Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Rankings - Diamond Stone #3 in Class of '15  (Read 12355 times)

GGGG

• All American
ESPN Rankings - Diamond Stone #3 in Class of '15
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
I don't know if I should feel good about this...

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
Re: ESPN Rankings - Diamond Stone #3 in Class of '15
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:12:14 PM »
WOW!!!

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »

Ha it's funny how that works.  When you're a program like MU you don't want your local talent to be TOO good.  Seems like he's gonna have a spot at the school of his choice.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »
Lots can happen but we're in a good place.

Buzz has been at MU since this kid was in 6th place.  Meaning Buzz is in a better spot, with a better track record than he was with JPT.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »
Ha it's funny how that works.  When you're a program like MU you don't want your local talent to be TOO good.  Seems like he's gonna have a spot at the school of his choice.

No, I want him to be very good.  I just don't want him to be ranked too high!

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
My son's friend is a teammate of Stone on his AAU team, Wisconsin Young Legends. Stone could have his pick of any AAU team to play on, and believe me, they come after him week in and week out.  Him and his dad have chosen to play with the same guys for the last three years because it feels like family. There are better players out there for sure, but they have remained loyal to all of the kids he enjoys playing with. From the outside, they seem like a pretty grounded bunch. Hopefully, Buzz has made an impression and continues to foster the relationship. I still remember seeing him for the first time at a tournament at Waukesha South when he was playing for Tosa East -- he was in 6th or 7th grade and was 6' 6". Would love to see him in an MU uniform.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
In the 2013 rankings Deonte dropped a little but Duane Wilson jumped a ton. We now have 2 recruits in the top 60.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »
My son's friend is a teammate of Stone on his AAU team, Wisconsin Young Legends. Stone could have his pick of any AAU team to play on, and believe me, they come after him week in and week out.  Him and his dad have chosen to play with the same guys for the last three years because it feels like family. There are better players out there for sure, but they have remained loyal to all of the kids he enjoys playing with. From the outside, they seem like a pretty grounded bunch. Hopefully, Buzz has made an impression and continues to foster the relationship. I still remember seeing him for the first time at a tournament at Waukesha South when he was playing for Tosa East -- he was in 6th or 7th grade and was 6' 6". Would love to see him in an MU uniform.

This is why having Duane Wilson in an MU uni will help us out IMMENSELY.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »
This is why having Duane Wilson in an MU uni will help us out IMMENSELY.
I really hope Wilson is recruiting him hard. I cant even imagine how good MU would be in 2015 if we landed Stone. Long ways off but WOW!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
I really want Stone at MU, but remember it's still very early. Tokoto was also a top-5 player (4, I think) on ESPN at the same point of his career. Then he dropped like a proverbial rock.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
I really want Stone at MU, but remember it's still very early. Tokoto was also a top-5 player (4, I think) on ESPN at the same point of his career. Then he dropped like a proverbial rock.

Jamil Wilson was top 10 at the same point too, wasn't he?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
Jamil Wilson was top 10 at the same point too, wasn't he?

At least into his junior year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »
He wasn't 6-9.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »
He wasn't 6-9.

He was 6'6" though.  It's not like he stopped growing at 5'10" and that's why he plummeted.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »

He wasn't 6-9.

Agree that it's early, but also agree that you can't coach height.  Getting a solid big, and someone with a  teammate already in the fold... would be pretty awesome. 

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »
Wilson and Stone are very good friends.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
Hmm...so let me get this straight, the general consensus right now is that Jabari Parker is the best player in HS, and maybe the best HS player period since LeBron James, right? Then why is it that ESPN grades him at a 96? If that were some stellar rating, fine, but there are 19 players in the class of 2012 graded higher than Parker. I think that despite them being just over 24 hours old, their rankings need some polishing.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »
Man Wilson really jumped up pretty much cut his ranking in half. Almost as high as Deonte now. Pumped to have both of them. Did Looney drop a few spots? Says he's #17 now.

hilltopper03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »
Hmm...so let me get this straight, the general consensus right now is that Jabari Parker is the best player in HS, and maybe the best HS player period since LeBron James, right? Then why is it that ESPN grades him at a 96? If that were some stellar rating, fine, but there are 19 players in the class of 2012 graded higher than Parker. I think that despite them being just over 24 hours old, their rankings need some polishing.

ESPN just updated their rating system. Last year Deonte was a 95.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »
Who cares! It's what they do in a game. But Burton, Wilson, Looney and Stone would
look awfully good wearing MU colors. Let's add Nunn, Paul White and a big.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »
I actually think Diamond Stone is a tad bit overated. However, he still would be an ok get for us.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
An ok get? Are you out of your mind...He could single handedly bump this team top elite status for years to come. It would open up the flood gates for every top WI recruit after him. Once Marquette reaches elite status all of the top Chicago talent will want to come to MU. You have to think big picture when talking about a top 3 recruit. When you land a guy like this, regardless of rating, its huge for the program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »
I actually think Diamond Stone is a tad bit overated. However, he still would be an ok get for us.

First of all, let us accept the foolishness of trying to project what high school freshmen are going to look like when it is time to go to college.    OK.....with that accepted......

Are you nuts?    A local 6'9 freshman who was a defensive terror in the state tourney, is athletic, has reasonable offensive moves and is friends with other MU recruits?     Overrated?!?!    Try manna from heaven. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »
An ok get? Are you out of your mind...He could single handedly bump this team top elite status for years to come. It would open up the flood gates for every top WI recruit after him. Once Marquette reaches elite status all of the top Chicago talent will want to come to MU. You have to think big picture when talking about a top 3 recruit. When you land a guy like this, regardless of rating, its huge for the program.

This is going a little overboard.  Sure, a recruit like Looney and Stone may attract others, but you aren't going to get everybody you want in Chicago and you wouldn't want that anyway.  Chicago recruits are fine as long as they are the right kids for this school and not every kid is the right fit.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

Maybe, maybe not. Wade was that level of player and it didn't open those proverbial floodgates. And what someone does once they get here is far more important than their rating coming in. And with 3 years left before he graduates, he could end up a top-10 player or outside the top-50. I think we're all hoping Stone follows Burton, Wilson, and (fingers crossed) McKay and Looney to Marquette, but results on the court bring in recruits more than an individual.

If we make a couple Final Fours and maybe win a title, that'll open the floodgates, but I can't see any one player having that impact with his commitment alone.