[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lakers fan here  (Read 7379 times)

clankfu

• Walk-On
Lakers fan here
« on: June 29, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
What can you guys tell us about DJO?  I admittedly didn't know anything about him but got excited after doing a little reading on him and watching a few Youtube clips.  DraftExpress says his combine results were off the charts (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Combine-Athletic-Testing-Analysis-3965).

We really need some outside shooting and athleticism off the bench.  Would you compare him to anyone in the league?  I was thinking maybe the Avery Bradley or Eric Bledsoe type bulldog guards who can guard both the 1 and 2.   

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Lakers fan here
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
I think he'll do most of his shoppin' on Rodeo Dr. Are you kin to anyone workin' at DirectTV?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
Let's see....

IMO is that at his upside, he is a less smooth James Harden...a Shannon Brown type who can't handle as well, but will be a better shooter.

The concern I would have is that he is pretty short for a SG...but I can't think of a single time where he played the point at MU.  Not even a possession.  

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
Clank, watch this SportScience video on DJO's blazing speed.  He is a freakish athlete with a 40" vertical and he's built like an NFL safety.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7309825
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

clankfu

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Let's see....

IMO is that at his upside, he is a less smooth James Harden...a Shannon Brown type who can't handle as well, but will be a better shooter.

I've seen the Shannon Brown comparison but other than the athleticism, I don't see it.  Brown was a forward in college and his ball handling is mediocre.  He's never been the type of player who can take a defender off the dribble on a consistent basis. So if DJO's ball handling is even worse, that's a concern

The concern I would have is that he is pretty short for a SG...but I can't think of a single time where he played the point at MU.  Not even a possession.  

Yea, that's why I mentioned Bledsoe and Bradley.  Even though they played point in college, they haven't shown the acumen to do it at the NBA level.  Bradley was really effective playing with Rondo this year.

clankfu

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »
Clank, watch this SportScience video on DJO's blazing speed.  He is a freakish athlete with a 40" vertical and he's built like an NFL safety.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7309825

Yea, I saw that last night.  His athleticism is the biggest reason why I'm pretty excited about DJO.  Other than Kobe, we really don't have any great athletes on the roster and it showed against OKC. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
I've seen the Shannon Brown comparison but other than the athleticism, I don't see it.  Brown was a forward in college and his ball handling is mediocre.  He's never been the type of player who can take a defender off the dribble on a consistent basis. So if DJO's ball handling is even worse, that's a concern

OK...I see what you are saying.  DJO off the dribble is hard to describe.  It's a little herky-jerky, and sometimes it takes awhile for him to get going, but once he gets going he is very explosive.  I'm trying to think of a good comparison, but I am struggling with a good one.

Now, when he first got to MU, he was a great catch-and-shoot guy off the bench.  Very good range.  Needs some space to get his shot off, but he can fill that role.  Some have compared him to Ben Gordon, but even that's not quite right.  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »
DJO:
-Above average shot, sometimes inconsistent.
-Has a sweet looking shot: pull up and 3 point shot, needs to be more consistent.
-average FT shooter
-great head fake, needs to utilize it by jumping into defender more, imo.
-physical to the hole, can use body to create space.
-finishes strong and doesn't often miss in close.
-Relatively good handle (not good enough to be NBA pg, imo) and great explosion.
-Not renowned for his defense.
-Average to below average assist guy.
-only 6'1-6'2.
-was more clutch in tough situations as career progressed.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:38:25 PM by Stone Cold »

clankfu

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »

OK...I see what you are saying.  DJO off the dribble is hard to describe.  It's a little herky-jerky, and sometimes it takes awhile for him to get going, but once he gets going he is very explosive.  I'm trying to think of a good comparison, but I am struggling with a good one.

Now, when he first got to MU, he was a great catch-and-shoot guy off the bench.  Very good range.  Needs some space to get his shot off, but he can fill that role.  Some have compared him to Ben Gordon, but even that's not quite right.  

Gordon's an interesting comparison.  If he turned out to be Gordon with better defense, I'd be ecstatic.  Just how good is DJO's defense anyways?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »
I think you'll like him.

Strengths:  Very strong, freaky good athlete.  Very good shooter, can penetrate, good defender.  Very good motor, very hard worker, good kid.
Weaknesses:  Small for a 2.  OK ball handler, but passing/decision making a little suspect, so I can't see him ever playing more than a couple possessions at a time here or there at the point.  Was known to dribble himself into trouble from time to time here.  

I think he can be an energy guy off the bench, make a shot, get a steal.  He's also a bit streaky, which can be a good thing for a guy off the bench.  I think he'll have a career.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »
Well, some say its good...some say it isn't.  But he rarely defended the other team's best guard.  He's strong enough to guard a larger SG though.  He will have trouble keeping a PG in front of him.

clankfu

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »
DJO:
-Has a sweet looking shot: pull up and 3 point shot, needs to be more consistent.
-average FT shooter
-Relatively good handle (not good enough to be NBA pg, imo) and great explosion.
-only 6'1-6'2.

Interesting.  After reading some scouting reports, I thought defense was supposed to be one of his strong suits.  

And yea, I don't think the Lakers plan on using him to run the offense.  I'm thinking they'll run a small line-up at times with DJO at the 2 and Kobe sliding down to the 3.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
There are quite a few players who I think DJO could be compared at the NBA level. C.J. Watson (but stronger), Willie Green (but more athletic), Randy Brown (with an outside shot) or possibly even Derrek Fisher (with less refined ball-handling skills).

He's not going to be a star player but he's a valuable reserve who will contribute.

clankfu

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »
Well, some say its good...some say it isn't.  But he rarely defended the other team's best guard.  He's strong enough to guard a larger SG though.  He will have trouble keeping a PG in front of him.

Damn...I was hoping he'd be able guard guys like Westbrook, CP3 and Parker.  Not than anyone really can but those guys have absolutely torched us and PG defense has been our huge weakness for years.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
Gordon's an interesting comparison.  If he turned out to be Gordon with better defense, I'd be ecstatic.  Just how good is DJO's defense anyways?

I think Ben Gordon with better defense is a pretty accurate description. He can score in multiple ways, is going to be one of the hardest workers on the floor, but despite what he's advertised as, really isn't a point guard. He doesn't have the handle or passing mentality of a true point. I think he has NBA athleticism and toughness, just not the prototype size. If he were 2-3 inches taller, he'd have been looked at in the 20-30 range.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
DJO:
-average FT shooter
-only 6'1-6'2.

I call BS on him not being renowned for his defense.  He is a really good defender, and was named best defender on the team his sophomore year.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
In regards to Defense:

He has all the physical tools in the world to be a good defender against guards up to 6'5"-6'6" in my opinion.

Does he always expend the energy to be good on D, not always, occasionally felt like he was saving himself for O.  When he does tune in on D he is good-very good.  

Overall, I think he's got great value for where you got him.  Good bench player eventually,  maybe a starter down the road if his shot gets real consistent.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
DJO is an above average defender, I'd say. The job he did on Dominique Jones a couple years ago really stands out in the memory.

One very underrated, and useful part of his game his his ambidexterity. He's a lefty, but drives and finishes very well with his right hand. Defenses won't be able to take one side away.

Besides height, ballhandling was a weakness as others have said. He tends to have a high dribble, which can cause problems in traffic. But with ball being his full time job, I'd be surprised if he doesn't tighten up the handle.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
In regards to Defense:

He has all the physical tools in the world to be a good defender against guards up to 6'5"-6'6" in my opinion.

Does he always expend the energy to be good on D, not always, occasionally felt like he was saving himself for O.  When he does tune in on D he is good-very good.  

Overall, I think he's got great value for where you got him.  Good bench player eventually,  maybe a starter down the road if his shot gets real consistent.

I can agree with that.  You're right, he was more offense focused the last year or two.  Part of it as well is that Blue was guarding their best player so  DJO didn't have to... and Blue is a helluva defender.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
I can agree with that.  You're right, he was more offense focused the last year or two.  Part of it as well is that Blue was guarding their best player so  DJO didn't have to... and Blue is a helluva defender.

The big thing for him at the next level is he won't have to be the main scoring option, and he can bring it on both in spurts off the bench.

It's really hard to be the main scoring threat and the defensive stopper over the course of a whole game.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
I think Ben Gordon with better defense is a pretty accurate description. He can score in multiple ways, is going to be one of the hardest workers on the floor, but despite what he's advertised as, really isn't a point guard. He doesn't have the handle or passing mentality of a true point. I think he has NBA athleticism and toughness, just not the prototype size. If he were 2-3 inches taller, he'd have been looked at in the 20-30 range.

If DJO was Ben Gordon with defense, he would have been a top 10 pick. Maybe "A poor man's Ben Gordon with more defense and less offense." As much as I want to, I just can't see DJO being a 20ppg guy like Gordon has been.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »
He CAN be a good defender, but he didn't bring it every game at MU.    With the ball in the open floor, he is almost as fast as a Westbrook or a CP3.   Not as graceful moving backward or sideways.  He has good range as a shooter, even if his release is a little slow.    He doesn't really think like a PG, getting his teammates the ball in the right spot.      But he is very athletic, very strong, a good shooter, and could be a valuable guy off of the bench. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »
DJO is an above average defender, I'd say. The job he did on Dominique Jones a couple years ago really stands out in the memory.

One very underrated, and useful part of his game his his ambidexterity. He's a lefty, but drives and finishes very well with his right hand. Defenses won't be able to take one side away.

Besides height, ballhandling was a weakness as others have said. He tends to have a high dribble, which can cause problems in traffic. But with ball being his full time job, I'd be surprised if he doesn't tighten up the handle.

This is the point I'll remember most about DJO. The only way I describe him to others is he moves with such violence to the hoop. Always so hard at the rim but with control on either hand to finish. Quite a few moves last year resulted in me thinking "that's an Association play".

You mention it in another post as well but I'd like to repeat that I think DJO will be much better in other aspects without having to lead in scoring. He'll slide in well next to Kobe and Bynum as the primary options to pick up leftovers whilst still keeping some in the tank for the defensive end.

Like his chances of making the team.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:32 PM »
DJO: 
Shoots - Left
Dunks - Right
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »

Also he is a "Character Guy"   won't be poison in the locker room but actually  a positive contributer

feedback