Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Paint Touches: Top Season Performance Bracket  (Read 3256 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
Paint Touches: Top Season Performance Bracket
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:37:27 AM »
Hello all,

If I've said it once I've probably said it a million times, but we at PT appreciate all the support from MU Scoop fans the last 10 months.

With that schmoozing out of the way, I wanted to tell you about a bracket we're starting. Andrei Greska (pux90mex) and I are ranking the 16 best Marquette single-season performances of the last decade and pitting them against each other in a single elimination bracket.

Since we don't want this to drag out too long, we'll be doing a different match-up every two days. SO....we'll need you guys to vote early and often on who you believe had the better season. It's not going to work if we only have 15 votes, so we'd both appreciate if you guys spread the word on the bracket and, of course, it will be RSS'd in a Scoop thread.

Discussion, as it always is, should be lively...especially when we get into the later rounds.

First match-up will be July 9.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Paint Touches: Top Season Performance Bracket
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:38:10 AM »
You should do single game performances as well: both for MU and the opposition.

Hughes's 40 points (AS A FRESHMAN!) at the Bradley was unreal. He scored at will.
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:12:44 AM »
If you want, I can end all the speculation for you by saying that the champ will be 2002-03 Dwyane Wade.

I'd guess 2008-09 Jerel McNeal and 2011-12 Jae Crowder will both be in the Final Four, joined by either 2009-10 Lazar Hayward, 2005-06 Steve Novak, or a dark horse of 2004-05 Travis Diener.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »
You should do single game performances as well: both for MU and the opposition.

Hughes's 40 points (AS A FRESHMAN!) at the Bradley was unreal. He scored at will.

+1  Though, like the seasons, the results would be predictable.  I think the final would probably end up being DWade's triple double vs Kentucky in the 2003 Regional Final beating Novak's 41 in MU's first ever Big East game against UConn. 

I tend to block out great performances by our opponents, but the one that will always annoy me was that Stanford guard who got 16 assists for throwing uncontested lob passes to the friggin' Lopez brothers in the low post in the 2008 NCAA tournament.  Had to be the easiest great assist game in NCAA history.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »
If you want, I can end all the speculation for you by saying that the champ will be 2002-03 Dwyane Wade.

I'd guess 2008-09 Jerel McNeal and 2011-12 Jae Crowder will both be in the Final Four, joined by either 2009-10 Lazar Hayward, 2005-06 Steve Novak, or a dark horse of 2004-05 Travis Diener.

Thanks, point really isn't suspense on who will win, but rather something to keep discussion going in the off-season instead of speculating, etc.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »

You can throw DJames '06, WesMat '09, Jimmy B '11 and DJO this past year in the running too.

I'd rank them:

1.) Wade '03 (duh)
2.) Crowder '12 (duh)

3.) McNeal '09
4.) Lazar '10
5.) Novak '06
6.) Jimmy B '11

7.) Diener '05
8.) WesMat '09
9.) DJO '12
10.) DJames '06

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »
At the risk of being a killjoy, how are you going to get the 16 Marquette single-season performances out of a ten year period?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:48:18 PM »
At the risk of being a killjoy, how are you going to get the 16 Marquette single-season performances out of a ten year period?

I think you need to read some responses then rethink about the premise of this bracket

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
I think you need to read some responses then rethink about the premise of this bracket

Aaah, individual player single season performances.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
+1  Though, like the seasons, the results would be predictable.  I think the final would probably end up being DWade's triple double vs Kentucky in the 2003 Regional Final beating Novak's 41 in MU's first ever Big East game against UConn.  

I tend to block out great performances by our opponents, but the one that will always annoy me was that Stanford guard who got 16 assists for throwing uncontested lob passes to the friggin' Lopez brothers in the low post in the 2008 NCAA tournament.  Had to be the easiest great assist game in NCAA history.

Mitch Johnson.

Revisit the pain.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=284000025

James 4-16 FG? smh
Matthews only 4-6 FG? smdh
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:19:10 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »
Thanks, point really isn't suspense on who will win, but rather something to keep discussion going in the off-season instead of speculating, etc.

The usual off-season topics not to have appeared in Paint Touches (I think):
- cool and not-so-cool stadium giveaway ideas
- who's number to "retire" next
- marquette alums overseas update

Or even a all-decades team...or best player ever at each "traditional" position.

What about a historical tour of the campus: "Here is the spot where Al punched ___"

Or the best Marquette basketball moments college gym by college gym.

"Catching up with ________" Kerry Trotter, Bart Miller, etc.

If you could design a Marquette-themed food item, what would it be? Describe the significance of it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:25:59 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 12:07:05 AM »

Mitch Johnson.

Revisit the pain.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=284000025

James 4-16 FG? smh
Matthews only 4-6 FG? smdh

To me, this game summed up Crean's limitations as a bench coach. Gave James way too much latitude to shoot, had Wes parked in the corner in most of his 200 plays. Also let Johnson walk the ball up and dump it in to the Lopez twins w/o changing his defense a lick. That guy was not quick enough to handle any sort of pressure, and they just let him walk the ball up.

That game still stings.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
To me, this game summed up Crean's limitations as a bench coach. Gave James way too much latitude to shoot, had Wes parked in the corner in most of his 200 plays. Also let Johnson walk the ball up and dump it in to the Lopez twins w/o changing his defense a lick. That guy was not quick enough to handle any sort of pressure, and they just let him walk the ball up.

That game still stings.

agree- although I get blasted everytime I suggest it I would've tried the 'junk' defenses:  box and one, triangle two, switched every posession until something worked for a while. Can always go back to matchup or straight man.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »
agree- although I get blasted everytime I suggest it I would've tried the 'junk' defenses:  box and one, triangle two, switched every posession until something worked for a while. Can always go back to matchup or straight man.

Al would have certainly gone 'junk' defense. He used box and one frequently.  Sorry to steal the thread strotty.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
I thought on the last play they should have put Blackledge in. It was obvious they would throw the ball to one of the Lopez twins. Blackledge with his length and atleticsim had a chance to deflect the pass or block the shot. Burke had no chance of stopping it. Basically, all Crean was doing was hoping Lopez would miss the shot on his own.