff turn over in less than six months, and now we are turning what is essentially a very small infraction into the end of the program. Hiroshima? Hell, that barely scratches the surface. This site has turned into End of Days, Fifth Element, Revelation type crap.

The season can't start soon enough, if for no other reason than to give us something worthwhile to talk about. Hiroshima? Understatement of the year. And anyone who disagreed, yeah, you've been proven wrong, because it's freaking here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
Oh...and one more thing...

Has enough time now passed since the school year to officially proclaim all the talk of Hiroshima was wrong?

NO!!! Largely because of the stuff you are posting all over the site right now. Not only is Hiroshima not wrong, YOU are the reason it's completely right.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 07:39:37 PM »
This whole thing is disgusting to me right now. I'm just sick of it, and it's becoming very, very hard to read these boards. What is wrong with us that we are attacking ourselves like this? Mountains out of molehills? Are you freaking kidding me? We're making freaking Wormwood out of molehills. And it's not just us idiot posters online, it's Marquette as well.

Okay, fine, Monarch had to go. Not because of what he did, because let's be honest, every single high-major school is doing that and worse on a regular basis. Yes, that includes the holier-than-Jesus'-own-prick Vadgers. But when you lie about something small consistently to management, you're going to get the axe. Had to happen. But to suddenly extrapolate this to a complete implosion of the program? Buzz is gone, LW hates him and is intent on razing the program, we'll be lucky to retain/add any of these top-notch Milwaukee targets, guys were underage drinking at 720 (despite evidence that NONE of them were drinking underage), the fight has reached Bill Michaels' levels...DO YOU PEOPLE HEAR YOURSELVES?

You know what? He was right, muguru was absolutely, 1000% right. This is the Hiroshima he predicted. All the people that decried him have been proven morons, because this utter crapstorm we are having at each other is exactly, to the freaking tee, what he was afraid of. We had all the Mayo drama, all the fallout from infractions and incidents, we've seen our entire assistant staff turn over in less than six months, and now we are turning what is essentially a very small infraction into the end of the program. Hiroshima? Hell, that barely scratches the surface. This site has turned into End of Days, Fifth Element, Revelation type crap.

The season can't start soon enough, if for no other reason than to give us something worthwhile to talk about. Hiroshima? Understatement of the year. And anyone who disagreed, yeah, you've been proven wrong, because it's freaking here.

Quoting the whole thing so people read it twice.

The arm-chair psychologists have ruined this board with their nonsense drama.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
Utile et Dulce

Would be awesome if you are correct. Aside from stating posters are wrong do you have info to share on the issue. Respect that you think I live on fantasy island and no problem with that. Would love to be brought back to reality...please give me hand and give factual info on your point.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »
Dear Larry:  

If Buzz leaves so to does.

1. Duane Wilson
2. Deontae Burton
3. McKay
4. Any possibility of getting Diamond Stone.

Dont be a moron Larry!!!

Absolutely Larry - Please let Buzz, his staff and players do whatever they want.  We have to win!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:52:39 PM by IrwinFletcher »

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
Utile et Dulce

Would be awesome if you are correct. Aside from stating posters are wrong do you have info to share on the issue. Respect that you think I live on fantasy island and no problem with that. Would love to be brought back to reality...please give me hand and give factual info on your point.

Clearly I don't have any information. If I did, I'd confirm or beat down these ruminations once and for all.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong. I'm saying no one here knows, yet a good number are yammering on with their opinion, based on tiny bits of incomplete information, as if it's an accepted truth.

It's incredibly easy to take bits and pieces of information and twist it to fit just about any narrative you'd like. And I get it: it's fun to consider the what ifs. I'm just tired of reading posts, thinking something big happened, only to find its the same tired story from the same posters repeated again and again.

But, to your point, I've become as bad as the folks I'm railing against. Probably time to take a break from the 'scoop  :)
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

feedback