2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Hiroshima Officially Wrong Now?  (Read 14783 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Is Hiroshima Officially Wrong Now?
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:21 AM »
Okay, he's replaceable, but what does that mean?  As a Big East basketball program, MU will be able to find someone to be its next head coach.  I know that just getting anyone is not what you're saying, so what are you saying?  Will MU get someone - starting without as talented a senior threesome as Buzz did, but inheriting a much better and more balanced roster overall - who will be able to go to four straight NCAA tournaments and make the sweet sixteen his third and fourth years?  I highly doubt it.  In which case, was Buzz irreplaceable or wasn't he?

With MU's current raised profile, and assuming the school puts a great deal of effort into getting the next coach, I think that MU might get the next coming of Tom Crean (but who probably wouldn't luck into a Dwyane Wade).  Realistically, that would be the ceiling, and it would be by no matter assured.  MU was extremely fortunate to have Buzz sitting there on its staff when Crean left.  I don't expect to see lighting strike twice in the same spot.  (At least not without another 44 year interval).
Just throwing this out there... Guessing you haven't broken up with a long-term girlfriend
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »
unless I am wrong Jesuits do not take a vow of poverty
you are wrong
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »
Just throwing this out there... Guessing you haven't broken up with a long-term girlfriend

Actually, I have.  Mick Jagger is reported a to have said that women are like buses, just wait and another one will come along.  He never said the same about college basketball coaches.....

I guessing that you weren't an MU fan through the Dukiet and Deane coaching tenures.  MU got lucky when it hired Crean.  After Buzz, I'd be disappointed if all they got was Crean II.  Hopefully, neither of us has to learn the hard way just how difficult replacing Buzz will be.

BTW, while you've got this time to revisit old threads, I think that you find some dynamite ones back on page 176.  Sorry, sixstrings03, I now realize that it was AnotherMU84 and not you who revived a seven month old thread just to get Hiroshima back into discussion. I should have known.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:58:27 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »
Actually, I have.  Mick Jagger is reported a to have said that women are like buses, just wait and another one will come along.  He never said the same about college basketball coaches.....

Like Mick Jagger supposedly hooking up with Lady Gaga after the 121212 Concert..................

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2012, 09:34:08 AM »
So do those worried about Hiroshima and how LW/Pilarz wanted to turn MU into SLU care to weigh in now?

I stand in awe on how this board can get almost everything wrong without even trying.

I think what they meant is that LW/Pilarz were trying to get us into a conference where St Louis might be a member. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »
I don't read everything on the board all the time, but to me Hiroshima wasn't really a prediction, it was more like getting insight into the strong feelings/scenarios that were being discussed in the wake of a few "situations." I had heard almost an identical scenario (SLU, more traditionals, higher academics standards, no jucos, sick of Buzz schtick) a few weeks before it was mentioned here.  The SLU thing was the item that made me take notice. Obviously, someone higher up was working with specific talking points. I believe it was discussed. I believe it was and is still possible in some form or fashion.

This new conference idea is exciting, but I think we can all agree that it is a step down from the mighty Big East that we once knew. We are making ourselves feel better by embracing the idea that we are in control, that we have a say in who joins us and that it won't be that bad in the end. Considering all of the scenarios, this is the best we could have expected. But this is a step down from the mountaintop. Buzz won't be here "as long as you'll have me." This alone will turn us into more of a stepping stone. The wrong coach can lead to a decade of instability. Not playing 'Cuse, UConn, 'Ville, etc. and not playing the tourney in MSG will be a big deal.

Cords, Crean, Wade and Buzz have made MU relevant for the last decade. It has been awesome. Our recent success has skewed the perspectives of many. I suffered through the Dukiet years so I am appreciative of it all. But make no mistake, things will be much tougher from here on in. Thanks goodness we have a great recruiting class coming in.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
Freeport Warrior

+1

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »
To me the question is; Does the new league give impetus to SLU comparison, more traditionals, higher academics standards, no jucos, sick of Buzz schtick, etc.?  Or, has this seismic change shocked the admin/BOT into realising that top flight basketball is a fragile thing?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2012, 10:12:03 AM »
Actually, I have.  Mick Jagger is reported a to have said that women are like buses, just wait and another one will come along.  He never said the same about college basketball coaches.....

I guessing that you weren't an MU fan through the Dukiet and Deane coaching tenures.  MU got lucky when it hired Crean.  After Buzz, I'd be disappointed if all they got was Crean II.  Hopefully, neither of us has to learn the hard way just how difficult replacing Buzz will be.

BTW, while you've got this time to revisit old threads, I think that you find some dynamite ones back on page 176.  Sorry, sixstrings03, I now realize that it was AnotherMU84 and not you who revived a seven month old thread just to get Hiroshima back into discussion. I should have known.
All in good fun here... I'm aware my tone comes across a bit harsh especially on boards like this. You're right, I became an MU fan my Freshman year in 2003.

The support of the administration and donors (in my opinion) are the key to an institution being bigger than any coach. We have that now.... more than in the Dukiet and Deane days, if I understand correctly.

I am a huge Buzz fan, and as I've said elsewhere on this board, I hope he ends up where he is happiest. If that's MU, I am psyched. But if it's somewhere else, good for him... We have the support, cash and facilities to find another coach to lead MU farther.

We totally lucked out with Crean, but we no longer need a maverick coach basically running the athletic department in order for the university to care about and support BBall.

Based on what I've seen from LW and SP, they are rockstars in advocacy for our University.... in my opinion a level above what Wilde and Cottingham were. If Buzz can work hand-in-hand with these guys, there's no limit for my optimism.

But even if Buzz takes off I am confident in their ability to get a strong coach in to lead the team.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2012, 11:53:04 AM »
Forget the bus, man, I'd rather ride a train.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"