[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM's 2nd choice, now a NBA Head Coach  (Read 3907 times)

The Lens

• All American
UWM's 2nd choice, now a NBA Head Coach
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
MJ just hired St John's Assoc Head Coach Mike Dunlap.

Dunlap certainly has had an interesting career trajectory since Rob Jeter beat him out for the UWM job.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: UWM's 2nd choice, now a NBA Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:26:46 AM »
Not good enough for UWM but good enough for the Charlotte Bobcats!

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
UWM needs to be "MILWAUKEE" or "WISCONSIN STATE"  before they can become relevant. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:32:04 AM by Dreadman24 »

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
UWM needs to be "MILWAUKEE" or "WISCONSIN STATE"  before they can become relevant. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
UWM needs to be "MILWAUKEE" or "WISCONSIN STATE"  before they can become relevant. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

Just putting a different wrapping on the same mediocre present.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
UWM needs to be "MILWAUKEE" or "WISCONSIN STATE"  before they can become relevant. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

They're already branding themselves as Milwaukee.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »

Yup...that was my thought. But just because they're selling themselves as Milwaukee doesn't mean anyone's buying. I think they're still perceived as a directional/hyphen school, despite having a student base of over 30,000. Still playing second fiddle in the city and at best third in the state.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

I'm not sure who this reflects more poorly on.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:58:20 PM »
I'm not sure who this reflects more poorly on.

It reflects pretty poorly on Charlotte. Mainly because Dunlap is 55-years-old with 2 seasons of NBA assistant coaching experience and has never even been a D1 head coach. MJ turned down a HOF coach in Jerry Sloan and an up-and-comer in Brian Shaw, who won 3 rings and played/coached for/with Phil Jackson for 10 seasons. IMO, Shaw was a no-brainer for the job. I guess we shall see.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
Yup...that was my thought. But just because they're selling themselves as Milwaukee doesn't mean anyone's buying. I think they're still perceived as a directional/hyphen school, despite having a student base of over 30,000. Still playing second fiddle in the city and at best third in the state.

They don't have much of a residential presence and many students view them as an extension of high school.  Commuter schools all over face the same exact issue.  Branding themselves as "Wisconsin State" isn't going to change that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »

They don't have much of a residential presence and many students view them as an extension of high school.  Commuter schools all over face the same exact issue.  Branding themselves as "Wisconsin State" isn't going to change that.

To be fair, over the past 10 years, they have added quite a bit of student housing/dorms.

I think it's a good option for college, especially for kids from rural areas. Madison is great, but obviously has a very "Collegey" feel. The eastside has a lot of students, but UWM is more a part of the city rather than being the center point, like UW.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »
To be fair, over the past 10 years, they have added quite a bit of student housing/dorms.

I think it's a good option for college, especially for kids from rural areas. Madison is great, but obviously has a very "Collegey" feel. The eastside has a lot of students, but UWM is more a part of the city rather than being the center point, like UW.

http://www4.uwm.edu/life/

Of their 30,000 students, only 4,000 live in the residence halls.  10,000 live in apartments near campus...

That just hinders the campus pride factor that is needed to develop a strong athletic program.

But you are right.  It is a good school...much better than a generation ago.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »

http://www4.uwm.edu/life/

Of their 30,000 students, only 4,000 live in the residence halls.  10,000 live in apartments near campus...

That just hinders the campus pride factor that is needed to develop a strong athletic program.

But you are right.  It is a good school...much better than a generation ago.

I don't mean to imply that most students live on campus now, I'm just saying that in the past 10 years I can think of 2 or 3 good sized residences that went up on the eastside for UWM students.

I don't think they will ever have big time athletics, and that probably shouldn't be a goal. If kids are looking for a school with sports and school spirit, there is UW or Whitewater.

UWM has an awesome neighborhood, entertainment, transportation, etc. Those are tremendous strengths and I think they should play to those. Not everybody is looking for a "frat boy", "college-football tailgate" type of experience.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »

"Milwaukee University...the MU second to one"   :D

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »
It reflects pretty poorly on Charlotte. Mainly because Dunlap is 55-years-old with 2 seasons of NBA assistant coaching experience and has never even been a D1 head coach. MJ turned down a HOF coach in Jerry Sloan and an up-and-comer in Brian Shaw, who won 3 rings and played/coached for/with Phil Jackson for 10 seasons. IMO, Shaw was a no-brainer for the job. I guess we shall see.

I have a feeling MJ turned down Jerry Sloan, Brian Shaw, and Patrick Ewing because he wants ultimate control on what's going on with the team (players, trades, etc).  MJ is a control freak kinda guy, and now he has a pawn as his coach that he'll be able to manipulate.

Much like Pat Riley and Spoelstra.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »
I have a feeling MJ turned down Jerry Sloan, Brian Shaw, and Patrick Ewing because he wants ultimate control on what's going on with the team (players, trades, etc).  MJ is a control freak kinda guy, and now he has a pawn as his coach that he'll be able to manipulate.

Much like Pat Riley and Spoelstra.

Everything I read and hear about Mike's ownership of the Bobcats is exactly the opposite. Instead of being a control freak, he's mostly been MIA, far away from Charlotte and the team's issues. Instead, he's on the golf course, or in Miami, Chicago, or Vegas.

While he certainly drives key decisions, I can't recall anyone reporting that MJ is deeply involved with the Bobcats' day-to-day activities. And frankly, he's been roundly criticized for that, with calls for him to directly assert his control over the team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »

It will be interesting to see which team wins more games next year!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback