Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Scout rankings out  (Read 8213 times)

MuMark

• All American
New Scout rankings out
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »
Wilson 68(14th ranked point guard)
Burton 52
Nunn 54

Matt Thomas with a huge jump to 55
Others Washington 82
Darin Johnson 83
Kam Williams 88

Koenig and Fisher not in top 100

Wilson not as high as some might have thought but still way up from 92 in March

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: New Scout rankings out
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »
I'm pretty floored Wilson is still so low. Every time you read about an elite tournament, whether EYBL, Peach Jam, or wherever, his is always one of the first names on people's tongues. Outside of Harrison, I'm not sure any PG has looked better from his class this summer.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »
What's up with Koenig?  I thought he was the 2nd coming of John Stockton?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
Burton 52
Nunn 54

Others Washington 82
Darin Johnson 83
Kam Williams 88

So Matt Thomas is in a virtual tie with Kendrick Nunn as a college prospect.  That's worth keeping track of when they reach college.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
Burton 52
Nunn 54

Others Washington 82
Darin Johnson 83
Kam Williams 88

Who is Fisher?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »
Who is Fisher?

Luke Fischer - Going to Indiana.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
Luke Fischer - Going to Indiana.

Going to Indiana—as of now. Wouldn't shock me if he never sets foot on their campus. IU is after some prime players...may not be room for a guy who can't crack the top 100.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:19 PM »

Going to Indiana—as of now. Wouldn't shock me if he never sets foot on their campus. IU is after some prime players...may not be room for a guy who can't crack the top 100.

I don't know how much floor time he actually sees, but when talking to McKay earlier in the summer he said all the Indiana people could talk about at the time when he was getting courted was Luke Fischer. They like him a lot. A whole lot. I think he makes it on campus for sure. 

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
I'm pretty floored Wilson is still so low. Every time you read about an elite tournament, whether EYBL, Peach Jam, or wherever, his is always one of the first names on people's tongues. Outside of Harrison, I'm not sure any PG has looked better from his class this summer.

See Demetrius Jackson...

Had the pleasure of coaching him a few years back.  Great kid, has blown up this summer as he has gotten more exposure.  Wish Buzz had gone after him.  Although my son said he thinks Wilson is better.
All the big boys are after Jackson now.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
I don't know how much floor time he actually sees, but when talking to McKay earlier in the summer he said all the Indiana people could talk about at the time when he was getting courted was Luke Fischer. They like him a lot. A whole lot. I think he makes it on campus for sure. 

Good for you, young man.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
With center's I would not be as focused as focused on top 100, in scouts new rankings only 13 center's made the top 100 and on ESPN only 11 did.  Where as 27 shooting guards were in the top 90 in on ESPN.  So lots of teams are going to have to take center's outside the top 100.  I would say the 11 rated center is a much bigger get at 96 overall compared to the 27 rated SG who was 89. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »
See Demetrius Jackson...

Had the pleasure of coaching him a few years back.  Great kid, has blown up this summer as he has gotten more exposure.  Wish Buzz had gone after him.  Although my son said he thinks Wilson is better.
All the big boys are after Jackson now.

I hear that Jackson went to a really, really good HS.   ;)

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »
So Matt Thomas is in a virtual tie with Kendrick Nunn as a college prospect.  That's worth keeping track of when they reach college.

ESPN has him #31 and Nunn at #56.

I don't know if Thomas is really as good or better than Nunn, but Scout isn't a lone outlier that has him ranked that high.  ESPN has him there as well.

I think you can find similar quotes for most of the PGs in the top 100.  I don't know which is less accurate--the quotes of praise in these glowing player writeups or the glowing praise from movie critics that appear on posters.

According Hoopniks, Wilson is the 16th ranked PG post-summer:
http://hoopniks.com/post-summer-position-breakdown-2013-point-guards

I think its setting unrealistic expectations to imply Wilson is the 2nd best PG in his class behind Harrison. 

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
I'm excited about the future of MU Basketball!

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »
Wow, according to Hoopniks, Seton Hall has a PG coming in that is 5'8, 150 lbs.  I'm all for the undersized PGs with a lion's heart, but that's absurd.  You know you're small when Dominic James has 3 inches and 30 lbs. on you.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »
Matt Thomas must have had an awesome summer of AAU ball...did he make his college choice yet?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

hilltopper03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »
Were the rankings updated for the 2014 class?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
Matt Thomas must have had an awesome summer of AAU ball...did he make his college choice yet?

Iowa State
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
Were the rankings updated for the 2014 class?

I believe they were for 2014 and 2015

Name
Kevon Looney
Diamond Stone
Rivals
N/A
Scout
ESPN

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »
Wow, according to Hoopniks, Seton Hall has a PG coming in that is 5'8, 150 lbs.  I'm all for the undersized PGs with a lion's heart, but that's absurd.  You know you're small when Dominic James has 3 inches and 30 lbs. on you.

I believe that's Aquille Carr who is pretty well known for his highlight tapes on youtube.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
only thing i will say about the Nunn and Thomas rankings are that scouts tend to focus very little if at all on defense.  Not a ton of defense is played during the summer.  And one can rest be rest assured that if a scout mentions defense than that kid can really get after it defensively, cause like I said they dont normally take it into any account. 
Rankings are 99% based on offense.  Therefore, seeing as how most if not all of nunn's write up speak to his defense and athleticism I would take Nunn over thomas every day of the week.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 01:02:04 PM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0814/class-of-2013-post-july-top-125/

Wilson 46
deonte 60. 

Hummm  NBE Basketball has Jabari Parker rated third in his class.  That's unique.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Washington had already blossomed into a coveted power forward at the Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, Conn., but sought a new prep program. After checking out some different options, the Minnesota native settled on Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., a consistent powerhouse.

Washington visited Notre Dame this summer.
“I think I’m just looking forward to the emphasis on basketball,” Washington said. “Hotchkiss was a great school for me in a lot of different ways but coming into my fifth year of high school and with the opportunities I’ve been given, I just want to take advantage of it. I thought Brewster was gonna be a great place for me to really excel. Good competition, good national competition.”

Now Washington wants to take the things he learned about selecting a new school and apply it to his college decision, which will reach a critical point this fall as official visits begin.

Baylor, Illinois, Iowa State, Louisville, Marquette, Minnesota, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Washington and Wisconsin are the programs remaining on the list. This summer Washington visited only the Irish, making a trip to South Bend between camps.

#66 ESPN, #120 rivals #82 scout.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 12:16:23 PM »
only thing i will say about the Nunn and Thomas rankings are that scouts tend to focus very little if at all on defense.  Not a ton of defense is played during the summer.  And one can rest be rest assured that if a scout mentions defense than that kid can really get after it defensively, cause like I said they dont normally take it into any account. 
Rankings are 99% based on offense.  Therefore, seeing as how most if not all of nunn's write up speak to his defense and athleticism I would take Nunn over thomas every day of the week.
You can look at it another way. Nunn by playing defense is as good as Thomas not playing defense. That would make Thomas the better player assuming he learns to play defense at Iowa St.