Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Henry Ellenson  (Read 25991 times)

The Equalizer

• All American
Re: Henry Ellenson
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 08:46:59 AM »
Yeah, that video is from Bloomington Jefferson HS (suburb of MPLS, less than 15 miles from Williams Arena);  lots of AAU events there (activity center w~6 gyms, for certified events coaches are up on the running track above).  Rice Lake, however, isn't that easy of a drive from Mpls... 100+ miles & 2 hours to get there.

Dimes - what more can you say about Ellenson MU experience? More of a coaching change issue than anything else or diff take?

He was an end-of-the-bench role player at MU who saw little playing time.  Not a big surprise he transferred.  And its not exactly as if he screwed us by leaving.

Nonethless, when he transferred to Wisconsin and came back to Milwaukee for the MU game, our fans treated him pretty harsly--booing and catcalls and such.

It would be as if today's fans held a grudge against Erik Williams and booed him if he comes back to play against us.  Its not as if he screwed us by leaving.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »
He was an end-of-the-bench role player at MU who saw little playing time.  Not a big surprise he transferred.  And its not exactly as if he screwed us by leaving.

Nonethless, when he transferred to Wisconsin and came back to Milwaukee for the MU game, our fans treated him pretty harsly--booing and catcalls and such.

It would be as if today's fans held a grudge against Erik Williams and booed him if he comes back to play against us.  Its not as if he screwed us by leaving.

This is interesting.  I was a student back then, and I have no recollection of John Ellenson or the Badger game you reference.

Although I had to drink pretty heavily back then simply to watch the Dukiet-era Warriors...

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
John was recruited by Rick Majerus and really liked Marquette a lot. However, he got caught in the coaching change that took place. Bob Dukiet was very disliked by many of the players. Ellenson left because of Dukiet, not because of the university. Roman Mueller was another one that left because of Dukiet. When I was coaching at Ball State, Roman told me stories about Dukiet that were unreal. He was not good to his players, and he drove most of them to the edge. Dukiet singlehandedly set the program back a few decades.

As for the younger Ellenson, he seems to have a nice feel for the game from the clips, but at this point in his career (and he is young) he has very heavy legs! It will be interesting to watch his progress as a player, and an athlete. He looks like he has a nose for scoring. He should be fun to watch over the next three years.

GO MU!

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »
While dukiet was horrible... He did not set the program back a couple of decades.  4 years later we were in the tourney n 5 years later in the sweet 16.
With that said he was horrible!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
Why am I surprised that a die-hard MUer hasn't visited Dukiet's piano haunt and punched him in the face for the horrible years at MU.

He made himself persona non grata in just three years!
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
Why am I surprised that a die-hard MUer hasn't visited Dukiet's piano haunt and punched him in the face for the horrible years at MU.

Because he died in 2009.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
While dukiet was horrible... He did not set the program back a couple of decades.  4 years later we were in the tourney n 5 years later in the sweet 16.
With that said he was horrible!

When he left the program we had recruits that were our worst in decades, the program was losing national attention, and we were on a course that set us back several decades. Now, with a new coach, energy, and an aggressive recruiting staff we were able to turn the program around rather quickly. However, I stand by the fact that "he" set the program back a few decades. What O'Neil did to turn the program back in the right direction was outstanding.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »
IIRC, Ellenson was an end of the bench guy on a team that was around .500.    Didn't play in front of Powell, Nethen, Grosse, Mueller, Foley, Flory.    Seemed like a nice kid, but I don't blame anybody who left after being around Dukiet.     The rumors were so bad you just assumed they were making it up.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
DG has dunked on more than one occasion.

But not often..... and he's been a very effective offensive player anyway.  So I disagree with 77ncaachamps when he implies that Henry Ellenson can't play in the Big East.  I'm with Jay Bee, I'll be excited if he comes to MU.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
IIRC, Ellenson was an end of the bench guy on a team that was around .500.    Didn't play in front of Powell, Nethen, Grosse, Mueller, Foley, Flory.    Seemed like a nice kid, but I don't blame anybody who left after being around Dukiet.     The rumors were so bad you just assumed they were making it up.   

Dukiet was before my time, what are some of these rumors? Why was he so bad?
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
Brutal to his players, arbitrary, bi-polar, screamer..... yeah, that about covers it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
When he left the program we had recruits that were our worst in decades, the program was losing national attention, and we were on a course that set us back several decades. Now, with a new coach, energy, and an aggressive recruiting staff we were able to turn the program around rather quickly. However, I stand by the fact that "he" set the program back a few decades. What O'Neil did to turn the program back in the right direction was outstanding.

I believe Kevin O'Neill is the 2nd most important coach in MU history thus far after Al.  Where the program was when he came in, to where he left it was remarkable.  We made another mistake in the Mike Deane hire - though not as bad as Dukiet - he was close.  Crean deserves a lot of credit for rescuing us from where Deane was taking the program - though Deane didn't sabotage it as bad as Dukiet - it still wasn't good when TC took over...therefore I put Crean at #3 on the list of MU head coaches.  Buzz, if he stays 10-15 years, in my opinion, will leapfrog TC and KO, and get right up alongside Al McGuire.  Absolutely believe MU can win another national championship with Buzz at the helm, or at minimum get us to a couple of Final Fours in the next 10 years...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
You are correct Ners.  When O'Neill got to MU, it was sitting in the MCC...the current Horizon League.  If they make another poor hire after Dukiet, MU is the next Loyola.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 03:09:01 PM »
Dukiet was before my time, what are some of these rumors? Why was he so bad?

Maybe he swung from a different tee or played a lotta pocket pool or somethin'?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
KO was a game changer without a doubt.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »
Brutal to his players, arbitrary, bi-polar, screamer..... yeah, that about covers it.  

The really funny thing is when he was canned, his parting comment was something like; "Next time I'm not going to listen to what other people tell me to do, I'm gonna do it my way."  Really makes you wonder who he was listening to, and how he ever had the success he had had at St. Peter or wherever.

I'm guessing that he was really a sweetheart who was coaching like an pretty boy* because Raymonds insisted on it.

* Pretty boy is, of course, a moderator substituted word of decorum.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:41:10 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »
Just curious....what was the administration seeing/thinking that made them choose Dukiet?  This was an interesting time for MU BBall, as it was the same admin who was in place when Majerus left....a coach who had a TON of potential, as evidenced by his current resume. 

Did have one Dukiet experience.....met him when the WARRIORS were at Williams Arena.  He was most gracious, seeking out all the alum who were at the post game event.  He went out of his way to meet the younger alum that night....not hawking for donations.   :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
Remember that it was a very late search....I believe it was in the summer.  Options were limited.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
Dukiet was a hasty fall-back selection after our first choice backed out.  Happened late in the year, few options, Raymonds gambled.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
Thanks.  Makes sense.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
Dukiet was a hasty fall-back selection after our first choice backed out.  Happened late in the year, few options, Raymonds gambled.
Hank probably should have made himself an interim coach with a serious search the following spring.  The first choice, Mike Newell, was not a great choice either as he has had a middling career since at UALR, UA-Monticello and a junior college.  Majerus real left MU holding straws with his late departure.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
So, if Dukiet was the best available, due to the time of year, does the tailspin rest, in part,  on Majerus' hasty departure in August?

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Hank offered to be the interim coach. The Athletic Board rebuffed him and insisted on hiring Dukiet. Dukiet's hiring is all on the Athletic Board and Billy Packer for recommending him. Dukiet was awful in every aspect of the job.

Hank probably should have made himself an interim coach with a serious search the following spring.  The first choice, Mike Newell, was not a great choice either as he has had a middling career since at UALR, UA-Monticello and a junior college.  Majerus real left MU holding straws with his late departure.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »
As I remember it ...after Newell backed out somebody in power(not sure who) told Hank....."just offer it to Bob" since he was obviously the 2nd choice at the time.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
Hank offered to be the interim coach. The Athletic Board rebuffed him and insisted on hiring Dukiet. Dukiet's hiring is all on the Athletic Board and Billy Packer for recommending him. Dukiet was awful in every aspect of the job.

Agreed.  Meant to say "they" should have made him interim coach.  In any event, a sad juncture in MU history.    (:

feedback