collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Now, in a moment of bi-partisanship  (Read 3756 times)

tower912

• All American
Now, in a moment of bi-partisanship
« on: July 04, 2007, 05:20:09 PM »
Cal Thomas and Paul Greenberg, two columnists I don't generally agree with but always read to challenge my own opinions, wrote splendid articles for the 4th of July.   I am not going to bother with the links, but instead am going to comine and paraphrase them.   America in an ongoing process.    People on the left or right are not more patriotic than one another.   Both love our country and want to improve our imperfect union.   We disagree about our vision of what our more perfect union would be.   But the fact that we disagree and engage in vigorous debate is something to be celebrated, rejoiced, embraced, enjoyed.    This is the beauty of our imperfect union.   
       This is something our forefathers, the creators of our representative democracy, would recognize as a sign that what they did 220+ years ago was a success, that they had not failed.   They would hear echoes of the same debates in which they engaged in the arguments we have here, elsewhere, over beers, with our friends.   
So, thank you, friends, for sharing with me in the most wonderful of the freedoms our forefathers set up for us.   Let us always protect the freedom of our brother to be absolutely wrong, or, to his way of thinking, for us to be complete idiots.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Now, in a moment of bi-partisanship
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:33:05 PM »
We went to a friends house last night where fireworks are legal...the city next to ours.  They had about 25 people over.  I met three young people going into the military.  The first was a very attractive young woman wearing a Marines t-shirt.  She reports this coming Monday.  Spoke with her about 10 minutes...what a wonderful young woman.  Would like to get into military law.

The two young men were both going Army in early August.  Good guys...in fact we did the ceremonial hair cuts in the garage last night for them which was a hoot for all.  Their uncle did the sheering while we cheered on...good sports.  The mother of one was there and she's obviously scared but supportive as all get out.

It was a great night, good food, great beer, better friends and the chance to spend some time with these three young people going to serve their country.  We enjoyed the evening very much.

feedback