[Today at 06:52:04 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop fishing thread  (Read 158793 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Scoop fishing thread
« Reply #275 on: August 27, 2015, 06:07:20 AM »
Anyone been out lately?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #276 on: August 27, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
Anyone been out lately?

Fished the 2015 National Championship Musky Open Tournament in Eagle River this past weekend. There were 1,266 anglers and 195 muskies caught and registered (had to be at least 34" minimum). Biggest was a 49" and there were 2 48s caught. I had an undersized and lost one that might have taken big fish.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2015, 08:12:19 PM »
Fished the lower Wisconsin River last weekend.   Caught some nice size walleye and smallies.   It's tricky getting around that river but some good fishing. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2015, 09:45:39 PM »
Fished the 2015 National Championship Musky Open Tournament in Eagle River this past weekend. There were 1,266 anglers and 195 muskies caught and registered (had to be at least 34" minimum). Biggest was a 49" and there were 2 48s caught. I had an undersized and lost one that might have taken big fish.

I read stories like this and realize how f'ing lucky I was this summer with my first Muskie.

I've not been out since Canada.  Reprioritized when wife got cancer diagnosis.  She is well on her way to a full recovery!  All is well. 

Stone, are you going to Cedar Point Lodge this summer?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2015, 10:21:26 PM »
I read stories like this and realize how f'ing lucky I was this summer with my first Muskie.

I've not been out since Canada.  Reprioritized when wife got cancer diagnosis.  She is well on her way to a full recovery!  All is well. 

This was half day on Friday, all day Saturday, and half a day on Sunday. A lot of hours by mostly very experienced Muskie sticks fishing the lakes of their choice to catch those fish. I believe this was the most fish ever recorded in the 30 year history of the tournament.
Thoughts and prayers for your wife. Very glad to hear she's doing well.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2015, 03:32:24 AM »

I wish.  The crew goes about every year but I'll probably be going in '17.  Saving for a new house right now. 

I'm gonna fish Castle Rock Lake next.   I've been hearing a lot of positive things about the fish population there. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:35:25 AM by Stone Cold »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
Everyone's favorite Dukie is a big muskie enthusiast, surprised no one posted about his recent fishing in Beaver Dam

Laettner is an avid muskie fisherman, and so when SlopFrogBaits.com owners Steve and Amy McQuin (the BD husband and wife met Laettner at a muskie fishing show in Chicago over the winter) recruited Laettner here to host his camps, they figured they’d spice things up a little.

“They took my idea and just ran with it – and they even added a little fishing tournament to it,” Laettner said. “So it’s been a lot of fun.”

The McQuins organized the event – the camps for youth boys and girls were Friday and Saturday, the fishing tournament on Beaver Dam Lake was Sunday morning, and there was a silent auction and social event on Sunday evening at Beaver Dam Country Club – as a fundraiser for the Beaver Dam High School athletic department.

SlopFrogBaits.com is a company based in Beaver Dam that produces artificial fishing lures.

And the product is right up Laettner’s alley.

The 6-foot-11 former NCAA Division I men’s basketball player of the year (1992) discovered muskie fishing in 1996 when his strength and conditioning coach with the Minnesota Timberwolves (he played for the T-Wolves for four seasons from 1992-93 to 1995-96 during a 13-year NBA career) took him up to Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota.

“Ever since then,” Laettner said, “I’ve just been obsessed with it, addicted to it – I just love it.”

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2015, 10:25:56 AM »
That's a picture of a northern, not a muskie.

http://themuskielife.com/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:31:17 AM by mr.MUskie »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
That's a picture of a northern, not a muskie.

Agreed, northern, no doubt about it.
Ludum habemus.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_a7AZbJGNM

Watch this video. It is funny..but not the reason I am posting.  One of the guys in this video HAS to be Joe Fulce.  Literally has to be.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #286 on: August 29, 2015, 12:11:06 AM »

Best wishes to Mrs. Chili.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:41:55 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 29, 2015, 06:08:36 AM »
Thanks Doc...and Muskie too.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2015, 06:41:38 AM »
Got zeroed on Delavan last week.

real chili 83

• All American

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #290 on: September 08, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
The catch of our weekend.  Somewhere around 14 lbs?  But that was our best guess.  Caught it trolling in Door Co. on Green Bay.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #291 on: September 08, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
Would have never guessed a catfish on the big pond. 

Did you keep it?  Blackened catfish = nummy.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #292 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
We did.  And it was.

Caught him in about 30 feet of water about 350 ft behind the boat.   Three sheepshead also but tossed them back.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MUWarrior2007

• Walk-On
« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »
I've never done a guided fishing trip before, but I'm doing one in two weeks for just a day near Ely, MN.  What is the etiquette involved with guided fishing trips?  Do I tip the guide at the end of the day?  If so, how much do you guys tip on average?  Thanks!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #294 on: September 10, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
Yes, my opinion is that a tip is appropriate.  15 - 20%.

If the guide works their a$$ off, but you don't catch fish, that can happen.  Pay attention the small things a guide can do to help you.  These guides deserve a tip in my opinion.  If they take you to a spot, and tell you to start fishing, that's not good enough in my book.  Also, they should be willing to mark up a map for you  as well.

We had two guides in Canada this year.  Both were outstanding.  We didn't do well with the first one.  He was an old-timer on the lake and knew what he was doing.  He worked his a$$ off, but it was a tough day with a mayfly hatch.  He marked up a map that gave us a ton of productive spots on following days.  The second guide put us on fish, including a 51" muskie.  He too took the time to mark up a map for us too.

Good luck.  Who's the guide you are going with?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #295 on: September 11, 2015, 11:32:38 AM »
My step-brothers both worked as guides  when my mom & step-father had a small fly-in resort in Canada.  I think they charged something like $100/day (of which they kept 100%), but it wasn't uncommon for them to be tipped 200-300% on top of that after a good week (and there were plenty of those).  I'm sure they got stiffed once in a while, but keep in mind that this was a small resort where they were essentially a personal guide for the week, and depending on which lake they were on, they might each only have one person in the both with them on a given day.  Not to mention, they cleaned, prepped, and packaged all of the fish for the guests to take home.

You also have to look at the all-in price, and it also depends on the guide service... some of these guys who are just employees only get a modest share of the guide fee.  Some guys run their own service and keep 100% of the guide fee.

In other words - between two guides with a daily fee of $350 - I would be more inclined to tip $100 to a kid who works seasonally (who probably keeps <50% of the guide fee) than I would to the guy who owns the boat and keeps the entire fee.

As far as percentage, I agree with chili... 15-20%, same as a restaurant.  If you catch your bag or a trophy and want to show your appreciation, definitely increase the tip; however, don't ever dock a tip just because you only had a few nibbles the entire day.  If you go home empty because the guide was lazy and incompetent, that's a different story, but to elaborate on chili's other point, if your guy works his ass off but you go home dry, remember that not even Babe Wizzleteats himself can help you catch a fish on a bad day when it comes to deciding how much to tip.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »
Wife caught a 40"+ Musky on Namakagon this weekend, and had a 30" next to the boat before it snapped the line.

Other than that we had a really rough go.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »
4 smallies yesterday, in between naps on the end of the dock.

Back at it again this morning with a worm and a bobber....and reading scoop. Beautiful morning here in the northwoods.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:15:00 AM by real chili 83 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #298 on: December 03, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #299 on: December 04, 2015, 10:01:58 PM »
8+ hours on St Clair today. Didn't see a fish.

feedback