[Today at 01:18:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Kam Jones is a top 10 player in 2025 by PaintTouches
[Today at 12:32:36 PM]

New Assistant Coach by dspan34
[Today at 12:23:16 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Lennys Tap
[Today at 11:59:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Issac Chew to MU?  (Read 36130 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Re: Issac Chew to MU?
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »
Does hiring Chew count as Hiroshima, because this move is the bomb.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
Could you please give me the posts where I mentioned Hiroshima (other than this one time)?  I will help you, I never have.  In fact, I have not played the game on this board at all.  Thanks for calling me out, though.

Honestly, I doubt you have. I'd bet my bottom dollar that people like madtown and CD have used "Hiroshima" far more than the people they claim are responsible for it. I only used you as an example because I know you're one of the people that bore the brunt of this nonsensical crap.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
He meant MuGuru!!!!

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2012, 02:53:37 PM »

You can't see me right now, but I'm giving you a standing ovation.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »

Best 30th post, ever.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
Illini board is melting down about the Chew move to MU (more evidence it is a good hire).

It starts here at the bottom on page 68

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=17846&page=68

Some choice posts ...

In a nutshell. He moved to Illinois for a big raise, and then jumped to the next opportunity when a bigger raise was offered. We can hardly complain given that we just plucked him from Missouri for the same reason.

---
I feel bad for Groce man. He really has a mess to deal with

Wasnt Chew our Chicago guy and actually wasnt he the one that Groce took with him on his tour of Chicago?

---

Yeah it sucks but if he and Buzz have been casually discussing him coaching there for a while then I'd rather he just leave now instead of constantly peeking over to see if Buzz is looking at him so he can leave our side and go be with him.

---

Joe Henricksen on WDWS talking Isaac Chew to Marquette: "It was a huge, significant raise."
Joe Henricksen on WDWS talking Isaac Chew to Marquette: "It know for a fact that he felt sick about it."

---

As a fan, I never got to know Coach Chew at Illinois.

His abrupt departure has got to be one of the shortest stints as an assistant basketball coach in Illinois History.

I was skeptical when Chew jumped from across the river leaving behind a team that won 30 games last year to join the Illini. I thought Chew saw something special in this Illinois team and the new Head Coach. Perhaps he still does, just not enough to stay.

---

How is it Marquette can pay the Assistant Coaches more than Illinois could pay?

---

My guess is because Marquette does not have a football program...B-Ball is THE money maker.

---

Isaac Chew to join Marquette coaching staff

"I really appreciate the opportunity coach Groce gave me," Chew said by phone. "This wasn't my plan. I didn't seek this out. I think coach Groce is going to do great things at Illinois. This is just a situation I can't pass up for me and my family. It was a family decision.

"There were some factors involved that were important to me as well as my wife. As coaches, we often make decisions. We always tell our wives to make sacrifices. This is an opportunity for both of us. She really felt great about the decision."

---

Another blow to the already bruised psyche of Illini Nation. Why not just hire Deon and get this thing over with?

---

The last few months have provided us with a sobering, eye-opening view of just how our program is perceived these days. We are not a destination. We're a way station. If recruiting for 2013 was a mess before this, it certainly isn't going to get any better now.  I've been off the board lately because I'm so depressed about the state of our program and I don't want my negativity to spill onto the board. Let's hope something good happens soon. We're certainly due for some good news.

----

Chew to Marquette - and explains why

Illinois made a counter-offer to entice Chew to stay at Illinois. But the opportunity to join Williams, who has taken Marquette to consecutive Sweet 16s and has turned down multiple job offers from other programs to stay at the Big East school, was too attractive. Chew was scheduled to leave for Milwaukee on Tuesday night.

"It was an emotional decision. It was emotional for me and for my wife and my family," Chew said by phone. "Coach Groce is going to do a great job (at Illinois). This had nothing to do with the challenge. I think the world of coach Groce and his staff. I just couldn't pass up this opportunity. That's just the bottom line."

---

I can't believe Marquette is perceived as a better job than Illinois, and if it is that's a crime. I don't understand all of this talk about this being a rebuild, its not like we have had 5 losing years in a row, we are close to being good and in basketball a couple players make all the difference. We have plenty of good players, with Hill, James and Rice and the sophomore class I just don't see that we are that far away from being good.

---

Did you read Henricksen's article? In the last four years, does Marquette have four NCAA tournament appearances and two sweet sixteens to UI's one win, and two no-shows? The historical argument doesn't really mean much except to a few people, and certainly not 15-17 year olds. They probably watch the '05 team when they were ten, but that was an long, long time ago in their lives. Our program has found a way to make PSU formidable, and Nebraska more than competitive. How much worse does it get than tied for ninth place? Five mediocre years may as well be five losing years when it comes to perception.

---

I still do not think Marquette is as good as Illinois, they won it all in 77 I think but other than that no final fours and I don't think they have ever won the Big East, the last 30 years Illinois has been better and certainly should be better in the future.

---

would not disagree at all. But, I'm an Illinois fan on an Illini forum. If I wasn't, that argument would be useless. The last four or five years is the only history most fans can recall, or probably give any value, imo. There may be exceptions like Indiana high schoolers. On the other hand is ND a football power, or Army, or Harvard? Once upon a time....nobody cares.

---

We have certainly fallen, but there is no comparison between the innate strengths of the Ui program and MU. Had to be a serious money difference for Chew, who probably is at a career stage where he is thinking short-term until he gets a top job. There will be other strong coaches/recruiters for Coach Groce to bring in, but for the next few months, this doesnt help.

At this point, if i played for the illini. I'd have a serious chip on my shoulder. Much to prove in the next few seasons, and i think we have a core of 8 or 9 who have the talent and desire to finish in the top 5 or 6 teams in the B10 and make some noise in the tournament that matters.

---

And money, right? Substantially more we are hearing?

Let me also add another caveat. Buzz is safe at Marquette. He will not be fired in the next 3 years. Groce could be. When the head man goes, so do his assistants.

So in the end we have a young guy who probably has little savings at this point leaving for more money and greater job security with a true mentor that he trusts? Count me as someone who hopes my kids have the same approach to their careers.

(apparently they have not heard of Hiroshima!)

---

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »
I feel bad for the Illini fans.  Lord knows our fanbase has been in that hole before.

Best of luck to them rebuilding, and as always I hope they beat the crap out of UW-Madison every year! :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »
To be honest, their fans seemed fine.  A couple people questioning his loyalty, but frankly that place seemed pretty sane.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »
maybe he always wanted to coach at the "SLU of the Northwoods"

Reportedly 90% of all college assistants would settle for that.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2012, 04:54:34 PM »
self-aggrandizement - n, the act of increasing one's own power, importance, etc., esp in an aggressive or ruthless manner

I have to admit my MU education failed me on that one.    Hey - so one can can increase their power & importance and in aggressive or ruthless manner at the expense of others on this very MU BBoard by calling others "tin foil hat" wearers (by the way, I was not the one who started this) - never knew that.    

Either you are more than slightly exaggerating the dialogue on a message board or take this way too seriously...

My only motivation is to call bullcrap on the use of rumors and unidentified sources to say Pilarz and Williams are out to destroy the program...

I have "sources" (as most do who follow the program closely) who have said some pretty interesting things about MU basketball over the years and recently - none of which I posted here cause I have no way to know how correct they are and in no way want to feed the nature of this board to try to find every in every situation that the admin is out to destroy the program.

Guess I should give up the reading of "anonymous users" posting "facts" based on "rumors" from "unidentifiable sources" and save myself the aggravation....

Mocking posters by calling them tin foil hat wearers is fun for a while and teasing your fellow posters is well within the limits of this forum.   In fact, it is probably essential in forum discourse.  A few days of good natured teasing are fun.  After a few days it becomes tedious and demeaning.  Because, in the end, what it translates to is "boy are you dumb for being concerned about the rumors and boy am I smart for pointing it out."  The insult is funny for a while, but after numerous days (weeks?) of calling out posters it becomes more than annoying.  

Goose

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
ATWiz
Funny thing is I really hope I am being mocked big time year from now. If Buzz is coach next May30th I hope I have been mocked for weeks and more to come. That is what cracks me up because nobody wants me to wrong more than I do.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »
To be honest, their fans seemed fine.  A couple people questioning his loyalty, but frankly that place seemed pretty sane.[/b[

Must be nice :)

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »
Mocking posters by calling them tin foil hat wearers is fun for a while and teasing your fellow posters is well within the limits of this forum.   In fact, it is probably essential in forum discourse.  A few days of good natured teasing are fun.  After a few days it becomes tedious and demeaning.  Because, in the end, what it translates to is "boy are you dumb for being concerned about the rumors and boy am I smart for pointing it out."  The insult is funny for a while, but after numerous days (weeks?) of calling out posters it becomes more than annoying.  

Amen. IIRC, Lab Warrior, the original "tin foil hat" guy. He's also very funny. He may have pushed the joke a little too far but he's been off it for awhile. Not surprisingly, the not very funny (madtown) and the colossally unfunny (Hoopaloop) continue to beat the dead horse.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:28:17 PM by Lennys Tap »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
cause I point out that a really big (and expensive) hire by MU contradicts that previously written statements that MU leadership was trying to take MU bball program spending down to the SLU level (that was written many items over previously)...

sorry I take offense to people that at every opportunity try to support a Williams / Pilarz conspiracy to destroy MU basketball as we know it and now there are some great examples of MU bball staying high profile (big assistant hire, aircraft carrier game and no grade casualties yet)...

Unfortunately, you have now exceeded those you dislike in terms of how tiresome your posts have become.  Congratulations, I'm sure that you are proud.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
To be honest, their fans seemed fine.  A couple people questioning his loyalty, but frankly that place seemed pretty sane.

I agree...thought their board handled Chew's departure with a good deal of class..and were even fairly respectful/objective in their opinions on MU vs UI as hoops schools. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
Broke rule #1:

If a child notices something bothers you, they'll keep at it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »
StoneCold

Good call. I have taken madtown's bait to often.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:40 PM »
Speaking of hats... Who decided snap backs needed to come back? Sheesh.

Don't hate.

This means I get to blow some dust off my old ones and resell them.

EBay ID: YoureASucker
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »
Wait ... you mean we're not getting Tokoto?

Not until he transfers after spending his first year or two at the far end of the UNC bench.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
Unfortunately, you have now exceeded those you dislike in terms of how tiresome your posts have become.  Congratulations, I'm sure that you are proud.

sorry - the circle jerk of doomsday supporters / IWB wannabe's with sources hasn't stopped the lunacy of pointing out how every potential MU news supports their contention MU basketball is headed for SLU levels...  good lord, even the hiring of Chew was meet with conspiracy thoughts...

Sorry, I don't agree with the premise of many posters here and don't play the stupid "I said IF" game to qualify every one of their stupid thoughts...

i won't criticize a single post - it can be a Goose conspiracy-inspired bonanza from here out...   maybe even bring back the idiot who said Buzz interviewed in Dallas for SMU and Buzz would have had the job if the SMU president would have liked him (man, sure glad the SMU president didn't like Buzz)....  

Dawson Rental

• All American

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
I take it as a pretty good sign that one of the reasons Chew came here was Buzz turned down other jobs. I'm sure the topic had to come up and I'm sure Buzz isn't recruiting good friends to come here after 2 months at another high-major job if he plans on bolting soon or it's a toxic situation.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »
Can't believe no one has commented on that comment about no final fours since '77...

feedback