Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo GONE ?  (Read 45961 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Todd Mayo GONE ?
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2012, 04:58:13 AM »
It seems to me that several members here, myself included, now wait on Fridays to confirm or deny bad news rumors, so I'd have to agree that the effectiveness of this strategy could use some reevaluation.

You aren't who matters in this. None of us are. The question is whether it ends up on the front page of the Trib of the Journal-Sentinel, or is in the first block of any of the local news. The timing means that the average person isn't even asking the questions. The people diehard enough to be watching for stuff like this make up less than 0.1% of the readership/viewership that MU cares about with this retargeting.

My guess is that come a week from Monday, if you ask the average sports fan in the area about Todd Mayo's suspension, they'll think you're talking about the WVU game. And that's the goal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2012, 07:08:36 AM »
My guess is that if you ask the average sports fan in the area about Todd Mayo's suspension, they'll say "Who?"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »
Does any of what Buzz said make sense in response to the Mayo suspension??  Here are all of his quotes on the matter:
He’s suspended,” said Williams. “That’s it. No specific incident. Nothing like that, but he is suspended.”

Asked how long the suspension would continue, Williams said, “I don’t know that. I don’t know what the final answer to that will be.

“He hasn’t taken part in anything we’ve done all summer long. I haven’t necessarily tried to hide that, but yes, he’s suspended.”

And so, Williams will decide when the time is right for Mayo’s suspension to be lifted?”

“That’s correct,” said Williams.

So - Let's get this straight - Todd is suspended for "no specific incident, nothing like that, but he is suspended."  Furthermore, Buzz when asked how long the suspension would continue said:  "I don't know that,  I don't know what the final answer will be?"  What final answer is Buzz referring to??  Perhaps that given to him from those above?  Yet, Buzz is in full control as to when he is reinstated??  Let's not forget the backdrop to all of this is the rumors of academic struggles, the rumors that MU's eligibility standards have increased, and we have knowledge that Todd is apparently NCAA academically eligible...

As someone wrote in another thread...you can lead the horse to water.....lots of thirsty horses around here.

Sounds like Mayo was letting something fall apart and Buzz is waiting on Mayo to get his crap back together.  That would be a case of "How should I know when he gets his shiite together?  It's on him" and it would also fulfill a "no specific incident, Mayo just doesn't have his shiite together."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »
Does any of what Buzz said make sense in response to the Mayo suspension??  Here are all of his quotes on the matter:
He’s suspended,” said Williams. “That’s it. No specific incident. Nothing like that, but he is suspended.”

Asked how long the suspension would continue, Williams said, “I don’t know that. I don’t know what the final answer to that will be.

“He hasn’t taken part in anything we’ve done all summer long. I haven’t necessarily tried to hide that, but yes, he’s suspended.”

And so, Williams will decide when the time is right for Mayo’s suspension to be lifted?”

“That’s correct,” said Williams.

So - Let's get this straight - Todd is suspended for "no specific incident, nothing like that, but he is suspended."  Furthermore, Buzz when asked how long the suspension would continue said:  "I don't know that,  I don't know what the final answer will be?"  What final answer is Buzz referring to??  Perhaps that given to him from those above?  Yet, Buzz is in full control as to when he is reinstated??  Let's not forget the backdrop to all of this is the rumors of academic struggles, the rumors that MU's eligibility standards have increased, and we have knowledge that Todd is apparently NCAA academically eligible...

As someone wrote in another thread...you can lead the horse to water.....lots of thirsty horses around here.

Honest question:

Is there anything MU could have said in either in a press release or via Buzz Williams that would have convinced you that this suspension isn't coming from the athletic department? (against the head coach's wishes)

Buzz statement appear pretty straight forward to me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »
So - Let's get this straight - Todd is suspended for "no specific incident, nothing like that, but he is suspended."  Furthermore, Buzz when asked how long the suspension would continue said:  "I don't know that,  I don't know what the final answer will be?"  What final answer is Buzz referring to??  Perhaps that given to him from those above?  Yet, Buzz is in full control as to when he is reinstated??  Let's not forget the backdrop to all of this is the rumors of academic struggles, the rumors that MU's eligibility standards have increased, and we have knowledge that Todd is apparently NCAA academically eligible...

How do you know that he is "NCAA academically eligible???"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
What a short memory some people have....

The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker.  That is the answer to every material question in this thread.

Pesonally, I'm looking forward to watching a grown, greatly matured Mayo next season.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »
Honest question:

Is there anything MU could have said in either in a press release or via Buzz Williams that would have convinced you that this suspension isn't coming from the athletic department? (against the head coach's wishes)

Buzz statement appear pretty straight forward to me.

You continue to be a thirsty horse...put 2 and 2 together.  If the kid isn't suspended for a specific incident, why would Buzz suspend a critical piece to next year's team?  Did you not see Buzz getting emotional after Todd was talking at the press conference following Murray State game.  Todd made strides last year as a person.  Buzz was proud.  Buzz also was annoyed at the end of the season, and entertained leaving for SMU.  How many puzzle pieces do you need before you put it all together??
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »
and ya wonder why these guys drink.  ?-( all this over something he can neither defend himself over nor if any of it is true

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »
Pretty simple, its all up to Mayo and his maturity. Sounds like if he takes care of his bizness, Buzz will reinstate him.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
You continue to be a thirsty horse...put 2 and 2 together.  If the kid isn't suspended for a specific incident, why would Buzz suspend a critical piece to next year's team?  Did you not see Buzz getting emotional after Todd was talking at the press conference following Murray State game.  Todd made strides last year as a person.  Buzz was proud.  Buzz also was annoyed at the end of the season, and entertained leaving for SMU.  How many puzzle pieces do you need before you put it all together??

IOW, Buzz likes Mayo and Todd made great strides last season. Therefore, Buzz would never suspend him. Sure. That makes sense  ::)

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
If the kid isn't suspended for a specific incident, why would Buzz suspend a critical piece to next year's team?

I have NO idea what this is about. Of course Mayo is suspended for a specific incident. Buzz simply isn't revealing what that is.

You're kind of putting .2 and .6 together and getting 15.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »

I appreciate the honesty, but I'm just not seeing it.

It's not outrageous to think that Todd made a mistake, and his coach suspended him. 1+1=2. The coach won't state a specific incident because MU is handling the matters internally, and if the issue is academic, they can't talk about it. 2+2=4.

I'm not seeing that somehow this is a conspiracy from the upper management levels of MU. Certainly possible, but seems unlikely.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2012, 10:59:45 PM »

Two words: Tough Love.

But I suppose if you were the perfect child and had perfect parents who never taught you the meaning of metaphor, then you might as well keep collecting puzzle pieces... at least make sure they're from the same box.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »
If the kid isn't suspended for a specific incident, why would Buzz suspend a critical piece to next year's team?

“It’s got to be about more than winning and losing,” Williams later said, still fighting back tears. “When you see kids grow and mature, especially when all the perspective of who they are is not really who they are, I think that’s special.”

That was ironically a direct reference to Todd. If one of Buzz's players is trending in the wrong direction, I would hope Buzz would not look the other way and say, "well, he hasn't really done any one specific thing wrong." And Buzz hasn't done that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »

Ners, you are making too many assumptions again based on your biases.  You want to find reasons to dislike LW and SP so you have concocted this scenario of Mayo being eligible according to NCAA standards but not to MU's new standards - which have been implemented by SP and LW.

Yet there is ZERO evidence to suggest this is the case.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »

Ners, you are making too many assumptions again based on your biases.  You want to find reasons to dislike LW and SP so you have concocted this scenario of Mayo being eligible according to NCAA standards but not to MU's new standards - which have been implemented by SP and LW.

Has it not been mentioned by Mark Miller and others that he is eligible?  Strotty wrote in this thread:
I mentioned in the first place that it's not necessarily about Mayo qualifying or not qualifying. Passing grades don't make you a good student or, in this case, a good enough student to participate with the basketball team.

And let's not forget what was the initial description of Hiroshima - Raised academic standards could have a negative impact on a player or two on the current roster.

As for Scott Pilarz - I don't really have an issue with him, Larry Williams? Yes - I think the guy is a a major ego, and lacking in common sense.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:22 PM »
Yes, he is "eligible."  Neither you nor I knows fully what that means.  My assumption regarding strotty's comment is that maybe Mayo was missing classes...or study sessions...or whatever. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
Yes, he is "eligible."  Neither you nor I knows fully what that means.  My assumption regarding strotty's comment is that maybe Mayo was missing classes...or study sessions...or whatever. 
I do not really know, but that is my take on it. Buzz would not be happy with any of his players missing classes, especially one that might be a marginal student.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »

Both your and Ner's speculations are possible and even logical. I'm rooting very hard for you to be right as it would be much better for the program. I hope (and would bet) that Ners is too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
I don't think Ners is logical at all.  How could he be "eligible," but not really be eligible?  Either you are eligible or you aren't.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:31 PM »

I don't think Ners is logical at all.  How could he be "eligible," but not really be eligible?  Either you are eligible or you aren't.

So...we both are making assumptions, yet mine are illogical according to you?  But to answer your question on How one could be eligible but not really eligible???  Really?!!  What has been debated here tirelessly for the last 2 months - that MU was going to be raising its eligibility requirements above NCAA minimums...so..it is in fact possible that Todd could be NCAA eligible, but not MU eligible, correct??

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
So...we both are making assumptions, yet mine are illogical according to you?  

Yes.  

But to answer your question on How one could be eligible but not really eligible???  Really?!!  What has been debated here tirelessly for the last 2 months - that MU was going to be raising its eligibility requirements above NCAA minimums...so..it is in fact possible that Todd could be NCAA eligible, but not MU eligible, correct??

I don't think so.  If you are ineligible to play for your team, you are ineligible to play period.  If what you are asking is "Could he be eligible according to the prior standards, which are the NCAA minimums, but not now."  Yes.  But that doesn't make him "eligible" now...he would be decidedly "ineligible."

Furthermore, I don't think Mark Miller would parse his words in such a manner.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:36:42 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »
My two cents is that we don't know and probably never will know why Todd was suspended so we should all just probably stop the sewing circle.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
My two cents is that we don't know and probably never will know why Todd was suspended so we should all just probably stop the sewing circle.

+1

I've never been one of those "in the know" about most MU things.  When it came to odds and ends about kids from my neck of the woods (Kenosha or Racine), I've gotten some info early, but nothing earthshattering.  Us simple folk come here for recruiting info and MU specific info.  For presumptuous posts, can't you all just go to people.com or read the national inquirer?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2012, 08:43:59 AM »
+1

I've never been one of those "in the know" about most MU things.  When it came to odds and ends about kids from my neck of the woods (Kenosha or Racine), I've gotten some info early, but nothing earthshattering.  Us simple folk come here for recruiting info and MU specific info.  For presumptuous posts, can't you all just go to people.com or read the national inquirer?

This is a fan discussion board where fans of MU basketball can get together over the internet and discuss whatever they like/want to regarding MU basketball.  I am not reading the majority of threads going on right now because they don't interest me.  It's easy to do.  I suggest that you do the same. Live and let live, so to speak.

I do very much appreciate tidbits posted from locals regarding players MU is interested in. so thank you for any posts along those lines.  Shalom.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.