'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz and Homer on TV Tonite  (Read 18015 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Buzz and Homer on TV Tonite
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »
Did Buzz actually call sending the other guys home for the summer "suspensions?"
Yep.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »
Did Buzz actually call sending the other guys home for the summer "suspensions?"

No, at least not with Acker.  That one they annouced he was leaving the team altogether.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/49105126.html

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »
No, at least not with Acker.  That one they annouced he was leaving the team altogether.

On yesterday's program, Buzz clearly stated that he suspended All, including Acker for screwing up.  Guess Buzz just said Mo was leaving.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

Gotta be honest, this disappoints me.  I so want Buzz to be the guy who is straight up, no spin, like he wants to project himself.  I so want to believe that image, that Buzz says what he means, means what he says, and we can trust that.

Clearly, Acker left the team and shouldn't be lumped in with "DJO, Jae, Fulce, Mayo" who were "suspended" .. or were they?    Or did Buzz just "send them home" because he thought they needed a break and didn't "screw up" as he suggested .. so as to further sugar coat the Mayo thing.

Unknown. 

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
Gotta be honest, this disappoints me.  I so want Buzz to be the guy who is straight up, no spin, like he wants to project himself.  I so want to believe that image, that Buzz says what he means, means what he says, and we can trust that.

Clearly, Acker left the team and shouldn't be lumped in with "DJO, Jae, Fulce, Mayo" who were "suspended" .. or were they?    Or did Buzz just "send them home" because he thought they needed a break and didn't "screw up" as he suggested .. so as to further sugar coat the Mayo thing.

Unknown. 

I don't think he was meaning to say all those situations were exactly the same.  At least that's how I interpreted it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »

Unknown. 
I think it shows that Buzz will make the players toe the line. Sending them home for the summer in theory hurts the team, beacuse they are not practicing  with them. I guess now I will assume that any player that goes home for the summer has been sent home by Buzz. I do not think Buzz should say anything about it. However, if he does then he should b e upfront as much as possible with the fans so there is not rampant speculation.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »
All I know is if Buzz wants the guys to toe the line he is either extremely strict or failing big time. We have had more suspensions last year than the previous decade combined. Not to be anti Buzz, and I am not, he might be failing and that is part of problem with him and Larry.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 09:58:54 PM »
However, if he does then he should be upfront as much as possible with the fans so there is not rampant speculation.

Agree totally.  I get slammed for saying this, but I do not see the benefit to letting the public fill in the blanks .. they (we) always come up with stories worse than the truth.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:31 PM »
Agree totally.  I get slammed for saying this, but I do not see the benefit to letting the public fill in the blanks .. they (we) always come up with stories worse than the truth.

You're right, but is the coach/administration even allowed to "come clean"? Aren't there protactions in place for seudent athletes that preclude this?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »
Does anyone have a link yet?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 08:38:43 AM »
You're right, but is the coach/administration even allowed to "come clean"? Aren't there protactions in place for seudent athletes that preclude this?

I'm not recommending a play by play of what happened.  While the public's imagination will always fill in the blanks, they need to be pointed in the least harmful direction (that's truthful.)  I think this boils down to 2 items .. a category of the infraction, and an intensity level/whether the player is dismissed.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 09:00:18 AM »
So if Mayo was suspended could he still play ball while he was in South Africa?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49:46 AM »
Sure.
I am hopoing he went to South Africa with his brother and practiced daily with him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »

Yeah, there was the equivalent of the Scion Pro-Am goin' on. Pretty sure Mayo was on either the Zombie or Watusi roster.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
I'm not recommending a play by play of what happened.  While the public's imagination will always fill in the blanks, they need to be pointed in the least harmful direction (that's truthful.)  I think this boils down to 2 items .. a category of the infraction, and an intensity level/whether the player is dismissed.

Even if he provided just that and nothing else, the fan base would take that and run with it, too. No matter what he says, it'll be parsed and analyzed and over-analyzed so he probably just says what he means and leaves it at that. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, and besides, the head coach doesn't answer to the general public anyway. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 02:04:14 PM »
All I know is if Buzz wants the guys to toe the line he is either extremely strict or failing big time. We have had more suspensions last year than the previous decade combined. Not to be anti Buzz, and I am not, he might be failing and that is part of problem with him and Larry.

Wow, you do know that you put a "kick me" sign on your back with this post, right?

i.e.;
1.  There is a problem between Buzz and LW.
2.  Buzz might be "failing big time" in controlling the team.
3.  Buzz's "failure" could be contributing to his problem with LW.

No one has been able to show that there is any kind of an ongoing problem or dispute between Buzz and LW, especially not using the words of either man.

You did say that an alternative to Buzz "failing big time" was that he was extremely strict.  Buzz may be being strict, he takes seriously watching out for the players in the program, but I think that calling him "extremely" strict goes too far.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »

Yeah, there was the equivalent of the Scion Pro-Am goin' on. Pretty sure Mayo was on either the Zombie or Watusi roster.
I believe ZFB once played for the Ubangi squad.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 02:19:37 PM »
LittleMurs

I do not know if he is extremely strict or not. Was only mentioning because of the extremely high number of suspensions over past twelve months.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »
Even if he provided just that and nothing else, the fan base would take that and run with it, too. No matter what he says, it'll be parsed and analyzed and over-analyzed so he probably just says what he means and leaves it at that. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, and besides, the head coach doesn't answer to the general public anyway. 

This:
I get slammed for saying this, but I do not see the benefit to letting the public fill in the blanks .. they (we) always come up with stories worse than the truth.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »
This:

Right, but whether he says nothing or he says everything, doesn't matter. The public is going to fill in whatever blanks they perceive with conjecture and assumptions anyway. In other words, the public is always going to fill in the blanks even when there aren't really any blanks there. They'll make up some blanks and fill those in.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
The Mayo situation is a perfect example.  In the void of information, the public/us internet nerds, filled in the blanks with 'Mayo is flunking out, he's done at MU.'

This week, Buzz comes out and says otherwise, that it's something he's done to many other players, sending them home for (part of) the summer, Mayo will be back.   The void of information is far smaller, and I'd submit, it becomes impossible to fill it with something as negative as 'Mayo is flunking out' -- gossip which hurts both Mayo and the program.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
What I'm hearing is the reason for the Mayo suspension is similar to the reason a player was suspended in '2008-2009.  I'm trying to share info without rocking the boat too much.  Some of you will  know what im saying.  Sounds like he was able to step it up academically to his credit and get his act together.  He is a good kid much like the player in 2008-2009 who rebounded with a nice season.  Sometimes good kids have a lapse in judgement.  It happens.  I expect big things from Todd as he is fully commited to a big season.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:48:02 PM by shaquilvaine »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 10:40:49 PM »
Never mind.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:43:40 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.